*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473212-Testing-testing-1-2-3-testing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#473212 added December 5, 2006 at 11:21am
Restrictions: None
Testing, testing, 1-2-3, testing
When I first gave my heart to Jesus, lo these many years ago, people told me that I would soon face a test of my newfound faith. There are at least two reasons for this. Becoming a Christian also means turning my back on worldly things, and doing my best to not succumb to temptation. At that moment I chose sides in this spiritual war between God and the devil. Satan didn't care for that, so he upped his attacks to sway my decision. It worked once, but that's another story.

The other is a matter of faith. Some say faith is believing in something that cannot be proven. We, I'm certain, could argue over the existence of God or even who He is specifically until the Sun goes dark. Again, I'm getting a bit off track.

There is another element of faith I want to focus on: its exercise. What good is it if we question that God will carry us through our most difficult times? It's easy to praise God in our best times, but what about when things aren't going the way we would like? Clinging to God through it all, even when our situation continues to deteriorate, now that's tough. That is a true test of faith.

That is also the entire premise behind the book of Job. He lost everything, his wealth, his family, and his health. Sure, he yelled at God, begged Him for answers as to why, but he never gave up his faith. Because Job didn't give up, God soon restored all he had lost.

There are times during these tests when God seems distant. We feel as though He backs away and becomes a mere spectator of our struggles. It's rude at least, and cruel at worst, in all honesty.

Or is it?

I love how Budroe calls God "Dad." Jesus did, too. "Abba" is the familiar, intimate name for Father. One of the things Jesus said was, as God's only Son, He claimed the rest of us as His brothers and sisters, thereby making us children of God, and He our Dad.

What do good parents do as we grow up? They back away after teaching us the things we need to know, because it's important we learn to walk on our own two feet, to ride that bike on our own, and to leave home with confidence. They will not know we’ve learned their lessons well until they see us exercise those lessons. That doesn’t mean they won’t help us when we fall. They help us to our feet, and then say, “Now go try again.”

God does the same. He may seem distant, but He’s still very close to help us to our feet when we fall. He also lets us know He’s close, either by that still small voice whispering needed advice, or through others.

God gives us friends to walk with us, to speak the words, to give the hugs, and to hold us up when we need. Sometimes we can’t feel God’s arms around us, so He asks one of our friends to do it instead.

Last night I had to leave writing.com for a while. It wasn’t out of sadness, despair or frustration, but an overwhelming joy. It started by me taking David McClain ’s advice and read Budroe ’s blog ("Invalid Item). I left a few comments, and he returned the favor by reading mine. What I didn’t expect was his offer to help me through my struggles. Here’s a man who has plenty to think and worry about, and he’s offering to help me? Wow.

That’s what happens, though, when you have a faith in God as strong as his. His cup is overflowing, and he can’t help but share it. He’s a true example of what living through and exercising faith means.

I also decided to create a blog header for him. It was no big deal, really, a simple gesture of how much I appreciate his kindness.

Because I saw it as nothing special, I was astonished to receive this:

Merit Badge in Imagery
[Click For More Info]

For creating the picture that tells the complete story of my Blog, before the first word has been written; for honoring all those who journey through the valley, and the Dad who leads them.

With my deepest appreciation,

Budroe

Thank you again, Budroe *Kiss*.

Then, to read all the support he offered to others also in need, and how so many have rallied around him, it was like seeing God’s face as well as His hands at work. I understood again, though God may feel distant in our darker times, He never is. The difference, I think, lies in whether or not we choose to see Him.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473212-Testing-testing-1-2-3-testing