*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473283-Happy-Birthday-to-Me-ebigsmile
Rated: 13+ · Book · News · #1171286
Thoughts between gasps for fresh inspiration. . .
#473283 added December 5, 2006 at 6:44pm
Restrictions: None
Happy Birthday to Me {e:bigsmile}
Another year has come and gone, with that skeptically accepted and increasingly ignored day of celebrating one's date of birth coming around again. This day, December 5, 2006, I'm celebrating my 52nd birthday. I don't tell everyone my age anymore, as it's more interesting to keep people guessing.

I think people somewhat "pigeonhole" you according to your age. Because people who grew up in the same world at the same time, similar ages do usually bring out similar perspectives on things. I'm a freak of my age, mostly because I didn't stay married long, and I never had kids. That's one thing I didn't anticipate in my life--not having children.

At this age, I don't see me becoming a mommy--even if I married someone with kids. Anyone close to my age would probably have grown kids. I guess that leaves my family aspirations in the "granny realm," which would be a nice second choice. In the meantime, my mom continues to celebrate with me, providing a wrapped box of something nice, and a wonderful card to go along with it.

I do such a poor job of keeping up with my friend's birthdays that they generally let mine slip on by without notice. I had one friend who was planning to help me celebrate. He asked me what I wanted for a present--then he started describing what he wanted to get me. I've been through a lot with this guy friend for the past 20 years, and our "discussion" made me realize that we don't have squat in common anymore.

Rather than being my normally demure self, I voiced my opinion loud and strong. It was the right thing to do. I hope the right conseq
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473283-Happy-Birthday-to-Me-ebigsmile