*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/475857-A-New-Freedom
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #1191863
This is one of my inspirational brochures. I write one a week and email them.
#475857 added December 18, 2006 at 10:26am
Restrictions: None
A New Freedom
This is a sermon that I wrote for another minister.

There is a campaign for a new freedom in America today.  It would appear that this movement is widely approved of by the public.  It is advertised by almost all the T.V. Evangelists of our time.  America shows its approval by sending their money to these ‘ministries.’

Television Evangelism provides a certain comfort and freedom to the viewer.  You are not required to interact with the congregation; you do not even have to get dressed for the services.  All that is asked of you is to send in your money.  You are allowed to listen to the message in the comfort of your home.  This movement offers another type of comfort, most of these television pastors will never say the words, “The wages of sin is death.”  They don’t say it because it would make the viewer feel uncomfortable.

Mostly they talk about the power of prayer.  Prayer is a powerful thing.  I have seen it work miracles.  I have no issues with this.

They preach what I call ‘Comfort Christianity.’  They will tell you that God does not intend for you to be miserable, poor or in ill health.  They tell you that if you believe, all that you want and need will be made available to you.  Here is the big question:  Believe in what?  Believe that if you send in your money you will have all this?  Believe that if you simply ask to be forgiven that you will have all this? 

I recently listened to an interview with one of these television preachers.  He admitted that he never uses the words sin or transgression in his messages.  He admits that the reason for this is to not make his listeners uncomfortable with their lives.  He admits that this is the reason that his ministry rakes in millions.

Like myself, this pastor has heard all the excuses for not attending church services in person.  The three most commonly used excuses are, “The church is filled with hypocrites.”  “I don’t have the proper clothes.”  or “I work all week, I like to sleep in on Sunday.”  Let’s take a look at these excuses one by one.  The easiest is Sunday morning.  Most churches hold services in the evening.  You can sleep late and attend these services.  Morning services tend to take about 2 ½ hours of your time.  These services usually only take about an hour and fifteen minutes at most.

For the next excuse let me tell you a story.  I once served a pulpit at a small church whose parishioners were mostly well to do folks.  A family of five came for the first time on this Sunday.  The father was the only one that wore shoes that did not have holes in them.  Their clothes were worn and faded but clean.  Every person there was glad to see them.  Was the fact that they were poor discussed?  Yes, it was.  I was later told that this family continued to attend but because of an anonymous gift they came with new shoes and nice clothes.

That brings us to hypocrisy.  There is no function or relationship in the world that you can participate in where you will not encounter some situation can be called hypocrisy.  Within any family situation you will find it.  Almost any parent will expect more from a child than they have exhibited in their own lives.  I expected my children to behave better than I did at their age.  I expected them to be smarter and more talented.  Do you call this hypocrisy?  No, you call it love. 
         
Each and every member of any church knows that they are sinners.  In all of us there is the knowledge that we can do better.  The true Christian knows that the best they can do is to strive to live as Christ taught us to live.  The Bible tells us that all fall short of the glory of God.  The television evangelist doesn’t.
         
Here is how it really works.  Christ sacrificed himself for our sins that we may have blessings and joy everlasting when we are through with this world.  As Christ said, “None come to the Father but through me.”  You must confess with your mouth that you believe that Christ died for your sins and that you know you are a sinner and want him in your life.  This is the only way.  It will cost you no money.  Only your heart, soul and your time.

HE is the ONLY way, the ONLY truth and the ONLY true light to the future.


© Copyright 2006 Mari Snelling (UN: scootersgram at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mari Snelling has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/475857-A-New-Freedom