*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/476123
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1192358
Set around 1870: Daniel's dream to be a teacher comes true in ways he didn't expect.
#476123 added December 19, 2006 at 10:29pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7
A real surprise came for Daniel during school hours one afternoon. He was in the middle of giving a spelling bee when Jacob came into the school house.

“I’m sorry to interrupt!” Jacob said as he twisted his hat in his hands.

“That’s all right, Mr. Conrad!” Daniel smiled, “What can I do for you?”

“Well this is the usual time for me to come by.” Jacob said, “Something came for you, and I thought you should see for yourself.”

This peeked Daniel’s curiosity, and he followed the man outside. To his surprise, his brothers were standing there. The homesickness Daniel had felt for the last several weeks seemed to diminish slightly. He greeted his brothers with a hug. The three boys laughed with joy upon seeing each other. Daniel bombarded his brothers with questions about home.

“How’s Pa?” he asked, “Are the crops doing all right? Is Will doing well in school?”

“Slow down, little brother!” Timothy chuckled, “Everyone is fine, and the crops are doing well.”

“It’s a little slow around the house, so Pa thought we might come out here and see how you were doing.” John said.

“I’m glad you did!” Daniel said, “I know I’ll be home in a few more weeks, but it’s still good to see you guys again!”

“Jacob said there was some trouble out here a while back…” John said with a worried look to his face.

Daniel glanced at Jacob, and the older man looked apologetic. Daniel had neglected telling his family about the dangers associated with teaching here. In fact, he neglected telling them that he was teaching Negroes. It wasn’t that his family would object, but he knew that they would worry about him. Now the time of truth came with his brothers here, both demanding that he tell the entire truth now.

“There’s a lot I have to tell you.” Daniel said, “I have a class right now. I’ll come into town after school, all right?”

“Begging your pardon,” Jacob said, finally stepping into the conversation, “But it’s not very safe for you right now, Daniel. The people in town have been warned not to associate with you or any of the people here. I’m afraid Eric hasn’t forgotten the fool you made of him.”

“I don’t think…No; I know Pa wouldn’t like the sound of this.” Timothy said.

“It’s nothing! Really!” Daniel confidently smiled, “You wouldn’t tell him about this, would you?”

“Daniel!” John said in a warning tone.

“Listen! Everything will be all right. I want to talk to you about it, but I can’t leave my class.” Daniel said, “I’ll be in town later to talk to you.”
~~~~~


Daniel barrowed a horse from Isaiah, and rode into town amongst the curious stairs of the town-folk. Daniel could imagine that the riders from several weeks back were there, watching him ride through.

He stopped in front of the general store and climbed off of the horse. Jacob came out and greeted him, then led him inside. They walked through the store, and went into the back which led to Jacob’s living area. Daniel’s brothers were there, and Jacob excused himself so that the boys could talk.

“Are you staying with Mr. Conrad?” Daniel asked.

“No, we’re staying at the hotel.” John said, “Mr. Conrad said we could meet here though.”

“I suppose he’s told you everything.” Daniel said.

“Yeah, he has!” John said, “Things that you should have told us.”

“And have Pa worry himself for the two months that I’m here?” Daniel asked, “I couldn’t do that.”

“Come on, Daniel!” Timothy argued, “It’s not even safe for you to ride into town. You could be shot on your way out! Mr. Conrad could be hurt or killed just for having you here.”

“Mr. Conrad knows who those men are, and he’s been threatened already.” Daniel said. “Guys, let’s not argue. It won’t do any good. I had to stay here and teach, despite the dangers. Those people are my friends, and they’re doing well. They’re learning to read and write. Mr. Conrad has been bringing them newspapers, and they’re learning all about the country without having to have someone read to them. You don’t know what kind of a feeling that gives me inside, knowing that I was a part of this.”

“All right!” John said, “We understand why you wouldn’t want to tell Pa. We understand why you want to stay. Just tell me one thing.”

“What?” Daniel asked.

“What are we supposed to tell Pa when we go home?” John asked.

“Tell him I look and feel well.” Daniel said, “Tell him I’m happy. Tell him anything but the bad stuff.”

“You going to tell him?” Timothy asked.

“Of course!” Daniel said. His brothers looked as if they didn’t believe him, so he added, “When I get home!”

This seemed to satisfy the older boys, but they didn’t mind telling Daniel that they didn’t like the idea of leaving him alone in that area.

“I’m not alone!” Daniel said, assuringly, “I have Mr. Conrad. The people from Freedom are my friends.”

“Well, we’re not worried about Mr. Conrad, but there was that little matter of your friends being afraid to kill a white man.” John said, “What happens if they come to Freedom looking for you? Your ‘friends’ going to just stand there and let them kill you because they’re afraid?”

“You don’t have any right to judge them!” Daniel heatedly replied, “You don’t know what they’ve been through.”

“He isn’t judging, Daniel!” Timothy defended, “He’s stating a fact. Who would you have to back you up if those riders came after you? Three men against one – two, if Mr. Conrad showed up in time – isn’t good odds.”

“You’ll only be here for two more weeks.” John said, “We’re going to be staying in town. We’ll send Pa a telegram, telling him we found a good fishing spot or something.”

“He’ll know something’s wrong.” Daniel protested. It wasn’t that he was ungrateful to his brothers. But this had been his chance to prove he could make it on his own. Obviously his brothers still thought of him as a little boy.

“We’ll handle it!” John said, standing firm in his decision. “You just watch your back for the next couple of weeks. We’ll help you!”

~~~~~


The next morning, Jacob went through his normal routine of getting ready for the day. After washing up, dressing, and running a comb through his thinning hair, he went out to the store to stock some of the shelves before opening. Unlike most mornings though, the three young troublemakers were inside his store.

“What are you three doing here?!” Jacob growled, “Breaking into a store is a serious offense, you know.”

“We’re not too worried.” Eric deviously smiled, “You see, by the time we’re through with you, you’re not going to be able to tell anybody anything.”

“Don’t be a fool!” Jacob said as he went behind his counter.

“If you’re looking for your rifle,” Eric said, “We already confiscated it.”

Billy smirked as he held the rifle in the air and said, “We also checked around the store for any other weapons you might have hidden.”

“All right, so you’ve managed to disarm me.” Jacob said, trying his best to remain calm and cool, “So now what’s your plan?”

“You were warned to not hang around those darkies or their school teacher. Yet he was here last night.” Eric said.

“That’s right. They’re all friends of mine.” Jacob said, “We’ve been through this before, Eric. You and your friends here may be able to bully others in the town, but not me.”

“Then it’s you we have to make the example of.” Eric said as he lifted his pistol and aimed it at the store keeper.

“Right now all you’re charged with is breaking into the store.” Jacob hurriedly said, “You want to add murder to that charge?”

“Like I said,” Eric cocked the pistol, “No one will be able to tell any different.”

“Eric?” Corey shakily said, but it was too late. Eric fired three rounds. Jacob clutched his blood stained shirt, and fell to the ground, dead.

“Eric!” Corey whispered, unable to take his eyes off of Jacob’s body, “You killed him!”

“What did you think we came here, for?!” Billy snapped as he hurried toward the back, “Come on! People will be here soon.”

“You said we’d only try to scare him!” Corey argued as tears filled his eyes, “You didn’t say we’d kill him.”

“You heard what Billy said!” Eric said, not looking his brother in the eye as he holstered his gun. Instead he grabbed Corey by the arm and pushed him ahead. “Let’s get out of here! We have another matter to take care of!”

~~~~~



Daniel was on his way to the school when he saw Josiah’s wagon parked outside of Isaiah and Sue’s house. He and Isaiah were loading a table onto the bed of the wagon.

“Good morning!” Daniel called out as he waved toward the pair.

“Morning, Daniel!” Isaiah replied with a smile.

Josiah merely nodded his head in Daniel’s direction, and went back to conversing with Isaiah.

At least he’s acknowledging me now. Daniel thought with a smile. He was about to continue on his way when the sound of hoof beats came into the area. He saw his brothers riding in, and they were calling his name. From the sounds of their voices, he knew this wasn’t good.

“What is it?” Daniel asked, “What’s wrong?”

“Mr. Conrad was found dead this morning.” John said.

Daniel was in shock. It was just last night that he and Jacob had exchanged friendly words. Now the man, his friend, was dead?

“Jacob’s dead?” he heard from beside him and saw Isaiah walking up. Several others gathered around also, obviously the sounds of these urgent riders bringing the curious people out. Sue and Mrs. Stewart began weeping. Betsy put her head in her hands, but no sound escaped her lips.

“They’ll be coming for us next.” Josiah muttered.

“Do they know who did it?” Doc asked.

“The blacksmith ran over as soon as he heard the shots.” John said, “He saw three men – the three who’ve been causing all that trouble – riding out from behind the store.”

“Then we need to go after them.” Daniel said, “Isaiah, may I borrow a horse?”

“Help yourself!” Isaiah said, “I’ll be coming too.”

“We’ll all come!” Doc said.

“No!” Josiah argued.

“Josiah, I don’t care how you feel about whites.” Doc replied, “Jacob was our friend. He’s been murdered because of us!”

“What do you think happens to all our women and children if the men ride out of here, hmm?” Josiah said.

“He’s got a point!” Daniel said, “Besides, I’m not sure how safe it is for you all in Bedford. My brothers and I will go.”

“You fought our battle for us once, kid, but you ain’t doing it again!” Josiah said, “I’m going into town with you.”

Before Daniel could reply, Josiah walked off to get a horse and rifle.

It’s our fight! Daniel muttered as he too went to get his things.

© Copyright 2006 my_pen_name (UN: acelt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
my_pen_name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/476123