*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/476125
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #1192358
Set around 1870: Daniel's dream to be a teacher comes true in ways he didn't expect.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#476125 added December 19, 2006 at 10:31pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 9
Doc looked after Daniel, stating he needed to stay in bed for at least a week. This wasn’t easy for the young teacher who was eager to get back to his students for the little time he had left. Yet the Doc was insistent. If he wasn’t there to make sure his patient obeyed his orders, he’d have someone else looking after him instead.

A week passed, and Daniel was allowed back on his feet with the promise to Doc that he’d take it easy. When the people learned that school was starting again, but would last only for a week, they all made sure to attend every class. On the final morning, Daniel walked into the school room to find the whole community of Freedom there waiting for him. A going away party had been arranged in his honor. Daniel felt tears prick his eyes when he was presented with his going away present.

“The children worked together on it.” Sue Wright said, “With a little help from my husband.”

Daniel smiled and unfolded the cloth to reveal a wooden name plate with his name crudely carved onto the wood. It was such a simple gift, but held so much meaning. Daniel wished he could find the words to express his feelings inside, but all that came out was an emotion-filled, “Thank you!”

~~~~~

Two days later, Daniel and his brothers arrived home. Their father was there to meet them, and when he saw Daniel’s arm in a sling, his face fell into a concerned frown. Daniel was bombarded with questions, and he promised to explain everything on the way home. Meanwhile his brothers conveniently slipped away to load the luggage in the back of the wagon.

Daniel did tell his father the entire story from beginning to end on the long ride home. John and Timothy occasionally threw in their side of the story as well, defending their brother as much as they could. James quietly listened.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you this in any of my letters,” Daniel said, “I know you’re probably upset with me, but I just couldn’t stand the thought of you sitting here, worrying for two months.”

“Is there anything else you haven’t told me?” James asked in an accusing tone.

Daniel lowered his eyes and shook his head.

“No, sir!”

The rest of the ride home was in silence.

~~~~~


Daniel was given another party the day after his arrival. Miss Wilson was there, asking him all about his experiences and jokingly saying she wished she would have gone instead.

Sam was there with his new girlfriend. She was a few years younger than him, and about Daniel’s height. She was slightly hefty, but had a very pretty face and a bright smile. She had enough merriment in her to keep Sam interested, but enough seriousness to keep his mischievous friend in line.

Daniel thought that as soon as he was among his friends and family again, that things would return to normal. But things hadn’t. Something inside of him had changed. Perhaps he had grown up more over those last two months. He was sure he had for he saw the world a little differently now. No longer was he as naïve as when he had left. His world was more than just this farm. His world was also several miles away in the small community of Freedom.

Perhaps his father had noticed this as soon as he had come home. Perhaps that was why his father had been so quiet the last few days. He knew Daniel’s heart wasn’t here anymore. Though Daniel tried to deny it at first, he knew the truth also.

A week later found Daniel daydreaming on the porch swing. The swing rocked itself back and forth in the breeze. Daniel could faintly hear foot steps, and felt the end of the swing shift with someone’s body weight. He opened his eyes slightly and found his father sitting there.

“I’ve been putting off asking you something.” he said. “It’s not an easy thing for me to ask.”

Daniel frowned as he sat up, and looked at his father with concern on his features.

“What is it?”

James sat in silence for several seconds, then finally took a deep breath.

“When do you plan on going back?”

Daniel’s eyes reflected the sadness he heard in his father’s voice. His father had known his thoughts all along.

“I was hoping soon…If you can spare me.”

James smiled at his son.

“Spare you? I’d do anything to keep you.” he said, “But not if it would make you unhappy.”

“I want to stay here with you, Pa!” Daniel said as he felt a lump in his throat, “If only I could have both worlds.”

James laid a hand on Daniel’s knee and squeezed it.

“I’ve said it before; you’ve found your place in life.” James said, “Not many people are that lucky. It’d be selfish of me to ask you to leave it, and foolish of you to ignore it.”

Daniel reached over and embraced his father in a hug.

“I love you, Pa!” he said in a trembling voice.

“I love you too!” his father replied, “And I’m very proud of you.”

~~~~~

A month later, Daniel was on his way back to Freedom, but this time by horse. He bypassed the town of Bedford, wishing deep down that he could stop by the General Store and find Mr. Conrad behind the counter.

He cut through the woods, and found the path that led to Freedom. He was there within an hour, and was greeted by the friendly faces of Miss Betsy, the Wrights, and soon Doc who came out to greet him as Daniel stopped his horse in front of his office.

“If there’s still an opening for a school teacher, and if there’s still a place for me in your home, I think I might stay a while.” Daniel said.

Doc’s big smile went to a firm looking frown.

“You’ll do the cooking?” he asked.

“I’ll do the cooking!” Daniel agreed.

“Then there’s a place for you.” Doc said as his grin returned.

Daniel laughed and jumped off the horse. Hugs and handshakes were passed around the small group as they welcomed Daniel back. The group went quiet when Josiah walked through the middle of the crowd, his face as somber as ever. Daniel’s smile didn’t fade. He didn’t care what Josiah thought. He was still glad to be here among these people, and even glad to see Josiah again. To his delight, Josiah cracked a smile and extended his hand.

“Welcome home, friend!” he said.

The crowd of people chuckled as Daniel’s smile broadened into a huge grin. He took Josiah’s hands and gave it a firm and friendly shake.

“Thanks, friend!”

THE END

© Copyright 2006 my_pen_name (UN: acelt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
my_pen_name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/476125