*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/477448-Im-Sorry-President-Ford
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#477448 added December 27, 2006 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
I'm Sorry, President Ford
When Gerald Ford became Vice President, I was 21 years old. When he became President, I was 22.

I remember how the media and comedians made fun of him when he slipped on the stairs of Airforce One. I remember them making fun of him when he goofed up playing golf. I didn't remember that he had been a star athlete. Perhaps I never really knew.

I remember that he pardoned Nixon. How could I forget that, since it caused such an uproar. Last night as I listened to why he did that, it made sense to me. He wanted the chance for the country to go on to other things and for himself to do Presidential things.

What surprised me this morning, though, was that first speech Gerald Ford made after becoming President. I don't remember that at all.

He said he wanted to be the President for everyone - black and white, rich and poor, feminist and male chauvinist, Christian, Jew and atheist. Then he said, "If there are any atheists left after what we've been through." And then he asked for the prayers of his countrymen.

I really don't remember that at all. But I think it's because those words, the asking of everyone's prayers was not an unusual thing back then. Yes, prayers had been taken out of schools. But still most people attended some kind of worship service. President Ford knew that most folks believed in God and prayed.

Today, folks get angry at President Bush for invoking the name of God or for quoting Scripture. But in the 70's that was not something that made folks angry. It was a normal part of every day life, even (or especially) in the life of our President.

Somewhere between 1974 and today, politicians have either stopped going to church or started doing so secretly - in case it might offend their constituents.

I'm sorry, President Ford, that I didn't remember any of that first speech you gave as President. But I won't forget it now. Now it stands out because it's something different. Something not everyone would be brave enough to say or ask.

Last night and this morning, the news media and people who knew you best talked about what a nice man you were and how you were able to help our country heal. I'm certain that your faith was instrumental in that.

I wish I had heard that speech when you made it so many years ago. But I'm glad I heard it now. Rest in peace, Gerald Ford.



© Copyright 2006 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/477448-Im-Sorry-President-Ford