*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480530-Grand-children-my-little-gifts-from-God
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1200517
A Day In The Life......
#480530 added January 10, 2007 at 9:48pm
Restrictions: None
Grand children, my little gifts from God
Today was a very good day.  I spent it with my son and grand children.  In my book, there's nothing like grand kids to cheer a body up!

Hayden Eileen is four.  Cute as a button with sandy brown hair and big blue eyes. Every body is her "friend".  She assumes strangers are just friends she hasn't met yet.  She is a high energy child that gets up with the chickens and goes non-stop until bedtime. 

She is a risk taker, just like her daddy. Has to be watched every minute of every day.  She was just two when she  managed to catch all the adults on the deck looking elsewhere for only a second, which was all she needed to mount her green, plastic tractor, and fly down the wheelchair ramp into the fenced yard.  (Something she had attempted several times before, but was never able to complete, thanks to those pesky adults!)  At the bottom of the ramp, the tractor continued on, but Hayden didn't.  She landed on the sidewalk with a thump, and before anyone could get to her, she jumped up, brushed off her butt with her hand, and exclaimed to the crowd, "Hey guys, I did it!"  I call her "Crash and Burn".

Her brother, on the other hand, is totally laid back and cautious.  Named after his great grandfather, Alton William is a deep thinker.  He's happy to sit is someones lap and observe.  Never too far from a trusted adult.  Hopefully, he will continue to do his own thinking and not allow his sister to lead him astray, 'cause I know she'll try!  He shares his sisters blue eyes and brown hair, but that's about where the similarities end.

I was present at both of their births and hope to be around to see what kind of adults they will become.  I definately have to be around long enough to see "the parents curse" come to fruition.  You know, the old, "I hope your kids grow up to be just like you!"  I know my dad took so much joy in uttering those words to me, then watching as my son pushed limits and exasperated me. He would smile, shake his head and mutter, "Uh huh, just like you, isn't it fun?"

I love to watch my son parent.  He never complains about changing dirty diapers and plays with them for hours.  "Table time" was always special to him when he was young and it warms my heart to see him carry on the tradition of spending time every day, playing together at the table.  Puzzles, play-doh, games, or coloring books and crayons, the activity was never as important as just spending time together, creating, laughing and just plain goofing off. 

I've come to the conclusion that grand children are gifts from God, a reward for all those tough years of thankless parenting.


** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2007 LuAnn Layne (UN: sweetlu12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LuAnn Layne has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480530-Grand-children-my-little-gifts-from-God