*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480726-Sugar-Fixing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#480726 added January 11, 2007 at 6:05pm
Restrictions: None
Sugar Fixing
Isn't it strange the sorts of things we can get addicted to? Around this time last year I was doing really well with weight watchers. I was losing weight and had learnt pretty much everything they teach you about controling your weight. What are the right foods, the wrong foods and how important exercise is to getting fit and healthy.

Now days the weight I lost has been stacked back on but I know it's because for the past six months I haven't been careful to avoid the bad and I haven't been exercising nearly enough to counter it. *sighs* It takes a great deal of effort to lose weight and even more to keep it off. I'd love to reach goal weight but so far temptations keep proving too great. My willpower isn't there, or perhaps I'm not settling to the idea that looking great feels better than tasting great.

With my mother newly diagnosed diabetic I'd have thought I'd be even more conscious of what I eat that is bad for me. Odds are I'll develop diabetes as I get older as well, especially if I continue on as I have been lately. I try to be good with my meals but then the sugar cravings hit and I binge. Binging on sugar once in a while is better than having a little bit regularly but binging on sugar every day is very bad. It's expensive too, buying all this junk adds up in my expenses and makes me wince.

But really the sugar craving is strange. I've been addicted to smoking, and caffeine in the past and this feels like another addiction. The cravings come on at certain times of the day and I feel horrible withdrawl if I don't give into them. I know that it's really a case of breaking the cycle by not giving into the cravings but it's easier to talk about then to do. I know I can however because I no longer smoke and it's been about a month since I last had caffeine and I'm no longer craving either except in rare moments of temptation.

It was easy to give up both the smokes and the cola in comparison to this sugar addiction. Even when I was doing weight watchers I knew sugar was my downfall. I could do everything else right, workout every day, each healthy regular meals and lose weight guarenteed. But if I had sugar in the week I'd gain. It took me ten weeks to get into the hang of that fact because I used to drink cordial with sugar instead of drinking water. It adds up fast.

Now I drink sugar-less but chocolates and candy are my downfall. It's not even the flavor so much as the sugar hit my body craves. *ponders* Perhaps the sugar is even related to the insomnia since now I think about it this all started in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I know I have to get this back under control. In the past I've dealt with addiction by replacing a bad habit with a good one. I might have to stock up on sugar-free gum again and chew instead of choc. *sighs*

Giving up sweets. How utterly evil is that? *grimaces* I'm a chocoholic. I love my chocolate and candy. But ultimately I know how bad it is for me on all levels. So no more. Be healthy, lose weight, save money. I have to focus on the positives of why it's important to stop giving into these cravings. I can do it, might have to stock up on some rabbit food nibbles too.

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480726-Sugar-Fixing