*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/482573-Some-Comments-of-Police-Officers
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1188034
Blog on writing; Poetry and short stories - comments, critiques et al.
#482573 added January 20, 2007 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
Some Comments of Police Officers
Thought I'd throw out a few comments about police officers...

As some of you are aware (if you read my "250 things about me" in my port, that I've been in law enforcement for over 30 years. I am currently a police chief in Massachusetts and will be retiring in a couple of years...

I found that a friend here at WDC put some comments into the daily blog about an incident involving a "relative" which alldgedly involved the inappropriate behavior of a couple of police officers....of course that began the diatribe that ALL police officers are "bad" guys... all are arrogant, abuse power, are rude, insensitive..etc....Although I am well aware that there are "bad" cops out there (as there are "bad" people in any occupation), I was a bit offended that all police officers were lumped together in this catagory.

Personally, I think that any police officer should be held accountable for their actions...we are held to a "higher standard of behavior" than ordinary citizens and frankly, that's the way it should be! All appropriate disciplinary action should be taken if it is proven that an officer behaved inappropriately....if they have engaged in criminal behavior, they have the "book thrown at them" it has to be this way, to keep the public trust.

Unfortunately, I find that for a majority of people, the problem is that they are not willing to take responsibility for their own actions.
Just about everyone I have ever met,, has their "bad" cop stories...
It usually goes something like this: "You know, my brother got stopped by this cop the other day...what an"A-hole"...he was only going 2 mph over the speed limit and the cop gave him a $100.00 ticket....
UmmmmmmmmHmmmmmmm, I see.....
In the instances I've looked into, Brother "Joe" for some reason failed to tell you that he was actually going about 20MPH over the speed limit, in a school zone, with the lights flashing and kids everywhere (Yep, confirmed pretty much by the school crossing guard who couldn't believe how fast the guy was going...thank God the cop was there...some of those kids could have been killed)....
And Oh Yeah....Joe forgot to tell ya that when the cop walked up to the window, good ole Joe started yelling "What the F**k you stopping me for? Don't you have anything better to do...like going after some real criminals instead of harassing me? What's the matter, you didn't get your free coffee and donuts this morning??? (yep, the crossing guard and a couple of parents heard this exchange too)...
Gee, I can't imagine why the cop didn't just give Brother Joe a warning....what a "A-hole".....
But the truth just doesn't make as good a story...and brother Joe wouldn't be a "victim" then, would he,...people just automatically believe the worst, without any facts or proof whatsoever...

Seriously, very very few people will take the time to fiind out the truth...get the facts....I have politicians say to me that they have received complaints about "those cops"..doing this or that.....
But you know, when I ask them: Specifically which cop?? When and where did this happen? Is there any evidence....any witnesses....they just haven't bothered or found it necessary to have any facts...any rumors...hearsy....second or third hand is good enough...
You think that maybe one of them might have heare of the U.S, Constitution...that any citizen is "innocent until proven guilty"...
Is there anyone who, if accused of wrong doing, would not want to be "tried" on the facts of the case...to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt"..Instead of the court of public opinion???

Cops are like anyone else...they are human beings...if you treat them with respect, they will treat you likewise....
If you give them a bunch of crap, well, quite frankly you deserve what you get....

Just an opportunity today to vent.....LOL

Any other opinions welcome...


Rick

© Copyright 2007 Richard Vance (UN: rickv1955 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard Vance has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/482573-Some-Comments-of-Police-Officers