*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483312-An-Indepth-Review
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#483312 added January 24, 2007 at 8:03am
Restrictions: None
An Indepth Review
*collapses in a heap* OMG it's FINALLY finished. I just spent pretty much all of today writing an indepth review that I'd promised a Persevering Poets Present member and friend. She had asked specifically for reviews of her poem over a month ago in the forum and as we discussed it I agreed to take the time to give her a blow by blow account, full critique mode.

That is something I really should be more careful about promising because it's actually very difficult to pull apart someone elses poetry. It's hard to stay positive and even harder to remember that in a way it's someone elses little jewel and they may struggle to hear any suggestions at all, particularly when they get so detailed and specific. Sometimes it's so very easy to take those sorts of comments to heart and I hope Cass finds my feedback leads her toward artistic growth.

Meanwhile I'm wiped out. That sort of work is intense and time consuming. Admittedly I got distracted frequently and worked late. I've given myself permission to quit early tonight. Just have to write my blog and then do some poetry.

Last night I got hooked on the poetry and ended up being unable to sleep. lol Talk about ironic. I'd gone into the day unable to bring together words for poetry, having spend the day being analytical instead of creative but by evening it was there on my fingers and the ideas wouldn't be quiet. Now the back of my poetry journal has a whole page of title prompts which will hopefully spark poems on days when I'm stuck for ideas. Each of them were making my pen itch as I wrote them down. lol

I've actually done a surprising amount of reviewing this week and I'm rather pleased with myself about that. Reviewing isn't really something I've held in high priority. I know there must be some experience gained by analysing and critiquing the work of others but I have to say I'm normally too self absorbed to be generous enough with my time to offer advice when it may or may not be well received. Too often in the past I've spent a long time putting together a great review only to have the writer respond with ingratitude.

I accept that I don't know everything and my reviews are my own opinion based on my twenty years writing experience but even if a writer disagrees with what I have to say they should at least appreciate what it took from me to say it. I respond with thanks to every review I get, even the one worders simply because those people gave me the gift of their time, something that is a particularly valueable commodity.

I've seen the top reviewers list and I'm notice those who get the most credit for reviewing tend to do lots of reviews. Quanity over quality. It frustrates me because I spend on average thirty minutes reading and reviewing each poem. Some reviews take even longer. The people who are recognised for their reviewing however are the ones who toss out multiple reviews in thirty minutes and don't really give the writers much to think about.

Personally, I'd rather someone pick apart everything they didn't like in my work then get five star perfection ratings. Primarly because I KNOW my work isn't perfect. I mightn't be able to capture exactly what the problem is but I know when there is one for the most part. Having said that, if a reader really does think it's perfect I'd love to know WHY they feel that way. What about it caught them? What aspects made the poem above average? Which lines resonated sharply and why did these connect most tangently?

I guess maybe I look too deeply into everything. A life learner, I've always pulled everything apart to see how it all works. Jack of all trades in the sense that my curiosity knows no bounds. I don't much like the game of cricket but I still insisted someone explain all the rules to me. Unfortunately they didn't succeed in portraying the 'point' of the game. Watching grass grow never did hold much interest. Not unless I could get beneath the soil and see the roots in action anyway. lol

Insatiable curiosity and short attention span. I guess I'm doomed. *Wink*

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483312-An-Indepth-Review