*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483567-The-Pursuit-of-Sex
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#483567 added January 25, 2007 at 2:11pm
Restrictions: None
The Pursuit of Sex
terryjroo: hmmm. *Puts on her red clown nose and rainbow colored wig* Can we go back to talking about sex? I promise, I won't lie!

elusive ennui warm inside : you know you could talk about breasts in the movies... that's not political. and okay wellll why not talk about tantric buddhism?... then you can at least have sex while you're in some 'lotus eating state of ego free bliss'

novusfemina: And tantric sex. Tantric sex is good.

Well, I've talked about religion and politics this month; I suppose I should give at least a passing nod to that other taboo topic of polite conversation: sex.

I have some passing familiarity with the concepts of Tantric sex: the interplay of the chakras, the Kundalini serpent and all that. We in the West, conditioned as we are by a religious tradition that tends to compartmentalize sex and relegate it to a "lower" or "animal" function, are often shocked by the idea of sex as a spiritual exercise.

Maybe if more of us thought of it as spiritual and uplifting, instead of mechanical or, at worst, sinful, we wouldn't be so bloody dysfunctional about the whole concept.

And why shouldn't it be spiritual? It's the ultimate act of creation. And I'm not even talking about its mundane result of reproduction; that doesn't create a life, so much as continue what's already there. No, what it creates is much more subtle. I've said before that reproduction is not, as is commonly assumed, the purpose of sex. A potential result, yes; not its purpose. Any number of mechanisms could have evolved by which the species would be propagated. Nor, thanks to technology, is the act itself essential for procreation.

Anyway, if this little digression wasn't enough for all y'all who have left sex-related comments after previous entries, feel free to check out my ongoing Daily Writing Challenge journal, especially some of this month's entries. "Overcoming Adversity [XGC] - just remember these are rough drafts *Smile*

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483567-The-Pursuit-of-Sex