*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484485-Chapter-1-Calos-The-Bear
Rated: E · Book · Sci-fi · #1210108
Three teens stand against dark forces threatening to destroy their world.
#484485 added February 7, 2007 at 7:56pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1 Calos: The Bear
      Calos cursed silently. He’d been practicing his sword fighting day and night, yet his mentor, Latos, always seemed to be one step ahead of him. Every thrust would be parried, every slash blocked. Eventually Calos got so frustrated that he lashed out with his foot and caught Latos on the shin knocking him to the ground and temporarily stunning him. As Calos was about to deliver the final blow, Latos’ leg whipped out and knocked him to the ground. With mentor standing over student, the match was decided. Once again, Latos had won.
         “See me after dinner,” Latos hissed.
         Calos wiped a strand of his golden blond hair out of his eyes as he watched his mentor walk away. Seething with anger, Calos returned to the lockers. He could best any of the other apprentices with a sword, but no matter how much he trained, he could never beat Latos.
         ‘One things certain,’ he mused, ‘If I ever beat him, I can beat anyone.’
         Slightly calmed by that thought, Calos took out his sword and examined it. The emitter was in fine condition and the wires were all connected. He would think sword fighting to be primitive if it weren’t for this. Instead of being made of steel and wood, weapons of this day were made of energy. Because of this, swords and shields would never break, bows would never run out of arrows, and all were deadlier. Good news for you, but bad for the enemy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

         You're probably asking yourself why these supposedly advanced people aren’t using guns or warplanes or things like that. Well, I probably should have started by telling you that this isn’t the timeline you know. Towards the end of the dark ages, a great wizard saw that many no longer believed in magic. So, rather than die out, all the wizards gathered and split the world in two. The followers of magic inhabited one world, and those who preferred machines lived in the other. As time went on the magic world began to incorporate technology into their magic. Just so long as power between them was balanced, there was no problem with this. This blend of magic and technology created great weapons and machines such as the sword Calos was using. Sure they can’t kill hundreds of people at once, but in my opinion it’s better that way. Better that the more skilled survive rather than the quickest draw. And like Calos said, they’re anything but primitive.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

         After the usual dinner, Calos walked fearfully to his mentor’s house. As he walked he wondered what he was in trouble for. Sure, he kicked his mentor, but that was a perfectly acceptable attack.
         ‘I guess I’ll find out when I get there’ he thought. When he got to Latos’ house at the edge of the practice field he noticed something strange. Unless he was punishing someone, Latos was usually the only one in the house. But on this night there were two adults. Worried as to what might be in store for him, he knocked on the door.
         “Come in” Calos recognized his mentor’s voice.
         Inside, Latos was sitting at his desk while the stranger was standing silently behind him. Latos was not a large man, but his appearance demanded respect. He had a stern face at the best of times, but tonight it was worse.
         “I’ll tell you right away that I don’t think you’re ready for this. But you are my best student, so I guess you’re the best choice.” Calos couldn’t understand what he meant by this. “Tell me, do you know of a knight named Wertos?”
         “Of course. He’s the most famous knight from my clan,” Calos said.
         “Well he requested you as an apprentice.”
         Calos couldn’t believe what he was hearing. How could a someone as young as him be taken as an apprentice?
         “This is a great honor, but I don’t think I am ready for this,” said Calos.
         “That was exactly what I said.”
         The stranger, who until this point was silent, knowingly put in, “ But I do think you’re ready.” As the stranger took off his hood, Calos stared in awe. He had the chiseled features of someone in top shape, red hair that was cut short, and the unmistakable appearance of someone Calos had seen often.
        “Calos, meet Wertos,” said Latos.
         “The Brotherhood had noticed you a few years ago. Unfortunately, it has taken this long to decide to train you.”
         “You must decide if you want to go, Calos. But keep in mind; your training is not yet finished. If you leave now it never will be.”
         Calos looked from his mentor to the knight and back. He liked Latos, even though he was often strict. But to be a squire, and one day maybe even a knight. It was amazing.
         “I’ll go,” he said.
         “Then get ready. We leave first thing tomorrow,” said Wertos.
         “Pack your things, say goodbye to your friends, and work hard at your new post.” Latos said with a hint of regret in his voice.
         As morning rose, Wertos and Calos left. Looking back at the city, he wondered if he would ever return.
© Copyright 2007 wyrdsmith (UN: speckleman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
wyrdsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484485-Chapter-1-Calos-The-Bear