*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/485015-Learning-Curves
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#485015 added February 2, 2007 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
Learning Curves
I always enjoy learning new things and find it quietly reassuring that the old grey matter can still cope with new ideas, even if a little more slowly.

Here are five positives I observed during my time in Gran Canaria.

1. Despite the weather and the scenery not being the prettiest I've ever seen, it is a lovely island with a very pleasant atmosphere and I'd definitely return at some stage. I'll have to persuade them to let me know when they next have a drought and maybe they'll fly me over for free.

2. I've always loved the Spanish language. I now have over a dozen words in my spanish vocabulary. Maybe in another few hundred years I'll have mastered it completely.

3. There are hundreds of Atlantic spotted dolphins in the area and we were lucky enough to see them.

4. The Spanish make wonderful shoes. *Smile*

5. I'm not a big television fan but the trumping variety we had in our room really entertained me.

But of course, there have to be five negative observations to balance things out.

1. It DOES rain in Gran Canaria. They average around two weeks a year of rainfall and we just had to hit one of them.

2. The Canary Islands do not belong to the EU. My plan to bring back 6 months supply of cheap cigarettes was thwarted as I daren't risk bringing more than the allowed 200 through customs. I know, I know...I should give it up...Manyana

3. My hubby should be awarded a degree in stating the obvious. Phrases like 'It's stopped raining,' 'The sand's golden on this beach,' and 'Here's the bus,' assure me if I ever go blind I won't need a trained labrador.

4. When you book a hotel it's a good idea to ask for a room on a lower floor. Being stuck at the top and sharing tiny lifts with overweight, vociferous Germans is not my ideal way of starting the day.

5. Finding a 'limited edition' perfume by your favourite cosmetic company in the duty free shop at the airport can be a big disappointment when you get it home and discover it's aftershave.

Photos to be posted in the near future and I'll do my best to catch up a little soon. Cream-crackered again tonight as we didn't get home until 5.00am this morning. I think I need a holiday in the sun...maybe I should try the Sahara desert.


© Copyright 2007 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/485015-Learning-Curves