*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487532-Will-it-rain-or-sleet-or-snowor-all-of-the-above
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#487532 added February 12, 2007 at 7:07pm
Restrictions: None
Will it rain or sleet or snow...or all of the above???
Days ago, the weather folks started talking about this winter storm heading our way - to the mid-west. Right now, I guess it's a low pressure system over Texas. Frankly, I love my friends in Texas but I wish they would keep that ol' low pressure system or maybe send it off to the Gulf. Instead it's heading for us'ns.

But different TV and radio stations have different thoughts about what's about to happen. Even the weather fella and his own computer model are differing (bickering?) now. The computer thinks the way the system will hit means only rain and sleet for Cincinnati. The human part of the equation says, "Nope. We're getting snow and ice and sleet and rain." I wish the guy and his computer wouldn't fuss. But I also wish - hope - pray - they're both wrong. I hope we have some warm and light drizzle of rain. Why not? Remember...Punxsutawney Phil said that Spring would arrive early this year? So, let's have it already!

I do feel sorry for the folks out in Colorado and those in up-state New York. Getting six feet of snow is just unfathomable. I don't like the snow, but I do like that word - unfathomable. Incomprehensible - that's what you call getting that much snow in such a short time! In the news, I saw men on their roofs shoveling and sweeping snow from the roofs to the ground. That much snow can wreck havoc on rooftops and the ceilings underneath.

Wreck havoc? Using those two words together seems, well, redundant, doesn't it? But, hey, I remember us using that very phrase growing up in Pittsburgh and it has stuck with me. I know, I know that they both have to do with destruction, devastation and damage. But that's the way we talked. (The dictionary suggests, "work havoc.") I have not retained many of the Pittsburgh phrases with which I grew up, but that's one.

Also...
gum bands - for rubber bands
cucky - yucky
doohickey - something whose name you can't remember
and nebby - nosey.
For more Pittsburghese see: "Please? Oh Pah-leeeeeze!

Supposedly, in about 30 minutes we should be seeing some kind of precipitation around here. Unless you switch the TV station and listen to that guy say it should start in about 90 minutes. Maybe it won't start at all. And that would be a blessing.

Later gators.


© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487532-Will-it-rain-or-sleet-or-snowor-all-of-the-above