*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/488743-More-Winny-and-Eleanor-tidbits
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
#488743 added February 17, 2007 at 7:33pm
Restrictions: None
More Winny and Eleanor tidbits
Two entries in one day. Wow. I'm turning into a real chatterbox ain't I? The reason for this second post was inspired by some Winston Churchill quotes I just read. It seems the more I read about Winston Churchill and Eleanor Roosevelt, the more impressed I am. Although I did read one of Churhill's quotes about Ghandi I wasn't taken with, overall I greatly admire his quick wit, way with words, strength of convictions and his courage. Here's a few quotes from Winny you might enjoy...


"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

"Clement Attlee is a modest man, with much to be modest about."

Opposition MP: Mr. Churchill, "Must you fall asleep during one of my speeches?"
Winston (opening one eye): "No, it is purely voluntary."

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play, bring a friend... if you have one."
George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one."
Winston Churchill, in response

I also greatly admire Eleanor Roosevelt's courage and convictions as well as her compassion and her desire to help those less fortunate. She resigned from the Daughters of the American Revolution in support of African American opera singer Marian Anderson, who was not premitted to preform at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. because the Daughters of the American Revolution, (D.A.R.), had a policy to not allow African American performers on the stage. She also remained dignified during some trying times, such as with her husband's affair with her social secretary. She ranked #1 for 15 consecutive years as the "World's Most Popular Woman" from 1946 until 1961. She's a lady who made an enormous impact on others.

"A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and in all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life, knowing that in this world no one is all knowing and therefore all of us need both love and charity."



















"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor

*Right*Check This Out*Right* "The Amazing Race Club *Left*Check This Out*Left*

© Copyright 2007 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/488743-More-Winny-and-Eleanor-tidbits