*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489127-I-know-I-know--Its-the-second-entry-for-today
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#489127 added February 19, 2007 at 3:31pm
Restrictions: None
I know, I know. It's the second entry for today...
...but I just had to add this before I forgot.

I have already written about what I think about the use of "Please?" by some many Cincinnatians. "Please? Oh Pah-leeeeeze!

And I have mentioned - elsewhere - how funny I think it is that folks from Cincinnati think spaghetti sauce is chili. http://ezinearticles.com/?Only-in-Cincinnati&id=322784

This other thing really puzlles me, although it's about Ohio and not just Cincinnati.

I have lived in PA and in MI. I've lived in three different cities in MI. In PA, although I always lived in the Pittsburgh area, I did live in four separate areas in or near the city. In every one of these the local governing agencies had ordinances about snow and sidewalks.

In each instance, the local governing bodies insisted that homeowners and business owners remove snow from the sidewalks in front of their properties by shoveling and salting them. If someone fell on the sidewalk outside of your home or business and you had not removed the snow and ice from it, you could be in big trouble. You could be sued. And, in the areas where I grew up in the 'Burgh, you could be cited and fined for not tending to your walkways, even if no one ever did slip and fall on them.

Here in the state of Ohio, things are different. If you DO shovel snow on your sidewalks and otherwise tend to them like a normal person would, and someone falls on your sidewalk, you can be sued. If, on the other hand, you just let nature dump snow and ice on your walks and ignore the fact that you have mounds of snow on your walkways, you cannot be sued if someone falls.

Don't you think that's completely backwards????? I surely do.

Besides, in other communities where I have lived, the US Postal Service could refuse to deliver mail if your sidewalks were not shoveled and there was not a clear path shoveled and salted to your mailbox. Obviously that must not apply here either.

How weird is that?


© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489127-I-know-I-know--Its-the-second-entry-for-today