*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489247-022007---Fasnacht-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1206540
Middle-Age Spread is NOT a Condiment!
#489247 added February 20, 2007 at 3:26am
Restrictions: None
02/20/07 - Fasnacht Day!
Fat Tuesday is traditionally known as 'Fasnacht Day' here in my little corner of Pennsylvania. It is a Pennsylvania Dutch phrase and I think it means something like 'night before the fast'. There is a tradiional food that is eaten too. It is round and donut-like, but without the hole These deep-fried creations, known as 'fasnachts', are somewhat dry, so, you eat them with syrup, butter, and powdered sugar. They are a BIG thing here and many churches, supermarkets and other organizations make and sell them.

I personally do not care for fasnachts. I have tried them at least a few times in my life, since I've worked in Pennsylvania Dutch country for over sixteen years. They don't have much flavor unless you get the ones that are deep-fried in lard. I know that sounds totally gross, but they are the best tasting. When deep-fried in lard they have their own sweetness and can be eaten without any syrup or powdered sugar. Years ago I worked with a guy whose dad made them with lard and he made a batch every year. He would always bring some into work for us to try These were delicious.

Today, I decided to have Customer Appreciation Day at the two bank branches that I work. To celebrate our customers I decided we would have fasnachts for them. Yesterday I went shopping for everything both branches would need. The total was almost $100. Apparently, fasnachts are not cheap.

I also bought a dozen donuts for my family, since many people know this day as "Donut Day" too. (Growing-up, that's what we always called it.) My husband doesn't like fasnachts and my daughter is just like him, so, donuts were the only alternative for us. I made it clear to both of them that the donuts were for tomorrow. If they wanted a baked good, I made Baked Oatmeal with blueberies yesterday. Well, I just got up and on the counter is the box of donuts with two missing. The more healthy alternative, was left untouched.

The bigger problem is that no one listens to me. I make a statement and it goes in one ear and out the other. It is the same at the bank. I asked the head teller at my other branch to come up with a list of supplies that she needed for Customer Appreciation Day. I wanted the list by the 9th but never got it. Finally Friday, after sending an email to her, she called me. "I'm not sure what you mean by supplies," she said. This is a girl who grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country and she doesn't know what supplies are needed for fasnacts. Give me a break. I ended up doing the list myself, which I'm sure was her plan.

Anyway, besides all of that, today will be a good day for our customers. We are serving coffee and tea also, so they will have a nice treat when they come into our branches. I expect this will go over very well. I'm actually excited about it since it was my idea, and this is the first project I have done since starting here last July. My boss was lukewarm on the idea, but she will be out of the office anyway for training. This is my baby, so to speak.

I have a trunkload of fasnacts and all the fixins and can't wait to see how everything goes. I will let you know tomorrow if the day was a success or a flop.

Have a great day!

© Copyright 2007 Victoria (UN: vlm0325 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Victoria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489247-022007---Fasnacht-Day