*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/490520-Yesterday-and-today
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#490520 added February 25, 2007 at 2:18pm
Restrictions: None
Yesterday and today
Early this morning, I made a list of things that I wanted to include here today. I added to the list as the day went on...and until I could finally write. *Laugh* That fibro fog. Gotta make lists...

*Check2* 1) Hurt someone's feelings
*Check3* 2) Computer day
*Check3* 3) Derek invented something
*Check4* 4) Boomers and older with HIV/AIDS
*Check5* 5) Eating together/apart
*Check2* 6) Google search - Valentine box
*Check3* 7) Birds

8) Sermon Notes

Okay, I didn't check off the sermon notes yet. It was good, though. We started a new sermon series and small group series. Today's message had one of my favorites in it. Philippians 4:13. Love it!!!

I'll write more about this later or tomorrow. Promise. *Smile*

***************

Yesterday I learned that I hurt the feelings of another moderator many months ago. I know she and I had an online discussion back then. But I didn't know that she was negatively affected by what I had said, nor that it had changed her behavior here.

I was really surprised. Those of you who know me, must know that I would never hurt someone intentionally. And I would certainly not have let hurt feelings go on for months without trying to remedy things. Hopefully now, they have been.

I feel so badly...*Cry*

***************

When hubby saw the brief posting early yesterday, he figured that it would be one of my two entry days. It probably would have been, if my computer had not been acting up a bit.

A few days ago, my virus protection detected yet another virus on the boot sector. I'm still not sure that it has been deleted. Sigh. Our computer guy is great and rather inexpensive. But if I'm going to have to spend $33-66 a month having him delte viruses, I could better spend that money, I think, on purchasing a new computer. One that doesn't have Windows 98, which is not very well supported by anyone these days (and not at all by Microsoft).

***************

My son came up with an invention while he was at work, either last night or this morning. It's not the first time he has come up with an invention. I can think of at least three others he has told me about. Some have even come on the market many years later, and he has wanted to kick himself for not following through with his ideas.

I suggested that this time he should follow through. But, you know, in checking the US Patent office site, I discovered that patent fees have gone way up. That just means that being the little guy with an invention idea, it's harder than ever to patent and market it. Grrr.

I wonder...

Does my son "invent things" because that was something his dad did? Because he grew up with his dad talking about patents and patent attornies? Or is he just smart and creative? Or all of the above?

It turns out that there is a patent attorney within about a mile or two of our house. Perhaps for his birthday I should pay for the patent application. One would think that the first consultation with a patent attorney should be free. Right?

***************

As I sat in the car waiting for Derek to get off work this morning, the oldies station had a talk show on. They usually do on the weekends. I think on Saturdays they talk about gardening, but I don't listen to that one. *Smile*

I guess on Sundays they talk about health matters. Since it's an oldies station and lots of baby boomers listen to it, baby boomer health is the focus of the programming.

Today? They talked about how many baby boomers and older (like our parents age!) are contracting HIV and AIDS. What? Yes, the numbers in those age groups are growing. Spouses are dying and divorces are happening and in both groups, the folks are having unprotected sex. Oh my.

In my parents' day, the only reason to use a condom was for birth control. In my day, we had birth control pills and not many used condoms. (Besides, in both cases we ususally waited to have sex until we were married.) Remember, it wasn't until the 80's that we discovered or learned about the AIDS virus...

Anyway, the lady speaking on the radio this morning was a 55 year old nurse who visits retirement villages/centers, nursing homes and assisted living centers to educate the folks about condoms and having protected sex.

Wow. My Mom is in an assisted living center. She doesn't remember the time of day or in which state (geographical *Laugh*) she lives. But she has wanted a boy friend since my Dad passed away. I surely hope those folks are keeping an eye on the residents.

***************

The next part of the health show this morning talked about eating. I had never thought about this...

We don't think twice about our spouses watching sports while we read a book. We don't mind that one spouse likes golfing and the other swimming. We don't mind that one spouse bowls and the other doesn't. There are plenty of activities that we will do separately.

But...we expect not only to eat together but to eat the exact same things. The nutritionist said that now that we know folks have food allergies and some need special diets for their own illnesses or disorders, we should be thinking differently. She said that if one partner likes or needs to eat 6 small meals a day, the other one should not be expected to do that. Nor should the one who only needs 3 big meals expect the other to eat his/her way.

I really never did think about these things. If one of us likes seafood and the other red meat, the answer is to cook both or go to a restaurant that serves both. The same with if one partner is vegetarian and the other is not. (Although my son says that when a vegetarian is one because of animal cruelty and moral issues, the thought of being close or kissing someone who just ate a burger is rather repulsive.)

***************

Here's something funny. Two people - non-members - have found their way to my blog because they entered the words "Valentine box" into a Google search. *Laugh* *Heart* I found that information in my blog statistics.

***************

This morning I heard the song of a bird that I didn't recognize. Not that I recognize many bird calls, but whether or not I can identify the birds, there are some songs that just sound familiar. This one did not.

The bird's song was a repitition of four notes. Each note was different and the third one was sometimes so quiet and fast that it was almost lost in the song, but it was still there. From a tree down the block, another bird answered. When the first "sang" the four notes really distinctively, the second one copied. When the first sang that third note a bit quieter, so did the second bird. I was fascinated.

Soon, a few other birds joined in with different songs.

It seemed to me that the song leaders had arrived first and were getting ready for the songfest. They were making sure everything was ready, that the music was available and the concert hall was ready for action. The soloists arrived as well and they were practicing. In a few short weeks, though, there will be a full choral concert as the birds worship the Creator and announce the arrival of Spring.

Today, they let me hear the first sounds of their rehearsal and it was wonderful!

I thought I had written something about the wonderful songfest of the birds, but I could not find any in my port. How strange. I did write about the wonderful dance of the birds, though. *Bigsmile*

Bird in Nest

 The Dance of the Birds  (E)
Birds of all kinds joined in the dance, and those who were not dancing rejoiced in song.
#486306 by Kenzie




© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/490520-Yesterday-and-today