*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/493640-Primping-without-Lying---cover-letters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#493640 added March 9, 2007 at 7:21am
Restrictions: None
Primping without Lying - cover letters
On Wednesday I mentioned working up the courage to, at last, submit one of my poems to a publisher. Part of the process as a writer is submissions. Unfortunately the financial backing just isn't there for poetry agents so we poor poets have to do both the creative and the logic aspects of being published. Part of the process involves writing a cover letter.

Now cover letters are both simple and complex at the same time. The purpose is to say enough that the editor has a gist of what they're about to read, has a rough idea what the author is like, hears their voice, has a brief sense of why they're qualified to write a particular topic and decide if they're going to even bother reading the submission.

The real trouble is that writers have to design a cover letter that presents a positive, enticing, and educated front to a publisher as quickly as possible. Publishers are busy people. They have so many submissions in their slush pile that they don't have time to waste reading lengthy cover letters. They have to make almost snap judgments and they've all got certain things that tip the scale between reading a submission or stamping out a form rejection.

Just as we do with work applications and interviews it's very tempting to puff up a cover letter. Sometimes the facts aren't all that glamorous so what do we do? The answer: Primping without Lying. *grins*

For example, I'm an "Award Winning Published Poet". It sounds far more exciting then admitting that this is the first submission I've ever made. It's also not exactly a lie. It's a primp but it's not a lie. I have indeed won awards and I do indeed have published poetry. The fact that my publisher is The International Library of Poetry (poetry.com), a vanity press, is not important. The fact that I've self-published here on WDC and a couple of years ago on redpaper.com doesn't matter. The fact is that I'm published. I'm also Award Winning. With multiple first, second, and third place awards here on WDC and an Editors Choice Award from the ILP.

As I was writing the punchy descriptive into the cover letter I remembered an anecdote I'd read in a viral email at some point about Motherhood. I don't have the email but I'll try and convey the gist by paraphrasing:

A stay-at-home-mother was filling in a form in the DMV when the attendant asked what her occupation was. In the past she'd had to admit, "I don't have a job, I'm a mother."

This response was usually met by the posh career women with distain and the crisp all cap word, "HOMEMAKER" scrawled into the offending career box.

Tired of being disrespected because she had acknowledged the importance of staying home to raise her children herself this bright, intelligent mother finally put her foot down and stated firmly, "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

The attendant’s attention perked and she proceeded to ask all about this intriguing and obviously respectful career. The mother informed her, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

*blushes* Ok, so I stopped paraphrasing that last bit and went and hunted exactly how it goes. The wonders of the world-wide-web huh? We can find anything. For anyone interested in the rest of that anecdote check out: http://buzzy.lifewithchrist.org/permalink/20888

Anyway, my point is that it's easy to talk yourself up without lying. You just have to gain a new perspective on your accomplishments. If you've never had anything published but you've been writing since you were a child you're at least 'Experienced'. If you've had a few five star ratings on WDC you've had, "A number of rave reviews." *Wink*

Another aspect you can use in your favor is a connection to various groups. Browse the web in your category for any prestigious groups you could join. Some have very strict membership requirements that require prior publication credits but others are free to join. Be careful in choosing to mention any of these because if you haven't done your research you could mention a group that has negative connotations for the editor. Poetry.com for example would probably suggest 'amateur' in neon letters.

Of course, the most important thing is to be honest and state your case. The best cover letter is one that conveys why an editor would want to publish your work. Never forget the K.I.S.S rule. Keep It Simple, Sexy (I use this because it's true in my case but silly, stupid or studmuffin work too).

Primp it without Lying but don't forget, if the editor makes it through your cover letter you better hope your work is equally brilliant. A fantastic cover letter will not get a sub par piece published. The work shouldn't need the cover letter to sell it. The cover letter just cuts down a publishers work because if you can't even put one of those together without correct spelling, impeccable grammar, or an interesting voice they don't want to waste their time on your submission.

Of course, the important thing is to press the send button or put the submission in the letter box. Publishers can’t reject your cover letter or your work if it never reaches their desk. They also can’t decide to publish it and pay you for it. So get the circulation happening and never forget the vital aspect you have to remember, KEEP WRITING! *Smile*

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/493640-Primping-without-Lying---cover-letters