*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494582
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1231654
The story of the War-Like Altani and their way of life.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#494582 added March 15, 2007 at 11:49am
Restrictions: None
The Altani: A Gift from the Gods
The moon was high in the sky, and the wind drifted softly through the trees as the night's denizens came out and went about their business. A wolf moved into the clearing. His fur was as silver as the moonlight that drifted lazily into the clearing as he waited. His eyes were blue, a clear striking blue that drew your gaze until his white teeth were around your neck. He had many scars from battle, the ongoining struggle of life vs. death. Tonight he did not hunt, tonight he waited for something. He lifted his muzzle to the sky and howls. His song was beautiful and and it rings out through the valley, echoing long after he finished. He sat back on his haunches and pitched his ears in all directions, listening.

She comes. On the fluttering of white wings she landed on a branch. She too is a hunter, her curved beak and sharp talons have taken many prey. She has tapered grey and white wings that carry her swiftly on the currents of the wind. Her eyes are brown as fresh tilled soil, warm and soothing one moment, flashing and unpredictable the next. The winged huntress preened her feathers carefully, then her talons. She looked to the wolf, measuring him, then she called to him once. He turned his head to her and together they called to the wind, one howl mixed with her screech. She flew off of the branch and landed on the ground. The wolf rose from his position and looked down at her. Then the wind stilled, and there was silence in the forest as the two take their godly forms.

The wolf, now man is naked. he carried a spear. His silver gold hair is long and braided. His chest bear the many scars of war. He held his hand out to the woman, a silent invitation made with his eyes alone. She stood from her crouched position. Her black hair is unbound and flowed freely. She took his hand and they embraced, man to woman. Creature to creature, one god to another. In the way of nature they mated, one soul calling to another. When finished, they lay in each other's arms and stared at the sky. She looked into his eyes as she moved his hand over her belly, which is already enlarged with her pregnancy.

"Tharanis, we have met, and loved as any other man and woman, as any other creature does. Now, there is life to be brought forth, and we must shape it. There is already many men and women in this world. I want these children to be special," She whispered her words softly, like a caress and looked back to the sky.

"Then we will make them special, Astraena. Has any other god not done the same with their own children? Magic, Strength, Power over the Dead, I have seen them all. What will our children be like?" Tharanis moved his hand back and forth over her stomach and kissed her cheek softly.

"There will be a male and a female. We should choose their gifts wisely. They will have to make their way on their own once we are done." She took the first child from her womb and held it up, the baby rings out its first cries. It is female. She turns the child over and pulled from her back two wing stubs that would grow with age. She smiles in approval as the child does not carry on, though she is in pain. "To the women, I grant the gift of flight, the grace of air, the beauty of the sky. They will be fierce and loyal so say I, Astraena, Goddess of the Sky. Your name shall be Sylva."

She took the second child from her womb, a male, he too is crying in a healthy manner. She handed the baby to Tharanis to bless. He took the baby and held him gently. "To the men, I give the shape of the wolf, grace of the stalker, strength of the earth. The men will grow and use this power when they war, when they have achieved manhood, and proven themselves worthy to take the shape, so say I, Tharanis God of War. Your name shall be Vasilios."

He placed the second baby in the arms of Astraena who set them both upon the ground and watched them age. The children looked to their parents in wonder. "Mother, Father, why have we aged?" They asked.

Tharanis knelt down to his son and whispered. "You will learn the arts of war, of discipline and obedience and I will teach it to you. Your mother will grant you knowledge of words, and how to use them to protect yourself and your people." He held his hand out and waited for his son to take it, then they went in the forest to speak of the things to be.

Astraena looked down upon her daughter and spoke frankly. "Bearing strong warriors will be your job. Do not tolerate weak, puny or malformed babies. The males will be stronger, but train your women too. No man, woman or child should be without the knowledge to fight. Teach them all to read, to figure and to reason, but do not back down. We have given you great gifts as there are many gods, who have many children, with many strange and wondrous gifts. Learn to use what we have given you and your people will prosper." She held out her hand to her daughter who accepted it, and Astraena took her daughter into the air to learn how to fly and the secrets of the air.

When the night was over, Astraena and Tharanis created 20 more of their children to populate the valley and left them to learn the ways of war. Every Altani today can trace their lineage back to one of the 20. This has always been taught to every Altani man, woman, and child that it was the Gift of the Gods that brought them into being and gave them their purpose.

-----Written by Anakreon, retired Altani Warrior -at- Arms

© Copyright 2007 Skyaire (UN: chrysanthys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Skyaire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494582