*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495253-The-Mathematically-Challenged
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#495253 added March 15, 2007 at 9:24am
Restrictions: None
The Mathematically Challenged
There are two kinds of people in the world. Don't you love hearing that basic truth/untruth. Obviously there are millions of kinds of people in the world. Every unique person is their own 'kind' in a way and we all compartmentalize in our own boxes. However, for the sake of clarity and to give me something to blog about (for lack of a better topic) we cover the word people vs. the number people.

Alas, I have the misfortune of being best friends with a mathematically inclined Trid. He is misinformed. For some reason he believes that math is good, healthy, and sane. Oh how deranged. MATH IS EVIL!!! It is the curse of Satan and only heretics and super geniuses (like my Trid who probably counts as both) would ever believe otherwise.

I, being, sane, sensible, and blonde understand that words are our salvation. In no way should math ever factor into our lives. Strangely enough I was an A grade math student in school. I say strangely because I never actually learnt my times tables. I to this day have no clue about fractions, algebra, calculus, or all that other mumbo jumbo. I can make change and I can count on my fingers. The only reason I succeeded at math was thanks entirely to some clever person who invented the creative persons salvation, A CALCULATOR.

I take no shame in being 'the mathematically challenged'. I expect our species make up a fairly considerate proportion of humanity. My God is language; I worship words as they are the fundamental key to creating beauty. Mathematics isn't beautiful to me, and yet, a math genius would perhaps argue for the beautiful aspects of a perfectly formed diagram or formula. They'd also argue the creative aura of mathematics being that all life exists to form that math explains.

‘The Fibonacci Sequence’, for example, are found throughout natural creation in various elements as the replication of life. Without this sequence of numbers nothing could exist. They are the building blocks of the division and multiplication of cells that procreate across the world and into the universe. Mathematicians would claim that mathematics is a universal language but it is obviously one that many, even on this planet, never come to understand.

The creative people would argue that music is the only true universal language. It transcends perceptions and people around the world all experience similar emotions invoked by music. Of course since music also depends heavily on mathematics we are left, once again, having to worship the evils of numbers. Satan rules once again. Perhaps numbers ARE the square root of all evil.

There are those of us who will continue to be mathematically challenged. I’m not ashamed of the fact. I am instead, very pleased that I converse well in my language of choice and can explore the right-brained thinking of creativity and imagination. Analytical thinkers, while capable of being whole brained, (again, like my Trid) tend to be rather anal and single-minded.

Having said that perhaps my inability to understand and absorb mathematics is a major failing in my mental associations. Is a logical mind a requirement to a balanced life? Mixing logic with creativity would create a more rounded persona, would it not? It makes me wonder about my readers, which of you are mathematically inclined and which mathematically challenged? Do you feel your life is influenced in any way by your different approach to subjects that require logic vs. imagination?

Having said that, I would suspect that mathematics requires a degree of creativity and imagination. Perhaps it is those of us who are mathematically challenged who are lacking. Ohhhh…. Maybe I can blame my lack of mathematical focus for all my failings in life. I can’t be an author, I don’t know how to do math!

*rolls eyes* Ok, I’m still in a low I should shut up and go put you all out of your misery. But before I do I have to say a bit thank you to Anyea for the great Rudy Blog Hound Hunt today. It kept me entertained when I didn’t much feel like doing anything today. *Smile* Anyea also featured my blog in her newsletter, "Invalid Item

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495253-The-Mathematically-Challenged