*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495608-Chapter-1-Liana
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Liana
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1233785
5 sisters connected by more than blood. 1st book in my trilogy. Please help by reviewing.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#495608 added March 16, 2007 at 10:40pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1: Liana
    He danced backwards to avoid the sword that whistled dangerously close to his throat but lost his balance and fell. Before he could move, he found himself staring at the tip of the sword. "I am very disappointed, Darren. You have not kept up with your training."

  "I'm sorry, Sensei," Darren said, looking up to meet his Grandfather's hard brown eyes. His long white hair was tied back and etched around his mouth and eyes were deep lines that spoke of both wisdom and old age. Konan sighed and backed away,  watching as Darren rose slowly.

  "There is a reason why I teach you how to fight, Darren," he said. "You know of the war that plagues this land."

  "We live in the mountain, Sensei," Darren said, retrieving his sword and sheathing it. "It is unlikely that the war will come to us."

  "That is but wishful thinking, boy," Konan said, turning to face the altar behind them. "For centuries, we of the Village of Val have protected this Sacred ground, watching as the land below us is ravaged and painted with blood. We are Guardians, boy, and yet we can do nothing but watch now as our world crumbles before our eyes."

  "We have no reason to fight, Grandfather," Darren said, facing the altar where a statue depicting a hooded figure with one wing of a devil and another of an angel stood over a gleaming sword. No one was ever allowed to touch it. He often asked why, but his Grandfather would always answer, "The Sword cannot be taken, because it will choose its own owner." Darren never understood what his Grandfather meant by that. "This is not our war."

  "We, too, reside in this world," Konan answered, raising his eyes to the shadowed face of the statue. "So when this land crumbles, we, too, will cease to exist."

  "If the words you speak are true, then why have been waiting idly in this village?" Darren asked angrily. "Why are we not aiding the Angels in their fight?"

  "The six-pointed star engraved on the headband of everyone in this village prevents us from doing so," Konan said gravely. "We are to take no side in this war."

  "But what does it stand for?" Darren asked, pointing to the dark headband.

  "The symbol is represents the six elements," Konan answered. "Air, water, earth, fire, light and dark. We are Guardians, representing neither side in this war."

  "But then what about our world?"

  "Will you fight?" Konan asked, glancing over at him. "What is it that you will be fighting for then, Darren?"

  "I…"

  "You have no purpose," he said. "If you cannot commit yourself to one thing, then you will accomplish nothing."

  "Then what-"

  "What're you guys doing?"

  "Ah, Fiora," Konan said, turning with a smile. "Is there something you need?"

  "The Council has called a meeting, Elder," she said, entering the room.

  "Very well. We will continue training later, Darren."

  Fiora waited until Konan had left the room, then turned to face Darren, her blue eyes sparkling. "Another lecture?"

  Darren sighed. "Is it that obvious?"

  "You shouldn't blame Grandfather," Fiora said, coming to stand beside Darren. "He might be a bit harsh and vague at times, but he only has the interests of the villagers in his heart. Besides, he's been raising us since Mother and Father died."

  "I just can't understand it, Fiora," Darren said, taking the towel she held out and walking out of the training hall. "He's been pushing us both harder than before. A month ago, his training methods were not as vigorous."

  "He must have a reason," Fiora said softly when they stopped at the edge of a cliff. They looked out over the land, taking in the green trees and the blue ocean that lay beyond. On the right, they could make out the Valin capital, Bern, with its enormous castle and on the left, they could see the dark Demon Castle, Kale.

  "Look at it," Darren said softly as he scanned the scenery before him. "You can practically see the line that divides both sides. And yet, here we are. In the mountains between them both." He raised his right hand and balled it into a fist, his obsidian eyes blazing. "What are we doing here, Fiora? Why are we watching as men are slaughtered and our land becomes a battlefield?"

  "Let it go, Darren," Fiora said. "No matter what we would like to do, nothing will change the fact that we are at war."

  "I want to do something, Fiora," Darren whispered, looking at his fist. "I can't just stand by and watch as everyone below us suffers. It's just… not right…"

  "Darren…" Fiora laid both her hands on his fist and smiled up at him. "Please. For now… just wait."

  "Wait?"

  "I'm sure that you will be able to do something," Fiora said. "Everything happens for a reason, right? You have to believe that when the time is right, what you do will help. If you just rush in, then what will you accomplish?"

  Darren smiled warmly. "You know, you're starting to sound a lot like the old man."

  "You should be more respectful," Fiora admonished with a smile. "He is our Grandfather, after all."

  "I know, Sis," Darren said. "I know." He turned to the mountain peak and sighed. "Well, I gotta go. I'm running a bit late."

  "Where're you going?"

  "Somewhere," Darren answered vaguely, turning and walking away. "Don't tell Gramps I'm gone though, alright?"

  "You're going to see her, aren't you?" Fiora asked suddenly and Darren froze.

  "Who?" he asked.

  Fiora shook her head. "Don't lie to me, brother. Please."

  Darren sighed. "Yeah, I'm going to see her. And seriously, don't tell him, or he'll have my hide. You know how he doesn't like anyone leaving the village."

  "I won't tell."

  "Thanks a lot." He started walking again but Fiora caught his arm.

"  Wait a second," Fiora said, then shoved something into his hands. "At least give this to her… and tell her I said hi, alright?"

  "What is this?" Darren asked, frowning down at the package.

  "Some treats," Fiora said with a shrug. "I imagine that since she lives alone in the mountains, she doesn't get a lot to eat."

  "So you knew?"

  "Well, you disappear often," Fiora said defensively. "And sometimes your mind wanders somewhere else. Girls are one of the few things that can distract a guy, so I just figured, well, you know."

  "How long have you known?"

  "A while," Fiora answered with a shrug, then grinned. "Is she cute?"

  "What?" Darren asked, flushing slightly. "What kind of a question is that?"

  "Do you like her?"

  "Fiora!"

  "Just checking," Fiora said as she stifled a giggle into her hand. "Hurry up, or Grandfather will find out you're gone. I'll come get you when it's time for dinner, okay?"

  "I owe you one, Sis," Darren said, turning towards the village entrance.

  "You owe me more than that!"
**********
    The Dark Angel, the Fallen One born in darkness, raised in light and endowed with powers that surpass even that of the Angels and Demons. When the blood of man and beast, Angel and Demon mingle on the Sacred ground, the one who is the heart of the world, the one who will either save it or destroy it, will awaken. But in this land that is about to crumble, who can distinguish between what is light, and what is dark?
**********
    He stopped and smiled when he heard the sound carried by the wind. The soft, sweet, haunting melody stirred something in him and made him feel at peace. "Liana?" he called and the music stopped.

  "Darren?" a soft sweet voice asked, then there was a rustle as she dropped down from the overhang above him.

  "Good. I thought you were gone," Darren said.

  "You're late today," she answered, pushing back the hood of her dark cloak and shaking her long black hair free. "Is something wrong?"

  "No," Darren said, then held out the package. "Here. This is from my sister, Fiora… who actually looks a lot like you. I never really noticed that... Anyways, she says hi."

  "You told her?" she asked, craning her head up to look at him and smiling slightly. "Did you grow suddenly?"

  "Uh… no I didn't tell her and… um… not suddenly, but yes, I grew. Why?"

  "How tall are you?" she asked, squinting up at him.

  "6'1. You?"

  "I'm only 5'2ish," Liana said in dismay. "I missed the times when we stood eye to eye. It wasn't as painful." She sighed and opened the package, popping a candy in her mouth. Her deep blue eyes immediately lit up. "This is great! What is it?"

  "Candy," Darren said, smiling as he watched her eat. "What do you have to eat up here, anyways?"

  "There are a lot of sweet fruits growing around if you know where to find them," Liana answered, chewing and swallowing. "But none of them are as sweet as these."

  "Fiora will be happy to know you enjoyed them." He paused. "Come to think of it, why do you stay here in the mountains? Why don't you come to our village? I'm sure my Grandfather will be more than happy to accept you."

  "I don't know," she answered. "This mountain has been my home for as long as I can remember… I don't want to leave it."

    "Why?"

  "This is where I live," Liana whispered. "And… this was where…my mother…and father…" A single tear slipped down her cheek.
**********
  "Fiora?"

  "Yes, Grandfather?" she asked, pausing with plates balanced on her arms.

  "Where is Darren?"

  "Um… I haven't seen him," Fiora said. "Why?"

  "The Council has decided that we will lend our aid to those who need it."

  "What?"

  "I believe Darren is right," Konan said. "We can do so much more for this world if we help those who need it rather than watching and waiting for the outcome. Please go find him, then bring him to the Temple."

  "Yes, Grandfather."

  "Wait." Fiora turned back to where Konan stood, robed in the traditional white of the Elder of the village. "Tell me the truth, my dear. Darren has left the village, hasn't he?"

  "Grandfather, I-"

  "Do not worry yourself about it," Konan said with a smile. "I knew from the beginning he would sneak off. He is curious, your brother."

  "Yes… and he has met someone."

  "Someone?" Konan asked with a frown. "Who?"

  "A girl," Fiora said slowly, placing the plates on the table.

  "There is a girl who lives alone on the mountains?"

  "…Yes…"

  Konan was silent, then he turned to face the peak. "Very well… Go fetch your brother… I will wait at the Temple"

  "Grandfather… is something wrong?"

  "No. Go now, Fiora." He waited until the sound of her footsteps receded, then reached into the folds of his cloak and took out a crystal bell. "It is time now… isn't it?" he asked softly, then closed his hands over the bell gently. "Very well… I will keep my promise to you… Mariah…"
**********
  "What is it?"

  "We have found a disturbance in the continuum, my lady."

  "A disturbance?" she asked, sitting up slightly. The dark robe she wore contrasted with her white skin framed by a mass of dark hair. Her red eyes narrowed. "What kind of a disturbance, Eliot?"

  "It seems that the Guardians are moving," he answered, his blue eyes gleaming. "The prophecy is coming to pass. Even now, the elements begin to awaken."

  "At long last," she murmured and stood. "Assemble the Dark Knights, Eliot. It is time for us to make our move. We will seize the Celestial power for ourselves, but first we need to collect more souls." She smiled slowly. "We can eliminate the Guardians first."

  "As you command, Lady Malkis."
**********
  "Isn't it getting late?" Liana asked suddenly. They sat together on the cliff overlooking the ocean, the breeze teasing their hair and clothes. "Don't you have to go back now?"

  "Won't you be alone?" Darren asked, tilting his head towards her.

  She shook her head and smiled. "I've been alone for quite a while, remember?"

  "How long?" She didn't answer immediately and instead averted her eyes.

  "The sunset is gorgeous, isn't it?" she asked, reaching out with her hand. "It turns the ocean a beautiful red. And yet…" Her hands closed slightly as if trying to hold the sun and her eyes darkened. "It looks so much like blood."

  "How long, Liana?" Darren pressed. "How long have you been alone?" She was silent. "Please, Liana. I know nothing about you, even though we often talk. We've been friends for… what? Four, five years, and I know virtually nothing about you. Why won't you tell me about yourself?"

  "Because there's nothing to tell," she answered softly, closing her eyes and pulling her legs to her chest. "Sad, isn't it? I remember nothing but being alone on this mountain."

  "Since you were a child? But… don't you remember your parents?"

  "No," Liana said, then smiled bitterly as tears formed at the corners of her eyes. "I don't even remember what my parents looked like, Darren."

  "Liana…"

  "I've been alone for so long, Darren," she whispered, opening her eyes slowly as her hand rose to her chest and clenched into a tight fist. "So long... I was so used to being alone… and then you came. I almost didn't believe it. I thought it was a dream… an illusion… but I didn't want to let it go." Her eyes clouded. "And you know what?"

  "…What?"

  She lowered her head and closed her eyes again as her clenched fists trembled. "I kept thinking when this dream was going to end."

  "Liana…" Darren said. "Listen to me. I know what it's like. I don't remember my parents either. They both died when I was very young."

  "But someone was still there for you," Liana whispered. "You weren't alone."

  "Neither are you. I'm here for you, Liana. See?" He clasped her hands and smiled at her. "See? I'm real. I'm not an illusion, Liana, or a dream. I'm real, and I won't leave you."

  "Darren…"

  "Please, believe me," he said, then reached up with one hand and took off his headband. "Here. Take this, Liana."

  "But… this is your…"

  "Take it, Liana," Darren said softly, pressing it into her hand. "Keep it as a symbol of my promise to you."

  "Your promise? What promise?"

  "The one I'm making to you now," Darren whispered, his obsidian gaze softening. "I give you my word, Liana, that I will be there for you no matter what." His hands tightened gently over hers. "I will be there to protect you, Liana. Always. I promise you."

  "Darren…" Tears slipped silently down her cheek and her lips trembled. "But… why? Why are you…?"

  "I guess you can say my sister opened my eyes," Darren said with a small smile, then leaned forward slowly. "Ever since I met you, something in me changed."

  "Darren… why?"

  "Why?" He smiled slowly and touched his lips gently to hers. "I guess… I love you."

  Tears flowed freely down her cheeks as she smiled. "Darren… thank you…"
**********
  "We move now, my Knights," Malkis shouted as her red eyes glowed in the shadows. Five men knelt before her, each with dark hair and eyes. "The prophecy has begun, and the five keys have been scattered throughout the land. We must find the key to Celes."

  "How will we find them, my lady?" Lance asked.

  "Take these," she said and they each caught the gem she threw.

  "What are they?" Ryu asked, turning it over in his hand.

  "These gems will serve as a link between you and me," she answered. "It will allow me to monitor your progress. And when a key is near, it will glow."

  "We will find those keys, my lady," Tora said as they stood and saluted.

  "Count on it," Eliot said from where he stood beside her throne. His blue eyes held no emotion. "We have already assembled our warriors."

  "Good," she said with a smile. "Then do not disappoint me, my Knights. But first, we will go to the village of Val."

  "We?"

  "I will take care of the Guardians. Personally."
**********
  "Darren? Darren!" Fiora called.

  "Fiora?" Darren asked, standing and waving. "We're over here!"

  "I've been looking everywhere for you," Fiora said, climbing up to join them. "It's not easy looking for someone in the mountains, you know." She paused, then smiled and held out her hand. "You must be Liana."

  "And you must be Fiora," she answered with a smile. She stood up and shook Fiora's hand. "Darren has told me so many things about the village, and about you."

  "I'm glad I finally got to meet you," Fiora said. "But I'm afraid Darren hasn't told me anything about you until today."

  "It's alright," Liana said with a small smile. "I kind of asked him to keep it a secret."

  "The view's great here," Fiora said, looking out at the ocean. "And the moon is full tonight. It's beautiful when it's reflected by the ocean like that."

  "I know what you mean," Liana said. "I used to come up here all the time to see the sun and moon rise and fall."

  "Have you ever thought about coming to our village?" Fiora asked.

  "This place is the only link I have to my family. It's like my home."

  "I see…"

  "Well, anyways… I was about to take Darren to the peak. The view is gorgeous at the top because you can see everything. It is especially beautiful when the moon is full and round and everything is bathed in moonlight. Do you want to come with us?"

  "I would love to."

  "This way, then," Liana said, then stood and walked away. "But watch your footing and be careful." She leapt lightly from rock to rock and stood at the top of the peak, waving down towards them. "Take your time!"

  "She's good," Fiora murmured as they climbed up. "And fast. Have you noticed that she carries a sword under that cloak?"

  "She has a sword?" Darren asked with a frown.

  Fiora rolled her eyes. "Don't tell me you didn't notice."

  Darren grinned at her. "Fine, I won't." They made their way to the top and gasped. "You're right," Darren said, staring out at the landscape. "This is gorgeous."

  "Yeah," Fiora said, then leaned against the rock that rose up behind her. "It's like a picture. Hey!" Her arms wind milled wildly in an attempt to regain her balance as the rock behind her crumbled.

  "What happened?" Darren asked, grabbing her arms.

  "That rock just… fell apart," Fiora said with a shaky laugh. "But I'm fine. Really."

  "That's odd," Liana murmured, kneeling down by the stone. "This rock is smooth… and there's something written on it."

  "Hey, yeah," Darren said as they knelt by her. "I have no idea what it says, though."

  "Wait…" Liana whispered, her eyes glazing slightly. "I can read it…"

  "What does it say then?" Fiora asked. Liana trailed her hand lightly over the carvings.

  "I hold the light and the darkness in my heart," she whispered, her eyes glazing slightly. "Trembling as I embrace the shadows …tearing me apart…"
**********
  "The Village hidden in the mountains," Eliot whispered as they hovered over the village. "The home of the Guardians."

  "I sense something," Malkis said suddenly, lifting her head and seemingly scenting the air. "Something… familiar…"

  "What is it?" Eliot asked.

  She was silent for a second, then shook her head. "Burn it," she said, her eyes glowing. "Burn it all. Leave nothing but ashes."
**********
  Konan sat cross-legged in front of the altar, staring up at the statue. The Dark Angel, he thought grimly. One who owes allegiance to neither the Angels nor the Demons. And while the Angels have white feathery wings and Demons have dark leathery wings, the Dark Angel has wings with dark feathers. A union between the two.

  We revere this Fallen One, awaiting their return. That is the reason we do not take part in the War of Heavens. And yet… Darren… this one boy… his ideals have swayed me to doubt everything I have believed. Is it truly right to allow this war to continue unhindered? But…
He opened his hand and looked at the crystal bell.

(He stood alone in the Temple when a gust of wind blew the temple doors opened. Spinning and drawing his sword at the same time, he stared at the woman robed in white. "Who are you?" he called warily, keeping his hand on the hilt of his sword even though he sheathed it. "Why have you come to our village?"

  "My name is Mariah," the woman whispered, swaying dangerously as she took a shaky step forward and reached out with her hand. "Please… help me…"

  "Help you… what?"

  "You are one of the Guardians, correct?" she whispered, walking slowly towards him. "The ones charged with the task of protecting this sacred ground?"

  "How do you know what you know?"

  "Please," she said again with a smile. "I am not your enemy… but I need your help."

  "What for?"

  "There are dark forces here that seek an ancient power lost to all," Mariah whispered, her dark hair swinging with every trembling step. Her blue eyes shone in her pale face. "Please. Help me protect this power…"

  "But what can I do, my lady?" he asked softly. "I am but one."

  "Help me… Please… take this…" She held out her hand and placed something in his.

  "A… bell," he said with a frown.

  "Will you help me?"

  Konan looked into her blue eyes and nodded slowly. "Very well, Mariah. I will lend you my aid."

  "Give this bell to my daughter," she whispered, covering his hand with both of hers. "And give her this message. Tell her that she is not alone in this world."

  "What?" He gasped when she collapsed and lowered her gently to the floor. "You-"

  "I'm afraid I can do nothing for her," Mariah said softly with a trembling smile. "She will face many hardships, many trials, and she will suffer dearly. But above all, she will be alone in this world for quite some time."

  "But what about-"

  "I can do nothing," she repeated. "The only thing I can do is beseech your aid in guiding my daughter when it is her time."

  "How will I know it is her?"

  "If I tell you… then whatever I say will come to pass. You must be sure."

  "I gave you my word, my lady," he said gently. "I intend to honor it."

  "In fifteen years, this village will burn." Konan's eyes widened. "And my child will come with the flames. Give her the bell and tell her to seek her four sisters. Tell her, the earth waits in Vane, then follow the wind to Bern. There, seek the child of flame then find the ship of Syrn.' Tell her that she will know her sisters by this bell, which will chime when the other is near." He nodded and she closed her eyes slowly. "She will not alone, because they will have each other. Promise me… you will guide her." When he nodded again, she gave a bitter smile. "I am sorry… but I have no one else to turn to." Her hand tightened slightly oh his as a single tear crept down her cheek. "I am sorry, because if you help my daughter, on that day… you will lose your life."

  "I will have no regrets." She smiled and her body disappeared in a shower of feathers that vanished until only one glowing feather remained. "I promise…I will guide her.")


  "Elder! Elder!" The temple doors burst open and a robed man ran in. "The village is burning!" Konan closed his eyes slowly and tightened his hand on the bell. So it has begun. Mariah… I will keep my promise… no matter what.
**********
  "These words…" Liana whispered, her eyes wide. She cried out suddenly and clasped her hands over her ears.

  "What's wrong, Liana?" Darren asked, putting a hand on her back as she stood suddenly, her eyes tightly closed.

  "Some… something's happening," she whispered and her eyes opened wide. At the same time, the ground shook and the mountain peak split. Liana screamed as she fell backwards over the edge.

  "Liana!" Darren shouted, then leaped off the cliff after her. He grabbed her arm and bit back a cry as the rock face cut into his hand. "Hang on!" Shards of rock rained from above them, gouging into his shoulder and back. Finally, the trembling stopped.

  "Darren! Liana!" Fiora called, scrabbling to the edge and leaning down. "Are you two alright? Thank goodness!"

  "Liana. Liana! Are you alright?" Darren whispered. He couldn't feel his arm anymore but clung on determinedly with his will. Something dripped onto her face a she stirred, looking up. The liquid ran down her cheek and she tasted something coppery. Blood…

  "Darren, you're hurt!" she cried as the blood trickled down her face.

  "I… promised… didn't I?" he asked, smiling down at her. "Alright, I'm going to swing you up. Fiora! Catch her!"

  "Got it."

  "Here we go," he grunted, then swung his arm up. "Fiora, catch!" Liana flew through the air and managed to twist her body gracefully. She landed easily and immediately fell to her knees, holding out her hand to Darren.

  "Grab my hand!" Liana shouted, grabbing his wrist. "Come on!" He smiled softly and she felt a sense of dread. "Darren, hurry!"

  "I'm sorry," he whispered, his dark eyes softening. "It seems… that I won't be able to keep my promise." He smiled sadly. "Please forgive me, Liana."

  "Don't let go!" Liana shouted, lunging forward to grab his hand. "Fiora, help me! Darren, whatever you do, don't let go of my hand!"

  "I'm sorry," Darren repeated, then shifted his gaze. "Protect her… Fiora…"

  "Darren, no!" She lunged forward but Fiora pulled her back. "Fiora, let me go! He's going to fall if we don't do something!"

  "Let me go," Darren whispered weakly, his face pale. "I…can't hold on much longer."

  "Darren! You promised!" Liana cried, tears dripping from her face onto his. "You promised you wouldn't leave me!"

  "I'm…sorry." His hand slipped and she cried out, grimacing as she hung on desperately to him. "I wanted so much to keep my promise."

  "You're slipping," she whispered. "There's… too much blood."

  "Don't worry," Darren whispered, then smiled. "I'm glad I met you. I'm… sorry…Fiora… and Liana… I…"

  "Darren!" Liana screamed as her fingers slipped. "Darren!" He fell, his face upturned as he smiled warmly at her and tears fell freely from her eyes as he vanished. "Darren…" A moment later, a bright light rose into the heavens and spiraled away. His soul…

  "Liana, look," Fiora said and Liana turned. "Smoke… from the village! Something's wrong. We have to go." Fiora stopped and turned back to where Liana was still on the ground. "Liana, come on!"

  "But…Darren…." she whispered, taking out the headband. Her hand shook as she gazed down at the six-pointed star. "Darren… he…"

  "That's his headband, isn't it?" Fiora asked, laying a hand gently over hers. "He gave it to you. I knew it. He cares for you, Liana. I know you're sad. I know I'm sad. But do you think that he would want you to stay here grieving?"

  "But…"

  "Trust me, Liana," Fiora whispered, tears swimming in her eyes. "Please, trust me when I say this. Darren would not want you to stand and grieve over him. He would want you to go on with your life remembering him." Fiora wrapped her arms gently around Liana's shoulders and closed her eyes. "I know I just met you… but I have no one else to turn to. Please, Liana. I know something's wrong. Help me save my village."

  "Darren… gave his life to save mine," Liana whispered, staring at the headband. Her hands clenched around it. "I know he promised he would always protect me… but it's selfish to want him to always be by me."

  "Liana…"

  "He saved me," Liana said, wiping her tears away and drawing her sword. "I owe him my life… so in return, Fiora, I will pledge my life to help you. I… I owe him that much."
**********
  He felt the dark presence even before it burst into the room. "You heart is filled with darkness," Konan said, turning slowly. "Who are you." 

  "I am Lady Malkis," she answered, her red eyes glowing. "I lead the Dark Knights."

  "What is it that you want from our village? Why have you set it ablaze?"

  "In order for my dream to be realized, I will need to collect many souls," Malkis whispered, her eyes narrowing. "And what better than the souls of the Guardians?"

  "You say you have a dream… what is it?"

  "To return this world to the darkness from which it came."

  "That is something I cannot allow you to do," Konan said softly, drawing his sword. "We exist to ensure the balance in this world is absolute."

  "This balance you created is nothing but a lie," Malkis whispered, a dark aura appearing around her. "The true nature of this world will be revealed."

  "True nature?"

  "This world is chaos," she said, her eyes aglow with a feverish light. "It belongs to the darkness, so to the darkness it must return."
**********
  "We have to hurry," Liana whispered as they leapt down from the rocks. "I sense… an extremely dark aura." She stopped at the bottom and looked up at Fiora, who was still struggling down. Orbs of light rose into the sky with the smoke as the souls escaped.

  "How can you tell?" Fiora asked as she joined Liana.

  "It's just… a feeling," Liana said as they ran towards the spiraling column of smoke.

  "Who would do this?" Fiora whispered as they entered the village. The air was clouded by the thick stench of smoke and burning flesh. "I have to see if anyone is still alive." She veered off towards the houses but Liana grabbed her arm.

  "No," Liana whispered, her eyes shining with tears. "There is only one aura alive in this village… and even so, it is barely there."

  "One aura?" Fiora whispered, her eyes wide. "Only one?" Liana started to run and Fiora followed suit. "Are you sure?"

  "Yes. This way!" Liana said, heading towards the temple. "But be careful, Fiora. This is also where the dark aura is concentrated."

  "What's that supposed to mean?"

  "Wait a second. Here, take this," Liana said, swinging her cloak off and holding it out to Fiora. "And give me yours."

  "What? But they're the same," Fiora said.

  "They only look the same," Liana said. "But how do you think I survived for as long as I have alone? Come on, switch."

  "So what's so special about it anyways?" Fiora asked as she handed over her cloak and took the one Liana held out. "It looks normal enough."

  "Stay in the shadows," Liana said, draping the cloak over her shoulders and hiding the sheathed sword at her waist. "That cloak will hide your presence and prevent anyone from detecting you."

  "What about you?"

  "I will fight," Liana said and smiled. "Don't worry about me. I may not look strong, but I can hold my own just as well as anyone."

  "I guess you have to be able to fight if you've survived for so long," Fiora mumbled. "But be careful."

  "Hide, quickly," Liana whispered. "Someone's coming out. Promise me, Fiora, that no matter what happens, you won't come out."

  "What? But-"

  "Promise me!" Liana shouted, her eyes bright with tears. "One of us, at least, has to get out of this alive. Promise me, Fiora. Please."

  "I… promise."

  Liana smiled. "Thank you. Quickly now." Fiora nodded and ran towards the buildings, crouching in the shadows. Liana glanced quickly at her, smiled, then turned to the Temple as the doors opened. "That's far enough!"

  "Hm? What's this?" Fiora bit back a gasp when a tall striking woman with a mane of dark hair descended the steps. She wore dark flowing robes and her red eyes stood out against her alabaster skin. Behind her, six tall men, five of them wearing dark armor and the sixth wearing dark robes strode down and stopped behind her respectfully.

  "Who are you?" Liana asked, holding her ground even as they approached. "Why have you attacked this village?"

  "This village?" she asked, stopping ten paces from where Liana stood alone surrounded by the flames. "You are not from here, are you? Why, then, do you stand before me?"

  "Who are you?"

  "You have courage to stand before Malkis of Kale," she whispered maliciously. "But since you are not a Guardian, I will spare your life if you stand aside."

  "Why have you murdered these villagers?"

  "You ask a lot of questions for a little girl."

  "What are you? The guardian angel?" Tora mocked.

  Liana smiled brightly, her eyes sparkling innocently. "Probably not," Liana said slowly, reaching into the folds of her cloak. "Instead, think of me…" Before Fiora could blink, Liana had dropped to a crouch, drew her sword and sprung forward, her eyes hard. "As the Angel of Vengeance!"

  "Wow," Lance said as they all leaped aside and drew their own swords. "That sure caught me by surprise."

  "Who knew the little lady had a sword under there," Tora asked with a smirk. "Makes you wonder what else she has."

  "Get her," Eliot said, his robes rustling. Liana moved under their blades, spinning gracefully and parrying each strike. She lunged instead with a cry towards Malkis, swinging her sword heavily. The ring of steel had everyone stopping.

    "Very good," Malkis murmured, staring down at her. "You are not at all what you seem to be."

  "Neither are you," Liana said softly, straining to gain the advantage. "There is an aura around you… something I cannot begin to describe and yet… it is strangely familiar."

  "Familiar, is it?" Malkis asked in amusement. "Tell me. Why do you, who have no ties with this village, fight to avenge its people?"

  "Because I made a promise." Liana gave a cry and put all her energy into the strike, managing the knock Malkis' blade aside. She swiped quickly but only managed to graze Malkis' arm as she leaped away. The six men immediately gathered around her.

  Malkis touched a hand the shallow wound and inspected the red blood with quiet amusement. "Impressive," she commented, licking her hand slowly. "It has been a while since I have seen my own blood."

  "Are you going to hide behind those men?" Liana hissed, her eyes blazing as she held the sword in front of her. "Or are you going to fight me fairly?"

    "I have my honor, girl," Malkis said, holding out her hand. Her sword quivered on the floor before flying back into her hands. "So I will give you one more chance to leave with your life."

  "I intend to finish this," Liana answered, crouching in a ready position.

  "Very well," Malkis said. "I will deal with you personally!" Her form disappeared and Liana's eyes widened before she turned quickly, scanning the area.

  "Where are you?" Liana shouted, turning in circles. "Come out and fight!"

    "As you wish." Liana spun and barely blocked the downward blow. Malkis smiled and leaped back, vanishing even as her feet hit the ground. "You cannot match my speed, girl, or my power."

  "Fight fair!"

  "I am," Malkis whispered. "I am fighting you with a sword, am I not?"

  "Stop hiding like a coward," Liana said, her body tense. There was soft laughter and Malkis reappeared in front of her.

  "Is this better?" Malkis mocked, her red eyes glowing as she spread her arms invitingly. "Here I am. You still will not win."

  "I hit you before, didn't I?" Liana whispered, holding her sword diagonally across her chest. "You're not invincible because you bleed like everyone else."

  "You hit me once," Malkis acknowledged. "But you got lucky." She gave her a small bow. "You are the first to truly draw my blood."

  "Gee thanks," Liana answered. "But I will also be the first to take your life!" She lunged forward, slashing quickly at air.

  "Don't be so sure," Malkis said, sidestepping the strikes easily.

  "I won't give up!"
**********
  I am the darkness, and I am the light. I exist as neither, and yet I am both. I serve as the balance between the two, the line between order and chaos. My existence serves only to prevent the world from falling into chaos. I hold the light and the darkness in my heart, trembling as I embrace the shadows tearing me apart.
**********
  Liana landed heavily on her back as her sword spun away. She groaned and looked up at Malkis, who reached down, hauled her back onto her feet and slammed her against the stonewall of the temple. "You cannot win against me," she whispered softly, tipping Liana's chin up with one long finger. "So why do you fight?"

  "A… promise," Liana whispered.

  "A promise, is it?" Malkis murmured, her red eyes boring into Liana's. "Is it a promise you made to someone else… or to yourself?"

  "What do you mean?"

  "You lost someone close to you," she continued, her voice pitched low and hypnotic. "Someone you cherished more than anything."

  "Stop it," Liana hissed, her eyes going blank.

  "Do you feel guilt over his loss?" Malkis whispered. Liana turned her head away as Malkis dropped her hands. "I can see into your heart, my dear. I can see the darkness that lies within. 'I could have saved him. It was all my fault.' Isn't that right?"

  "Stop it," Liana whispered, her eyes squeezing shut. "Stop…"

  "Why do you fight?" Malkis murmured. "There is nothing for you to fight for. Why not end it now? Give in to me, my dear. In you I can sense a soul that is both powerful and ancient. I want that power. Give it to me, and I will help you find what it is you want. I will reunite you with the one you hold dear."

  "You… will…?"

  "Yes," Malkis said with a smile, leaning forward. "Give me your power, my dear, and I will help you. Let me save you." Liana opened her eyes slowly and found herself captivated by the glowing red eyes that dominated the darkness that surrounded it. Malkis smiled and stepped back, holding out a hand slowly to her. "Take my hand," she whispered. "And give in to me."

  "I…" Liana reached out slowly with her hand.

  "What are you doing?"

  "What?" she whispered, her eyes widening as everything went white. When the light receded, she found herself in a field of golden flowers.

  "This isn't like you, Liana," a soft voice said and she spun around to face Darren. His dark eyes stared intently at her as he stood with his hands tucked casually in his pockets. "Why are you giving in so easily?"

  "I couldn't save you."

  Darren smiled slowly. "If you could, then you would be a God, Liana."

  "But-"

  "It was fate. It was my time," Darren said, a gentle breeze blowing around them. Golden flower petals drifted idly in the air. "Nothing anyone did could have stopped it."

  "Darren…"

  "You're stronger than this, Liana," Darren said softly. His hair flew into his eyes, no longer hindered by his headband, and he stepped forward until he stood right in front of her. "You can't give up."

  "On what?"

  "You have so much more to live for," Darren said softly, and raised her hand. The headband appeared between them and he placed it gently into hers. "Remember my promise? Trust me when I say this, Liana. Live."


  "No," Liana said softly, her hand stopping right above Malkis'. She raised her head slowly, her blue eyes dark. "No."

  "No?" Malkis whispered, her eyes narrowing. Her hand shot out, grasping Liana's throat and hauling her up until her feet dangled from the floor. "Why do you defy me?"

  "Because there is no reason to listen," Liana whispered, her hands grasping Malkis'.

  "What do you have in this world?" Malkis asked, her grip tightening. "You are alone in this world, my dear."

  Liana's eyes widened. "No."

  Malkis smiled slowly. "Oh yes," she whispered seductively. "You're alone. You have no one. Nothing."

  "That's… that's not true," Liana whispered, tears brimming in her eyes.

  "You have always been alone," Malkis continued, her eyes gleaming. "To tell yourself otherwise would be lying."

  "No!" Liana whispered. "No… I had-"

  "Who?" Malkis asked and her red eyes flashed suddenly. "I see. That boy, right? But he died to protect you."

  "How… do you know?" Liana asked, her eyes wide.

  "I have his soul," Malkis answered, lifting her free hand. A small white ball of light appeared, hovering in her palm. "I must admit, he is strong. Did you know that when a person dies, their last thought, their last memory, is captured in time?" She tilted her head slightly and smiled. "Would you like to know his last thought?"

  "Don't listen to her!" Liana's eyes widened when Fiora's voice sounded in her head. "Whatever you do, don't listen! Don't listen to what she has to say."

  "Don't you want to know?" Malkis asked. "It should interest you greatly… Liana."

  "You know my name?" she gasped, struggling for air.

  "I know everything about you that he knew," Malkis said softly. "He died to save your life, Liana."

  "Don't listen to her!"

  "He died for you. It was supposed to be you that died on that cliff," Malkis whispered, closing her hand slowly over the pulsing light. Liana stopped struggling, her eyes watching the light. "If it wasn't for you, he would still be alive.

  "No… No…"

  "You killed him, Liana. It was you. It was all your fault."

  "It wasn't… was it?"

  "I'm sorry, Darren. I can't. I owe you my life," she whispered, a single tear trailing down her cheek. "It was my fault. You saved me. I should have died."

  "But you didn't."

  "This is your life, Darren," Liana sobbed, pressing the heel of her palm to her eyes. "This is supposed to be your life! You gave your life… to me…"

  He was silent for a second, then brushed at her tears with his free hand. "Then live it, Liana," he said softly. "Live for the life I gave you… for the both of us."

  "What?"

  "Live, Liana," Darren said softly, firmly. "Promise me you will live." He wiped the tears from her eyes gently, his smile warm and comforting. "What's done is done. You were not the one who killed me, Liana. I chose to save you, but if it will make you feel better, than promise me you will live. Give me your word, Liana. Promise me that you will live. For the both of us." He grinned and held out his hand. "You owe me that much."

  Liana blinked, then smiled. "I promise you, Darren." She slipped her hand into his. "For… the both of us." His smile widened, and the golden petals that drifted around them stopped when time froze and captured that moment in her mind. "Darren…"


  "What have you to live for, Liana?" Malkis whispered. "This is not even your life. It should have ended on that cliff."

  "Liana, don't listen to her!"

  "Let me end it for you," Malkis soothed, tightening her grip slowly. "Let me end your suffering. Your anguish. Your sorrow. Your wish is for you to see him again, is it not? I can grant your wish, Liana, as long as you give me your power. What do you say?"

  "Give me your word, Liana. Promise me you will live. For the both of us."

  "No." Liana smiled slowly. "I promised him… I gave him my word." She opened her eyes slowly. "I promised him that I would live!"

  "Can you feel it, Liana?" It was not Fiora's voice this time, but male, deep, powerful and commanding. "The power that flows through you? The warmth… the light. Take it, Liana. Embrace it. It is yours to use as you will."

  How? Liana thought, gasping for breath. How?

  "Feel it flowing through you. Close your eyes, Liana. Can you see that light?"

  She closed her eyes and lost herself in the darkness. Yet in that darkness, something flickered and pulsed. …Yes…

  "Embrace it. Let it flow through you. Match your aura with that of those around you, and draw your power from the elements themselves. You are the key, Liana."

  I can feel it, she thought, her body going limp. The warmth, the light. The flame. It burns… In her mind, she could see the village now, burning. She reached out with her hand to stroke the flame. It didn't burn her, she realized. Instead, it was warm, comforting. It didn't hurt. I can use this?

  "Reach out with your mind. Let it control the power. Let the power become one with your body. Let using it become second nature, like breathing." She could sense a presence around her now, one that was different. Comforting. Familiar. She felt the lightest touch on her shoulder. "I will be there for you, Liana. Always."

  "I gave him my word… that I will live," Liana whispered, her hands fisting by her side. Her hands and body grew warm as she reached towards the light. "I won't break my promise!" She opened her eyes and her body exploded in flames.

  "What?" Malkis hissed, hurling her away. Liana flipped deftly in the air and landed on her feet, her eyes burning. The flames from the buildings leaped and moved towards her, spiraling around her body in a whirling vortex of flame. Liana gave a shout and a tongue of flame lanced through the air. Malkis held out her hand and the fire seemingly bounced off. "That won't work with me," she said, lowering her hand. "But this is a surprise. Who would have thought."

  "Thought… what?"

  "I sensed a strong aura around you," Malkis murmured. "But who would have thought that the Key would be a small girl such as yourself? This is an unexpected, yet welcome surprise. Now," she said, holding out her hand. "Give me the key."

  "What key?"

  "The bell," Malkis said impatiently. "Give it to me now, and I might spare your life so you may keep your promise."

  "No."

  "No? Not even to save the life he gave to you?"

  "No."

  "Then what will you do? You powers are weak, and you have no sword."

  "So you admit that you are vulnerable to swords."

  "It makes no difference even if I do tell you what I am vulnerable to," Malkis replied. "It will make no difference whatsoever."

  "So I need a sword," Liana said, scanning the area. She ran forward quickly and rolled on the ground, snatching up her discarded sword. With a cry, she hurtled forward and slashed downwards. Malkis just smiled, raising her hand and catching the blade.

  "You still don't get it, do you?" Malkis said softly, her eyes gleaming as Liana struggled. "I am like a God. You can never defeat me with a mortal weapon, Liana. Let me show you." She tightened her grip and snapped the blade.

  "What? How?" Liana whispered, staggering back. "My sword…"

  "You need one?" Tora called, dangling his sword from his fingers. "Come and get it."

  "You really think I'm that stupid?" Liana asked, her lips tightening. She glanced once at her broken sword and threw it to the side.

  "You have to be if you're going against Lady Malkis," he replied, smirking. "We are the only ones with swords that have even the slightest chance of touching her, little girl."

  "Are you going to give up now?" Malkis asked, holding out her hand. The air shimmered and a sword appeared in her hand, the blade glowing an eerie red. "There is nothing you cannot do."

  There has to be something I can do, Liana thought, squeezing her eyes shut. I promised him I would live! I can't die now.

  "Have you need of a sword?"

  You, Liana thought, blinking.

  "Have you need of a sword?"

  Yes, she answered, closing her eyes. Yes, I need one. In the darkness of her mind, something shimmered. A finely crafted sword appeared, its carefully polished blade gleaming in the shadows.

  "Call it to you."

  What? she thought, gazing at the sword. The light around it seemed to pulse.

  "Call it with your heart and it will come when you need it most."

  But-

  "Call your sword to you. Call the name etched deep into your heart."


  She took a deep breath, held out her hand and raised her head slightly. "…Come…" she said softly as she opened her eyes.

  "What is she doing now?" Tora asked as he rolled his eyes. "Hasn't she learned anything at all?"

  "You have to give her credit for not running away," Ryu said.

    "Wait," Malkis said, her eyes narrowing as she looked around slowly. "Can you sense that, Eliot?"

  "There is an aura," Eliot murmured, then turned to the temple. "Something's coming."

    "Come!" Liana shouted, her fingers flaring. "Hiraikos!" Something flew towards her and before she could blink, she held the sword she had seen in her mind. Life's full of surprises, she thought in amusement as she lifted the sword.

  Tora whistled in appreciation as he eyed the sword. "Nice," he commented. "Finely crafted, gleaming blade, keen edge. Perfection."

  "Jealous?" Liana asked.

  "You bet," he answered, then drew his sword. "I will make that blade mine."

  "Stand down, Tora," Eliot said, holding out his arm. "That is no ordinary blade."

  "Looks like one to me," Tora said.

  "There is an aura around it," Eliot said. "Almost as if… it is alive."

  "That's ridiculous," Tora snorted. "A sword alive?"

  "Nothing's impossible," Malkis said, stepping forward and raising her red blade. "Very well. Let us see then. Show us the power of your blade." She moved forward quickly and Liana flinched, raising her sword and barely managing to block the blow. She staggered back a few feet but raised her sword determinedly. "Very good," Malkis murmured approvingly. "Your blade isn't broken."

  "So what?" Liana snapped.

  "You don't understand, do you?" Tora sneered. "This is the first time any blade has stood against Lady Malkis' Regala and remained intact."

  "Really."

  "It is the first time," Malkis murmured, her eyes gleaming. "So your sword can match my sword in power." Liana blinked, and Malkis vanished. Liana spun as her laughter echoed around her. "But can your speed match mine?"

  "Not again," Liana muttered, her grip tightening on the hilt of the sword. I can't hit what I can't see! What do I-

  "Trust your sword,"
the voice whispered in her head. "Close your eyes and let your heart guide you."

  I have nothing to lose now,
she thought, closing her eyes and relaxing her body. And I gave Darren my word.

  "Can you sense her presence?" the voice asked. "Can you sense her aura? Can you feel it in your heart?"

  Yes…

  "Your heart can see what your eyes cannot,"
he whispered. "Learn to trust your heart. As long as you believe, there is nothing you cannot do. Stay on guard now."

  I can sense her,
Liana realized, then crouched in a defensive position. Wait… now!

    Her eyes snapped open and she swung her sword in an upward arc. "Not bad," Malkis said, her blade locked with Liana's. Sparks flew from between their blades and Malkis' eyes gleamed. "What is it that fuels your desire to fight?" she whispered, leaning forward.

  "I promised him I would live," Liana answered.

  "You shouldn't make promises you can't keep, my dear."

  "I won't break my promise," she muttered, her eyes flashing. "I won't!" She heaved upward with a cry and managed to tear the blade from Malkis' hands. To her surprise, Malkis just smiled.

  "You don't understand," Malkis whispered. "You made a very foolish mistake."

  "Mistake?"

  "You left yourself very open," Malkis answered and Liana's eyes widened. She was dimly aware of a hot flash of pain before the world tilted crazily and she found herself staring up at the full moon. In slow motion, small red drops flew in the sky.

  Is that… blood? she thought dimly, her vision blurring. Is that… my blood? No. No, it can't be… it can't… Disembodied laughter followed her as she fell. It just… can't…

  A girl's voice. "Liana!"

  Who…
she thought as she sank deeper into the yawning abyss

  "Liana…"  A softer, deeper voice. "Open your heart…"
**********
  Liana, no,
Fiora thought, biting her lip as she watched Liana fall. Her hands tightened on the folds of her cloak as she drew it tighter around herself. She couldn't make out the words Malkis spoke with the four men but watched as one bent down to pick up Liana's dropped sword. Almost immediately, he dropped it. More words were exchanged before they all turned to leave.

  Fiora shrank deeper into the shadows as they passed. She held her breath as Malkis gazed into the shadows, her red eyes glowing. To her relief, they continued to walk away. She waited for a split second then scrambled out towards where Liana lay, blood pooling around her body.

  "Liana!" Fiora fell to her knees and pressed her hands against the gash in Liana's stomach. "Oh god. Please, hold on, Liana!" Blood continued to gush out and Fiora bit her lip. She felt for a pulse and found one, even if it was weak and laboring. "Thank god," she breathed. "There's still time." 

  She leaned forward to touch her forehead to Liana's. "Come back…" she murmured, closing her eyes as her body began to glow. "Please, Liana… come back…"
**********
  She opened her eyes slowly and found herself sitting against something.  "Am I… dead?" she whispered, turning around. She gazed up at the immense temple built like a pyramid adorned with intricate carvings of angels as they spread their wings in joyous flight. Where… what is this place? She sensed someone and turned to find Darren kneeling beside her. "Darren…"

  "Liana," he said softly, smiling. A dark hole opened up suddenly in front of them and she gasped. Darren just turned, neither surprised nor afraid.

  "What is that?" Liana whispered.

  "Darren…"

  "What was that?" Liana whispered. "Did you hear that, Darren?" Instead of answering, he just stood. "Darren?" He started to walk away. "Wait, Darren! Don't go!" She started to stand but her legs gave and she fell weakly. "Darren, no!"

  "Let him go," a deep voice said and she turned to find a man in dark armor with a flowing black cape sitting on the jutting edge above her. He looks… like Darren, she thought. His raven hair, his obsidian black eyes. Except… he was older. He was wearing dark armor. And he had black wings. "Where he is going, you cannot follow."

  "But why?" she whispered as she watched Darren walk away.  She struggled to move, but her legs wouldn't obey. She could only watch as the darkness enveloped Darren and disappeared, leaving an endless field of golden flowers. "Darren…"

  "He is gone."

  "You're stating the obvious," Liana said, wiping at her tears. She leaned against the stone temple and closed her eyes with a sigh. "Am I… dead?"

  "No."

  "Then where is this place?"

  "A dimension neither living nor dead," he answered, folding his arms behind his head. "A place in between… a place of dreams you might say, where souls gather."

  "Souls?"

  "Each of these flowers represents a soul," he said, catching a golden petal as it drifted lazily by. "Can you hear them, Liana? Can you hear their voices?"

  "Yes," Liana answered slowly, clapping her hands gently over her ears and drawing her legs towards her chest. "I can hear them. I can hear them…crying…"

**********
  "What a day," Lance grumbled as they reappeared in the castle. "Except for when that girl showed up, there wasn't anything to do. Guardians. Hah! They didn't do anything but run around like chickens with their heads chopped off."

  "I agree," Tora complained. "Today wasn't any fun."

  "The fun will come later, boys," Malkis murmured as she sat down on her throne and held out her hand. Orbs of light appeared, illuminating the shadows of the room. "We collected many souls today."

  "How many more do we need?" Tora asked eagerly.

  "Plenty," Malkis replied. "But not yet. The time is not right."

  "Ah, man."

  "You will have plenty of fun," Malkis said with a smile. "After all, the War of Heavens has only just begun."
**********
  "Do you know why they cry?" he asked softly and continued when she shook her head. "They cry because they alone can see what is to come of this world. They see it all. The pain, the sorrow. They see what will happen, and yet they can do nothing but watch as their loved ones suffer."

  "I can hear their voices… so many," Liana whispered, opening her eyes slowly. "But… why can't I hear Darren's?" The man didn't answer and Liana sighed. She tilted her head upwards to look at the looming pyramid temple. "What is that?"

  "This?" he asked, turning. He laid one hand on a carving of an angel with his head upturned and wings spread. "This is an ancient place, a holy ground lost to the Angels since the beginning of time."

  "Lost?" Liana asked. "But it's right here."

  "But where is here?" he asked with a smile.

  "Point taken," she said, then rested her own hand on the stone. It seemed to pulse beneath her hand, warm and alive. "There is an aura around this place… like it's alive. Like the sword."

  "Your sword," he corrected. "That sword belongs to you."

  "It does?"

  "Yes."

  "You know a lot," she observed, wondering why she didn't feel wary of the man. Instead, she felt at ease. "Who are you?"

  "That is not important at the moment," he said, standing slowly and stretching. "You need to go."

  "Go? Go where?"

  "Back to your world," he answered, folding his dark feathery wings against his back. "It is not your time yet. You need to live."

  "But I'm… dead."

  "You want to keep your promise, don't you?" he drawled slowly.

  "But-"

  "It is not your time," he said gently. "Go back."

  "To what?" she whispered, putting her hands to her face. "What do I have to go back to? I have nothing, no one."

 
"Come back." A small light appeared in front of her, expanding much like the darkness that had enveloped Darren.

  "You have others," he answered as the voice faded gently away, leaving the pulsing light. "You are not alone in the world."

  "What of Darren?"

  "The boy truly cares for you," he answered. "If you care for him, you would not let his sacrifice go to waste. You will keep your promise."

  "You're right," Liana said, standing. "I made him a promise…"

  "Never forget him," he whispered. "Keep him in your heart always, and he will never truly leave you. As long as you remember… he will live."

  "Thank you," Liana said softly, turning towards the light.

 
"Please, Liana…come back…"

  "Remember to trust your heart," he called softly as the light enveloped her. "Believe in yourself and there is nothing you cannot do." His eyes followed the light as it rose and disappeared into the sky and he sighed. "Forgive me… Liana…"

**********
  "So who was that girl?" Tora asked as they walked through the dark hallways.

  "The daughter of one of the Five Angels," Eliot answered. "The one who possesses the Key to Celes and the powers it holds."

  "For one so small, she certainly is very interesting," Lance murmured.

  "She's so young as well," Yuri added. "She can't be older than sixteen."

  "But she is strong, even if she is somewhat inexperienced," Kane said.

  "She looks so childish, so innocent," Ryu said softly. "Who would have thought one such as herself would be able to draw Lady Malkis' blood?"

  "Nevertheless, we must not waver," Eliot said, stopping suddenly to raise his head. "And where were you, Inouva, during that fight?"

  "Why?" A dark shadow shifted in the ceiling and a man dropped down silently. He wore loose dark clothes that blended in with the darkness and shadows.

  "We called," he answered.

  "You called for the Dark Knights, brother," Inouva answered, his voice deep and soft. His platinum blond hair stood out from his dark garb and yet when he wanted to be hidden, nothing gave him away. His pale silver eyes held nothing. "I am not a Knight."

  "Enough," Tora snapped. "You should be grateful we spared your life back then!"

  Inouva turned slowly to face Tora. "Are you regretting that you did?"

  "You are human, mortal," Tora hissed, his dark eyes flickering red. "You should not speak to a Demon in such a manner if you value your life."

  Inouva didn't so much as blink. "It is because I don't that you find me valuable," he said, his voice never wavering.

  "You are an Elite assassin for the Lady Malkis," Eliot said softly, his lips tightening. "You should act as such."

  "But I do," Inouva answered, the corner of his mouth twitching slightly. "Who else would so easily provoke one who could very well take my life?"

  "If you don't watch your mouth, I just might take your life one day," Tora warned.
         
  "Perhaps," he murmured, his pale eyes gleaming. "But I could very well take yours."
**********
  She was suspended in the light as she let its warmth spread through her body. Liana… never forget… a soft voice whispered around her. Never forget. You are not alone…

  A bell chimed softly, echoing in the light and she opened her eyes slowly and reached out with her hand. A form shimmered and appeared but she couldn’t make it out in the bright light. The bell sounded again, warming her heart.
Be strong, Liana… Believe in yourself… and those around you… Trust your heart.
**********
  "Liana. Liana!" Fiora let out a relieved sigh when she saw Liana's eyelids twitch and open slowly. "Thank the stars you're alright."

  "Fiora," Liana said slowly, sitting up. "What… happened?"

  "You don't remember?"

  "I do," Liana answered, then looked down and gasped. "Are you hurt?"

  "What? This?" Fiora asked, holding up her bloody hands. "It's not mine. Actually, this was your blood, Liana." Her expressions grew somber. "You could have died."

  "Well… then why didn't I?"

  Fiora looked away slowly. "Well… actually…" She cleared her throat and grinned sheepishly. "I have this… power…" She raised her hands in front of her, turning them over as she inspected them. "I don't know why… or how… but I can heal others when they are hurt." She brought her hands to her chest and closed her eyes. "Somehow, I can use this light to take away their pain…"

  "Really?"

  "Yes," Fiora said, dropping her hands. "That's how I was able to save you. You would have died if you had lost any more blood."

  "So that's why I feel so weak," Liana murmured.

  "You'll be fine," Fiora said with a smile as she opened her eyes. "They're gone now."

  "Who was that?" Liana asked, her eyes narrowing. "That woman… Malkis… her aura wasn't human…"

  "She leads the Demons in the War of Heavens," Fiora answered.

  "No, that's not it," Liana said, placing a hand on her forehead. "Those men she had with her… five of them were Demons and one was human. I could tell. But… her aura wasn't the same as theirs. It wasn't human… but it also wasn't Demon… It was something different altogether."

  "I see," Fiora said slowly.

  Liana was silent, then she looked up and smiled. "Anyways, we shouldn't worry about that now that it's over," she said, standing up. "Come on. There's still one aura left in this village, but it's about to fade."

  "There's still someone?" Fiora asked, standing as well.

  "Yes. In that temple." Fiora took off quickly and Liana followed. When they reached the temple, they looked around. "This place…" Liana whispered as she walked in. She wrapped her arms around her body and shivered. "It's… so…"

  "Grandfather!" Fiora screamed, running towards the altar where a statue stood. "Grandfather… you're…"

  Konan stirred slightly and opened his eyes. "Fiora… it's you…" He turned his head and his eyes widened slightly as he saw Liana silhouetted against the flames from the village. "And she will come with the flames," he murmured with a small smile.

  "Grandfather?"

  "Please, child," Konan said softly, reaching out to Liana. "Come here…"

  "Are you alright, my lord?" Liana asked, kneeling down beside him, the blade held loosely against her side.

  "That… sword…" Konan whispered, his eyes wide. He turned to the altar, where the space below the statue was bare.

  "It just came to me," Liana said quickly. "I… I will return it right away."

  "No, it is yours," Konan said with a small smile. "The Sword cannot be taken, because it will choose its own owner. It is yours. Take good care of it."

  "I will," Liana said, settling back down.

  "She was right," Konan breathed. "She was right all along… about everything…" He reached slowly into his robes and drew something out. "Here. Take this. It belongs… to you…" He held out the crystal bell that was suspended on a fine gold chain.

  "This… is also mine?" Liana asked, reaching out hesitantly. When her hand got closer, it chimed suddenly, softly, and Liana gasped. That sound… Her lips tightened as she took it gently from his trembling hand. "Thank you…"

    "You are not alone in this world," Konan said with a gentle smile. "No matter what you may think."

  "What?" Liana whispered, her eyes wide.

  "Listen to me, my dear," Konan whispered. "You have… four sisters…"

  "I… do? But… how?" She looked away bitterly. "For as long as I could remember, I've been alone. I never had a family. How do you know?"

  "I knew your mother," Konan whispered.

  "You did?" Liana asked, turning back. She leaned forward and took his hand. "What was she like? Please, tell me."

  Konan smiled softly and squeezed her hand gently. "I met her only once," he said. "But that day… she was the one lying on the floor and it was I who held her hand. She died that day… and I buried her at the peak of the mountain."

  "You mean that stone?" Fiora asked.

  "You were there?"

  "Yes…" Liana whispered, tears welling in her eyes. "No wonder… I felt drawn to that place… So it was my mother's…"

  "You look so much like her, my dear," Konan whispered, reached up slowly with a shaking hand. He stopped inches from her face and his eyes softened. "And yet… you resemble your father as well…"

  Her hand tightened. "You knew my father too?"

  "I met him," he acknowledged, his eyes distant. "Days after your mother died…"

  (He stood on the peak of the mountain, looking down at the smooth stone. "Mariah," Konan said softly, looking down at the feather and bell in his hand. "I promise you… I promise you I will guide your daughter."

  "So you are the one she has chosen." Konan whirled around to find a tall man wearing a ragged dark cloak standing behind him, his dark eyes looking at the stone.

  "Chosen?"

  "I am Malkos Ilyana," the man said with a smile. "I am-was- her husband."

  "I'm sorry," Konan said promptly. "She died… so suddenly."

  "I guess it couldn't be helped," Malkos murmured sadly. "She told me that it was near her time. After all… it was prophecy. She couldn't change her fate."

  "So are you also an Angel?" Konan asked.

  "No," he answered. "I am not an Angel. I am merely the one she has chosen to bear her daughter, as it is foretold in the ancient prophecy." He looked at the bell Konan held and closed his eyes. "My daughter… She must face such hardships."

  "Why don't you take care of her?"

  Malkos shook his head slowly, sadly. "I cannot," he answered. "I am forbidden from doing so…" He smiled softly. "I regret that I will never get the chance to know her… to love her as a father should…" He raised his head to the clear sky. "I regret that I will not get to know any of them."

  "You are truly a kind person," Konan said softly. "I can see it in your eyes… and I can also see the suffering and sadness."

  "You, too are kind," Malkos replied, kneeling down by the tombstone. "Only one with a strong heart can accept a task such as the one Mariah entrusted to you. Only one such as yourself can accept such a task and not be afraid of what awaits."

  "I am afraid," Konan admitted. "To know that I will die in fifteen years… who would not be afraid? And yet… if I had refused… I would have regretted." He smiled. "I would rather be afraid than regret something for the rest of my life."

  "You are kind," Malkos repeated. "I thank you." He drew something from the folds of his cloak and brushed his hand against the stone.

  "What are you doing?"

  "Engraving the words on her memorial as she instructed me to before she left," Malkos replied, standing after he finished.

  "What does it mean?" Konan whispered. "'I hold the light and the darkness in my heart, trembling as I embrace the shadows moving me apart.'"

    "It is for my daughter," Malkos murmured, then smiled. "May I also entrust something to you?"

  "Yes."

  "You have a feather of an Angel," he said slowly. "Mariah… asked me to give the one she has Chosen this." He held out a black feather. "I don't know why… but she was very adamant that this was also given to her child."

  "Could it be?" Konan asked, his eyes wide and his hands trembling as he accepted the dark feather. "The Dark Angel… Have you any idea where the Dark Angel is?"

  "No," Malkos answered, then held something else out to him.

  Konan eyed it warily before he took it. "A… sword?"

  "Not just any sword," Malkos said with a smile. "A special blade that can be wielded by only one. Protect it until its true owner returns."

  "But how will I know?"

  "Engrave these words by the sword," Malkos said. "The Sword cannot be taken, because it will choose its own owner. That is all I can tell you."

  "I will not doubt your words," Konan said. "I will do as you say."

    Malkos gave a small smile and turned away. "Thank you, then. For everything you have done and will do."

  "Why won't you try to get to know your daughter?" Konan asked suddenly.

  "I cannot," Malkos repeated sadly. "I would if I could… but I can't." He paused suddenly and turned, his dark eyes flickering. "When you see her, please, guide her. And… tell her that I'm sorry. For everything.)


  "He was very kind," Konan whispered, watching as emotions swam in Liana's eyes. "And he was sorry he couldn't stay with you."

  "He must have had a reason," Liana whispered with a small smile. "I don't blame him… but I wish… I could have seen him at least once…"

  "He is alive," Konan said. "Where, I do not know… but I am certain he is still among us. Somewhere…"

  "Thank you, my lord," Liana whispered, a tear falling slowly. "Thank you…"

  "The earth waits in Vane, then follow the wind to Bern. There, find the child of flame and find the ship of Syrn," Konan said. "That was the message your mother left for you… I believe it is the whereabouts of your sisters…"

  "I will find them," Liana vowed and clasped the bell that she hung around her neck. "There has to be a reason…"

  "That bell will chime when your sisters are near," Konan said. "And here… take these feathers… your mother wanted you to have them…"

  "I will cherish them," Liana whispered, tying them to the chain with one on either side of the crystal bell. "Always…"

  "Go now," Konan said. "Fulfill the prophecy… whatever it might be. And please… take care of Fiora…"

  "What? Grandfather, no," Fiora said. "I'll stay here, with you."

  "I am dying," he said softly with a sad smile.

  "No." Fiora placed her hands on the wound and shook her head. "I'll heal you, Grandfather… don't leave me!"

  "You do not have enough strength, I'm afraid," Konan said, laying his free hand over Fiora's. "You used it all to heal your friend."

  "Don't leave me," Fiora sobbed. "Not you too…"

  "I am grateful that I have gotten to know you, my dear Fiora," Konan whispered, his eyes shining. "Even though… you were not from this village…"

  "What?" Fiora whispered, her body stiffening. "What do you mean? I… my brother and I… we were born here, in this village. Weren't we?"

  "I found you and your brother abandoned outside the village," Konan said. "So I took you… and raised you as my own… Forgive me… I never did find the courage to tell you, both of you, sooner…but I loved you both… so very much…"

  "And I you," Fiora said, closing her eyes. "And my brother as well… I know he is grateful for everything you've done for us…"

  "Forgive me," Konan whispered, then turned back to Liana. "I wish you the best of luck… Find out for yourself… the truth of everything… I wish you both… happiness." He pried both his hands gently from their grasp and smiled. "Go now…"

  "But-"

  "There is no time to waste," Konan said. "If what she told me is correct, then you must hurry. Stop this war, both of you, before this land we all love and cherish is torn apart and consumed by the darkness… Promise me… both of you."

  "I promise," Liana said. "I will live. I will protect Fiora… and find my sisters… then maybe… just maybe… I will find the truth for myself…"

  "Thank you," Konan said with a smile as his eyes slowly glazed over. He turned to Fiora. "I loved you… like my own granddaughter…"

  "Grandfather…" Fiora whispered.

  "Forgive… me…" Konan smiled one last time. "I kept my promise… to the both of you…" His eyes glazed over and his chest stilled. Liana waited for a second, then passed her hand gently over his eyes.

  "Thank you for everything, my lord," she said softly.

  "Goodbye… Grandfather," Fiora whispered.

  "What do you want to do?" Liana asked, standing slowly. "Do you want to bury him in the mountains?"

  Fiora was silent for a second, then shook her head slowly. "He loved this village very much," she said softly. "I think… he would want to stay here…" She turned to look up at Liana. "You can summon flames, right?" Liana nodded. "Please… I'm sure it is what he wants… to stay with the village he gave his life to protect."

  "As you wish," Liana said. "I'm sorry, Fiora… This is all my fault."

  "No," Fiora said. "It was…fate."

  "You lost everyone close to you," Liana whispered, looking away.

  "I haven't lost everyone," Fiora answered with a smile. "I still have you, don't I?" She held out her hand. "Let's promise we'll always stay together… and protect one another… no matter what happens."

  "I promise," Liana said, taking Fiora's hand. "No matter what."
**********
  "The time draws near, Eliot," Malkis murmured, her eyes closed. "Even now… I can sense the power growing." Her eyes opened slowly. "I want it. I want that power."

  "Since that day you saved the life of my brother and I, I have sworn to follow you no matter what the cost," Eliot replied. "Even in the war against my kin."

  "And you have proven yourself, time and time again," Malkis replied. "You have been valuable, not only because of your power over the elements, but also because of your calm analysis of every situation."

  "My life is yours to use as you will," Eliot said.

  "But what of your brother?" Malkis murmured, stretching lazily. "Though his skills as an Assassin are unparalleled by any demon I know, he is becoming increasingly difficult to control. I wonder. Will he turn?"

  "He won't," Eliot said. "And if he does..."
**********
  She stood alone in the darkness, staring up at the gleaming sword as it hovered in front of her. "This is… my sword?" She reached out slowly with her hand. Suddenly, the sword exploded with light and she raised her hands to shield her eyes. The light compressed into a small orb and hovered in front of her. "This light… what is it?" It pulsed once, then grew again to form a tall shimmering figure donned in full armor. His aura and presence was strong and confident, like that of a warrior, and also familiar.

  "Are you the one who has summoned me?" the man asked in a hollow voice that echoed in the vast space.

  "Who… are you?"

  "Hiraikos," he answered, placing one hand over his heart and bowing low. "And who are you, my lady?"

  "My name is Liana."

  "Lady Liana," he whispered, then raised his head and smiled. "I can see the strength in your heart, my lady. Very well. I will lend you my power."

  "Umm… what do you mean?"

  "Whenever you need me, call my name, Lady Liana, and I will come," Hiraikos said softly. He turned back to light, the orb hovering for a split second in front of her before moving towards her and disappearing into her chest.
I will be with you, his voice whispered as she touched a hand to her chest in surprise. Always.
© Copyright 2007 Liana (UN: liana134 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Liana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495608-Chapter-1-Liana