*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496455-The-Crucible-by-Arthur-Miller
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #1220841
My musing, poems, ideas, thoughts, and essays...I dare you to read it...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#496455 added March 20, 2007 at 11:42am
Restrictions: None
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
The Crucible Unit
I do not own The Crucible by Arthur Miller

October 5, 2006

Five Key Elements of The Crucible by Arthur Miller

         Witchcraft would be the main element of this story. With the community being vigorously religious, a single doubt would lead to suspicion. In order to reason the strange occurrences that was rising within Salem, the idea of the Devil’s agents were manifested into the society. Anyone who is suspicious to being with was accused of witchcraft. Throughout Act One, the mentioning and the fear of witchcraft was evident in all of the characters and their actions.

         Church would be another element of this story. Due to the Puritans being religiously united, their fear for the Devil is ten-folds more severe compared to today’s society. A seed of doubt and grudge against suspicious characters or neighbors that just didn’t fit in can cause trouble. Act One had started with Reverend Parris who continues to show his strong belief throughout the act. Other characters have some aspect and lines that connects to spirituality whether it was about Hell or Heaven.

         John Proctor would be another element. It appears that John had an affair with Abigail Williams and that might stir some trouble. Also with John’s lines, it shows that he was a pivotal character. His clear hatred against Reverend Parris was emphasized in pages and that would mean he was like an antagonist to the Church. His wife was mentioned couple of times and in those times, he acts rather loyal and defendant of her. It is curious since he cheated on her with a seventeen year old girl.

         Another element would be with the young girls accusing all these people as witches. At the end of Act One after Tituba confessed, Abigail Williams and Betty Parris both began to list names of supposed witches in their communities. Most of them were women who they all probably knew. The drama in this scene was how both girls seem to leap out of their current insanity and start to name people. Of these names, there were inserted remarks from Mrs. Ann Putnam and Thomas Putnam as confirm their suspicion of those women. Thus shows the obvious bland judgment of the people of Salem. Also, these girls were mentioned to be seventeen and ten respectively. It is an odd thing for these adults to believe in young girls. When Reverend Parris said that he wasn’t preaching to the children, it would seem to be that they look to children as innocent and naïve; incapable to do wrong.

         Abigail Williams would be another element of this story. Her role begins near the beginning of Act One and she appears to be leader of the group of girls. The way she concocts a story is interesting as she dramatize everything. Her affair with John Proctor was a major twist to the story. It is evident that Abigail despises Elizabeth Proctor, John’s wife, as she refers to Elizabeth with ugly names. Thus a conflict appears so early in the play that would probably lead into something bigger.

Five Examples of Conflict in The Crucible

October 10, 2006

1. Person vs. Person
In both Act I and Act II, there is evidence of a big rift between Abigail Williams and Elizabeth Proctor. In the first Act, Abigail told John Proctor that Elizabeth was “a cold, sniveling woman.” This occurred between the single moment where and John and Abigail were alone with Betty. The insult towards Elizabeth shows some hatred to her. In the second Act, Elizabeth told the council that came to get her that Abigail “is murder! She must be ripped out of the world!” This gives Elizabeth’s point of view of Abigail and her intentions. It is also shown earlier as Elizabeth and John were speaking, Elizabeth have suspicion of the affair so she verbally attacks Abigail.

2. Person vs. Self
In Act II, John Proctor had conflict with himself. As he was in the conversation with Elizabeth Proctor about the trial of the women, John was hesitant to charge Abigail Williams. In the description of John, there were “thinking beyond this”, “in thought”, and “quietly, struggling with his thought”. These action shows that John is internally conflicting with himself of whether or not to outright charge Abigail of fraud.

3. Person vs. Person
In Act I, in the argument between Reverend Parris and John Proctor, it is shown that there is a conflict. As Parris spoke about how he was their preacher and deserved more, John kept throwing in his thoughts and his obvious tiredness of the Reverend. As Parris argued, “There is either obedience or the church will burn like Hell is burning!”, John shot back with, “Can you speak one minute without we land in Hell again? I am sick of Hell!” It is clear to see that the fiery hatred between the two men.

4. Person vs. Person
There is conflict between Elizabeth Proctor and John Proctor in Act II. As they were talking, the conversation begins to turn towards the news of the court and in which turned to Abigail. John continue to plead is innocent and confession but Elizabeth kept reminding him of the effects of Abigail and his obvious attachment to her. “No more! I should have roared you down when first you told me your suspicion…” John burst, but Elizabeth had returned with “I do not judge you. The magistrate sits in your heart that judges you. I never thought you but a good man, John—with a smile—only somewhat bewildered.” These dialogues creates the scene of a lovers spat.

5. Person vs. Person
In Act II, when Mr. Hale came to visit the Proctors, John seemed to have trouble answering the man’s questions but blamed most of his problems on Reverend Parris. John had said he could pray in his own house and in which, Hale answered, “Mr. Proctor, your house is not a church; your theology must tell you that.” Proctor than told his trouble of Parris and the expenses spent on decorating the church. Later, Hale asked how come only two of John’s sons were baptized and John said, “I like it not that Mr. Parris should lay his hand upon my baby. I see no light of God that man. I’ll not conceal it.” Clearly, John do not trust Parris enough and have no good feels of the man whatsoever.

October 14, 2006

Significant Events in The Crucible

Act One

         The significant event in Act One is at the end of the act where they were still in Betty’s bedroom. When Tituba confessed to witchcraft, the girls, Abigail Williams and Betty Parris, started to cry out names of supposed witches. Reverend John Hale, Reverend Parris, Thomas Putnam, and Mrs. Ann Putnam were witnesses of this event.

         This event is significant because it shows the beginning of something big. It is shown that all the characters were riled up as in Abigail’s cry of confession on page 48, “I want to open myself!...” Afterwards, the names of women spilled out of both Abigail’s and Betty’s mouths. Abigail is also described to be ‘enraptured’ as she was confessing. It is detailed later that Betty began to rise from her bed with ‘fever in her eyes’ as she started to chant with Abigail. Putnam on page 48 even opted to call, “The marshal, I’ll call the marshal!” This hysteria even over took Parris as he was shown to be “shouting a prayer of thanksgiving.” With all this commotion going on, it leads you to a sense of excitement and odd occurrences.

         I believe that the most significant quote in this act is on page 48 when Reverend John Hale cried out, “Glory to God! It is…” This quote claims that the truth has ‘broken’ and set ‘free’. With such a statement, you would feel a premonition of a disastrous event. It would seem like Hale was crying out that the time has come or now it all begins. Also, with all the commotion that surrounded Hale’s quote, it brings out a whirlwind of confusion and excitement.

Act Two

         The significant event in Act Two is at the end of the act at the Proctors’ home. Ezekiel Cheever and Marshal Herrick enter the room for Elizabeth Proctor on the charge of witchcraft. When John Proctor found out that it was Abigail Williams that put the charge, he vowed to have Elizabeth released.

         This event is significant because it shows the true nature of John Proctor who is a pivotal character in the story. On page 75 when John heard that Abigail was struck with a needle that was supposedly from Elizabeth’s spirit, he was angered. It is written that John became impatient as he asked Mary Warren where the poppet came from. As Herrick was taking Elizabeth away on page 77, she started to say, “I’ll go, John—” but was cut off by John when he yelled out, “You will not go!” The rage is evident in John’s character as he constantly tried to keep Herrick from taking Elizabeth. He even yelled, “Herrick! Herrick, don’t chain her!” as he heard clanking of chains on page 78. His frustration of all this showed as he sent Hale out of the house with “Out of my sight!” Later, as it was only Mary and John in the house, John gets mad at Mary and wanted to charge Abigail. “My wife will never die for me!” was what John proclaimed. Thus gives you the expectation of a brawl about.

         I believe that the most significant quote in this act is made by John Proctor on page 80 where he stated, “My wife will never die…” His loyalty of his wife justifies his mistake with Abigail Williams. For John, this statement immediately shows his character of persistence and righteousness as he is willing to fight for his wife and make things right. This quote strike me because such proclamation would be hard to notice and John has placed Elizabeth above him as he claim that she will not die for him. He even called Elizabeth as goodness.

Act Three

         The significant event in Act Three is at the end of the act in the empty room of the court room. Deputy Governor Danforth, Ezekiel Cheever, Reverend Parris, Judge Hathorne, Thomas Putnam, Reverend John Hale, John Proctor, and Giles Corey became witnesses of an extraordinary event. The girls, Mercy Lewis, Abigail Williams, Susan Walcott, and Betty Williams, started to see some sort of bird and repeating Mary Warren eventually gave in. They pointed out the man of the Devil as John Proctor.

         This event is significant because it had depleted all doubts from the judge’s mind which means that they truly believe in the presence of the Devil in their town and wouldn’t hesitate to execute a convicted witch. During the events of the girls seeing a bird, Danforth asked Mary Warren, “Now it seems you afflict other; where did you find this power?” on page 116. Mary replied that “I—have no power.” John Proctor proclaimed that the girls were duping Danforth, but the judge ignored it and then asked “Why did you turn about this past two weeks? You have seen the Devil, have you not?” This shows that Danforth does not doubt witchcraft and continues to try to draw the conclusion that Mary was now a work of the Devil. Eventually Mary gives in and the arrow points to John as Mary cries out “You’re the Devil’s man!” on page 118 as she pointed at John. When questioned, John started to lose his mind as he started to laugh insanely and ranting how the village will plunder and burn.

         I believe that the most significant quote in this act is when John Proctor on page 119 proclaimed, “I say—I say—God…” This is a valuable quote because this statement is true enough for Salem. John Proctor takes the risk of say that God is dead and thus leads him into an insane state of mind where he rants of about fires over taking the town and everyone. Instead of having lost his marbles, I believe that John has opened his eyes to a great truth. Now that most of the village, including the judges, has believed in the overcast of the Devil and witchcraft, they all have gone haywire over the supposed darkness making its presence in the town. John would seem to be the sanest in comparison to the town. Therefore this quote by John stuck out and is significant to the story.


October 16, 2006

Act Four in The Crucible

Significant Event

         A significant event would be John Proctor’s confession. A good portion of the act is dedicated or leads up to John’s decision. When consulting with Elizabeth, he wasn’t sure whether he should confess or not and Elizabeth told him that she could not judge him. John was thoroughly at lost but gave in because he believed that he was not worth dying in glorious truth. His inner dispute continues but the pride won out in the end and he took the truthful path by denying any source of witchcraft. This entire scene, which is shortly cut to the death rolls, was passionately described and reveals the strong interconnection between the characters and their moral thoughts.

Significant Quotes

         A significant quote would be on page 129 when Deputy Governor Danforth stated, “While I speak God’s law…” This is significant because is portrays Danforth’s belief in his own right doing. Danforth truly believes that he is doing God’s will and nothing would stop him from being a servant of God as he would “hang ten thousand that dared to rise against the law.” His cold demeanor shows as he said that “an ocean of salt tears could not melt the resolution…”meaning he would not be moved by any grieving that would come. Danforth’s strong words set the grave stone-cut situation that the seven currently convicted are in.

         A significant quote would be on page 143 when John Proctor cried, “Because it is my name!” John’s persistence of keeping his name has more meaning than just keeping a surname. Even if pride does drive John to rebel against the contract, but the death of his convicted friends sets his moral reasoning. He doesn’t want his name and the confession be nailed to the cross because it would serve as a reminder that he has betrayed his friends. Also, John later said, “I have given you my soul; leave me my name!” When he as given everything, the only thing he has to hold onto would be his name.

         A significant quote would be on page 145 when Elizabeth Proctor cried out, “He have his goodness now.” This quote was passionately said with a flowing of grief that surrounds the room and the drum rolls of anticipation. Earlier in act two, John had called Elizabeth goodness that would not die for him. But now the role is reversed. John was to die for his mistake and as Elizabeth has said her sins too. This change brings a justifying end as John was going to be received in Heaven and get his well-deserved forgiveness of his confessed sins.

Theme

         The main theme to this act would be death. It over looms them all throughout the act until the end where it is carried out. The act even started with Tituba and Sarah Good being delusional and claiming that ‘he’ was coming to take them. This signals the incoming death for both women as they are going to ‘go away’. The hanging of Rebecca Nurse was greatly pressured on as Reverend John Hale pleaded for more time to get her to confess or she would hang. It is also repeated several times that hangs would come by sun rise. This limited time stress the entire scene as it keeps every character on edge. John Proctor’s current state of imprisonment was detailed to the point of it being significant. It would seem like John was the only of the seven prisoners to confess, but in the end, he return to the rope. The ending with the drum rolls amplified the inevitable happens and therefore, the major theme to this act was death.
© Copyright 2007 Fold39Crane (UN: fold39crane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fold39Crane has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496455-The-Crucible-by-Arthur-Miller