*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/499193-54-degrees-beautiful-but-they-are-threatening
by fyn
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1216945
For meandering thoughts, and mindful walks...
#499193 added April 2, 2007 at 8:41pm
Restrictions: None
54 degrees, beautiful, but they are threatening.....
SNOW!!!! Ick!

Got a question for folks. I've been told by my district manager that the two people kept from the old store (pre-remodel) that are there at my discretion.

I met one of them today at the store I'm doing my manager training at.

Now, I am a firm believer in first impressions. Altho I will give people the benefit of the doubt...up to a point. Second chances are a good thing.

Strike 1. When meeting a boss/manager/ type person, I was always taught a firm handshake is a good measure of the type of person one is dealing with. Male or female, that a wimpy, 'I've felt fish more alive than this' handshake says nothing positive.
So I shook this employees hand and ick....dead, dead, DEAD fish.

Strike 2. She reaches over and flicks a finger at the scarf I am wearing. Company uniform being yellow shirts, black pants and a scarf or necktie. Me, I think scarves for women and ties for the men. Looks sharp and professional. If you've ever been in a Mobil 'On the Run' you now the uniforms I'm referring to. Anyway, after flicking her long, french manicured nails at my scarf,[more on this later] I answer that yes, we'd be wearing the scarves. She says that the dm told her it would be their choice. I repeat that we will be wearing the scarves. My store, my rules. (thought but did not say, you work for me....)

Strike 3. On a break she mentioned, or should I say stated, I still get my shift back. I say that i am not sure about that, but that we are hiring some other people and I will be workig out a schedual to best fir the needs of the store. She replies that it is HER shift. I repeat that it is not something that is set i stone. She then informs me that a) she doesn't drive...because she doesn't have a license...because hers is suspended so that b) her boyfriend drops her off on his way to work and that she c) can't work the afternoon shift because she has to babysit the boyfriend's kids. This tells me she...1)hmmmm lost her license for a reason...and in Michigan that tends to be drunk driving....2) cannot ever be 'called in' to cover a shift, 3) may well call out if a kid is sick (which isn't a good excuse really as reliable babysitters are a must for working mms/dads--and she says they do not have one. She also complained about working at the restaurant next door because they haven't paid her yet and are 'stealing her money' when she's says she's only been there 2 weeks (they hold first pay week and pay biweekly) and are one of the oldest established family restaurants in town.

Now, back to those looong ingernails with the expensive looking french tips. As a cashier in a gas/convenience store, one cashiers, does food service, sticks tanks, cleans bathrooms, LOADS/FILLS coolers, mops floors etc. One cannot stoc coolers in a timely fashion if one is worried about 'breaking a nail', nor do I want to have to have a 15 minute task take half an hour because she's being careful o said nails. Not the least of which is fishing change out of a drawer with long nails is darned near impossible.

SO. There I am. One other piece of info is that I was asked ifn I wanted to bring someone in with me. And yes I do and she's applied. This is a cashier/food service person I trust implicitly, who's as familiar with my work ethic as I am with hers...who also wants days. I want her for days, because i need a reliable person checking in vendors, making accurate conts and eventually being trained to help out on weekends and when I am not there for what-ever reason (like weekends)

Now am I wrong in thinking this girl isn't a)gonna last long b)shouldn't last long and/or c)not gonna be a 'good fit'.?





Fyn

© Copyright 2007 fyn (UN: fyndorian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fyn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/499193-54-degrees-beautiful-but-they-are-threatening