*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500856-Tuesday-41007
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1207566
Musings from my mind
#500856 added April 10, 2007 at 8:20pm
Restrictions: None
Tuesday 4/10/07
Well, today was the big presentation day. In my final days of preparation "Sally" has avoided me like the plague. She didn't even bother coming to me and apologizing for leaving me holding the bag on this, the heifer. Instead, she decided to take the weasel way out and avoid me instead. She was conveniently out of the office this morning, and finally came strolling in around lunchtime, after the class was over.

I did well. I was prepared, and was able to answer the questions that were asked. One individual attending the class was a real source of my anxiety, because this person has the tendency to want to try and teach every class herself, wanting to jump two or three steps ahead of the talking points in an effort to "help". I was able to politely redirect her to the talking point we were on at the moment and was also able to obtain good class participation and good discussion on various items. I was real proud of myself.

After the class, I emailed the participants the short exam they were required to take and pass. On my way back to my desk from a trip to the ladies room, I see 4 of the class participants gathered around a computer, taking the test with the assistance of, guess who, SALLY!!! This really pissed me off.

I went to my supervisor, and stated to her what I saw and asked her if she felt that this was appropriate, and that if there was a question they needed to come to me as the instructor, rather than going to someone who hasn't put a thought into this class or lifted a finger to help teach it. She wholeheartedly agreed, and appeared quite unhappy that this was happening. She quickly disbanded the little group, and that did make me happy.

I'm also upset that none of the 4 participants came to me for help. I don't know if they approached Sally or if Sally approached them, but it reeks of disrespect, something I have no tolerance for. Sure, it was handled promptly, but the hurt remains.

I know that in training, ego needs to be shoved aside, and I need to learn how to do that and not take these things personally. This time hurt. I hope it doesn't hurt like this all the time. The fact is, I'm learning how to be a good trainer, and I'm going to make mistakes along the way. The most I can hope for is to learn through these experiences, and become the best trainer I can be.

I think this is a good starting point, and I look forward to see what's on the horizon. My supervisor was impressed with the way I kept the class interested and involved, and she told me that she sees a lot of future training opportunities ahead for me. Makes me want to sleep fast to see what tomorrow will bring!!

My quote for today is "borrowed" from someone else. I read it and it spoke volumes to me: Never make someone a priority when they only make you an option.

Thanks for stopping by,
Curls

© Copyright 2007 purtycurls (UN: lmjinfla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
purtycurls has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500856-Tuesday-41007