*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500913-Puppy-has-a-close-call
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#500913 added April 11, 2007 at 6:03am
Restrictions: None
Puppy has a close call.
My dog got hit by a car today. I bought Puppy almost seven years ago. He was born 3 days after my daughter and I bought him as a birthday gift for myself from a reputable pet store. Those were the days when you could get dogs from pet shops. These days all you can get from a pet shop is fish. All other pets seem to be pound or breeder available only.

Anyway, we called him Puppy and he's lived up to his name. Even at six years of age he's still a puppy at heart. Full of energy and very loving and snuggly. He's a lap dog. Trained to be that way because I wanted a dog that would settle on my lap or my feet when I'm working. He's moderately trained, comes, sits, and stays so long as we BOTH want him to. lol If he's set against following commands then he'll disobey but most of the time he's very good.

One thing we've not been able to break him of is his houdini act. These days he's mostly kept locked inside because my backyard fence is beyond repair. I'm saving in vain for new fencing but meanwhile any time he gets out the back he escapes from there into the front and the streets beyond.

Today was one such day and in the afternoon a woman knocked on the door full of concern. Puppy had rushed to our house right after being hit by her car. I'm thankful for her quick reactions and concern because thanks to both he was alright.

He's licking his wounds and feeling a little sorry for himself but got off lucky with only a few cuts and bruises. Other than being a little sore he's his normal self too and while I might wish he'd have learnt from the experience I know given half a chance he'll be out there raising terror on the streets. He's a georgious dog but he's one of those barker types that's dumb enough to chase cars.

I've trained dogs but can't seem to figure out how to break him of this habit. I'm finally making progress on getting him to return when he gets out. If I'm quick enough he'll now come at command instead of racing off down the street. But that only works if I know he's gotten out and can act immediately. I can't seem to stop him barking or chasing cars or getting out for that matter.

*sighs* I'm just very glad he's ok. Puppy has been around from the very early weeks of my daughter and all my sons life. The kids would be shattered if anything happened to him. I think I'd be more upset then both of them. I really love my dog. I've dealt with the loss of pets in the past but somehow I know if anything happened to him I'd struggle with it.

I don't know if I'd have the strength to have him put down if he got seriously injured. It's amazing the place pets take in our hearts. There is a cat in my past I still mourn greatly along with the pets I'd grown up with. Each has a place in my pool of grieving.

Thankfully Puppy hasn't been added yet. It makes me realize how special he is in my life and he'll get some extra loving care over the next few weeks while his cuts, grazes and bruises heel.

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500913-Puppy-has-a-close-call