*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/503731-Monday-42307
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1207566
Musings from my mind
#503731 added April 23, 2007 at 6:19pm
Restrictions: None
Monday 4/23/07
I need to vent about something that happened today.

Today I was in the Training Room all day training an employee who recently promoted on how to use one of the computer systems needed to work her caseload. So, her and I are in there, our heads together, me teaching, and her learning.

If we had not minded interruptions, we would have simply worked in my cubicle, but we wanted no interruptions, so we we reserved the training room, and an email was sent to all staff members in advance, informing them that the room was reserved for training.

Any reasonable person who saw us working in there would have thought, "Oh, they must not want to be bothered, I'll leave them alone." But, what actually happened, is that people would just walk in, and say, "I saw it was just you two in here, and didn't think you would mind being interrupted." My response was, "yeah, that's why we're in here and not at our desks." I mean, God forbid that we were in the Training Room for f***ing TRAINING!!!!

It doesn't matter if it's two people or a class of 40. The purpose of the Training Room is to be able to work uninterrupted. I was very disappointed at the lack of courtesy and respect. I found it to be very unprofessional, and just down right rude.

I have reserved the room for several more days in the future to do training. I'm not one to be rude to others often, but if this inconsiderate behavior continues, I will totally go off on someone and then they will ALL know that I DO mind having the training interrupted. Maybe I'll follow up my tirade with an email about training room etiquette. My email would include a statement about how it is not ok to press one's nose against the glass window on the door just to "see what we are doing in there."

I already know that a "do not disturb" sign won't work. It will only envoke more curiousity. Besides, I believe that the email sent advising all staff of the training was sufficient. I haven't spoken with my supervisor about it yet. I'll wait to see if this continues. If it does, I may go talk to her about it, or maybe I'll just open up a can on the offender and make an example out of them. I really don't like going into bitch mode. It's not my nature. Yet, as long as I allow them to think that it's ok, they will continue to do it.

Today's quote comes courtesy of Dr. Phil: You teach others how to treat you.

Thanks for stopping by,
Curls

© Copyright 2007 purtycurls (UN: lmjinfla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
purtycurls has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/503731-Monday-42307