*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/504775-Promises-Promises
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#504775 added April 29, 2007 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
Promises, Promises
My son's dad used to throw the words, "I promise" around way too much. Many times, it was because our son asked it of him.

"You promise, Dad?"

"Yes, I promise."

His dad was never good about putting God first, then family. His "projects" always got in the way, the ones that were going to make him his millions. I'm sure he'll go to his grave trying to make his millions. I wonder how much closer he might have gotten if he had remembered the really important things.

Anyway, those projects got in the way, and sometimes he would just forget about the promises he had made to our son. In Derek's early years, there was a pained look that his eyes took on when one of his dad's promises was not fulfilled. Later, his eyes took on a harder, colder look when his dad promised anything. Derek learned not to trust his father's word.

I've been going through a few books I have about God's promises today. Thankfully, our Heavenly Father is nothing like my son's father. God actually does keep His promises. We can take comfort in God's word, knowing that He meant it when it was written and still means it today.

Mark 11:24-25 NIV
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Joshua 1:9 NIV
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Luke 1:50 NIV
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.

Matt 6:31-34 NIV
So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Luke 6:38 KJV
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.


**********

I had been a Christian for many, many years before anyone ever suggested to me that a prayer journal is something every Christian should have. I was in a group of women, most of whom had been in the church for many years. Our speaker was also a women. She asked who had prayer journals. Many of us did. Some even had places in their prayer journal for praise reports. But none of us had ever thought to tie these two things together - our prayers and our praises.

None of us believed in coincidence. And we all knew that when God answers prayers, He can answer, yes, no or wait. But no one had ever suggested to us to put a column in our prayer journals for God's answers. Well, duh.

By changing that one thing, by including God's answers to prayers, it was easy to see that sometimes something that we prayed about months (perhaps years) ago had come to pass. In God's timing. God's perfect timing.

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/504775-Promises-Promises