*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505704-Chapter-1
Rated: E · Book · Animal · #1256882
Ever heard of a woodland madman exterminator?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#505704 added May 2, 2007 at 6:27pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
The Dusty Old Book
         
         An old rabbit walked into the forest's store smiling and holding the tiny hands of her grandchildren;  the oldest a little boy wolf and the youngest two little bunny girls.  "Gwamma Wabbit!  Gwamma Wabbit!" squealed the littlest girl.  "Yes, Bunnie?" answered the grandma.  "What're we gonna get Mama fer her Birfday?"  "That's what we are looking for, little one.  Look for something to do while you visit and something for your Mama for her birthday and then we'll wrap the presents at my house and play with the toys you find," answered Grandma Rabbit, looking at the littlest girl thoughtfully.  "Okay!" both little bunnies answered. 
         "I hate shopping," said the little wolf trying to sound big, but his eyes wandered interestedly across the shop's long shelves.  "Oh, do you now?  Hm... well, since you are too old for this sort of thing, I suppose we could quick drop you off with Grandpa to wait for your sisters," suggested the grandma smiling knowingly.  "Oh, no, you don't have to do that!" answered the wolf pup quickly, "I'll live."  "Okay," she said smiling, "if you're sure.  Now, children, go find what you want.  I'll be over in the cards section if you need any help."  "Okay, Grandma Rabbit!" said the threesome obediently and they all scrambled off to find a present for their mother and something to do when they visit Grandma Rabbit and Grandpa Wolf.
         The little wolf went straight to the cooking aisle.  His mother loved to cook, and how she would love a new set of pots and pans, or a grill, perhaps?  No, his father did the cook-outs.  He found a nice set of copper pans and a stew pot and ran to his grandmother with the gift.  "Oh, your mother will love this, Wolfy.  You found that quickly!" she exclaimed.  "That's because I have Grandpa's nose, and he's the best sniffer-outer in the world!  I sniffed out Mama's pots, Grandma!" he replied proudly.  "Oh!  That's a wonderful job done, Wolfy!  Now how about you sniff out something to do?"  "Okay!" he said, saluting his grandmother playfully, and he ran off.
         As soon as Wolf left, the oldest rabbit jumped in front of her grandma.  "What did you find, Lily?" the little rabbit was asked.  "Look, look!  It's a hat!"  She put on the hat and pretended she was her mother walking through the woods.  "Oh, that's a beautiful hat!" smiled Grandma Rabbit.  "I know, isn't it?  Do you think Mama will love it?" she asked twirling around.  "Oh, certainly!  Now leave this by me and go find a game or something to play with while you visit?"  "Yup!" she squealed and she scurried out.
         A little while later, Bunnie tumbled into the aisle.  "Gwamma Wabbit!  Gwamma Wabbit!" she whispered excitedly, pulling at her grandma's shawl.  "Yes, Bunnie?"  "I found a book!  But it's so big n' dusty and I can't get it down!  Can you help me?  Pleeease?  Pwetty, pwetty please?" asked the littlest rabbit sweetly. "Of course, little Bunnie," smiled the Grandma.  "C'mon, c'mon!  It looks like da best book in da woild and next to it dere's da cook book I wanna get fer Mamma!" the little one called.  "I'm coming, little one.  Grandma's can only run so fast, you know!" replied the rabbit winking.  She could still run pretty fast, as all her grandchildren knew.  "Gwam-ma!" scolded the little one. 
         When they arrived in the book aisle, Wolfy had the cook book in his mouth for his little sister and the other rabbit was jumping up and down pointing at the old dusty book.  "Dank you!" cried the littlest gratefully.  "Your welcome," said Wolfy spitting out the cook book.  "It's up there, Grandma Rabbit!" called Lily, still hopping around and pointing.  The old rabbit squinted through her glasses at the old book.  The spine was ripping and a faded pattern of leaves was printed down the side.
          She took it down and wiped the dust away from the title.  "The War for the Wood" it read.  A tear glistened in the corner of Grandma's eye and rolled down her cheek.  "Did we do somethin' wrong, Gwamma?" asked the littlest bunny, sounding concerned.  "No, honey, you didn't do anything wrong," said the rabbit softly.  Memories flooded into her head in a waterfall of thought.  She sat the book aside and knelt down to hug her grandchildren.  "This is a very good book.  It's a true story, and one that I've lived through.  If you want to hear it, I'll read it to you when we go back home to Grandpa," she said quietly.  "Please do, Grandma," cried the threesome.  "Okay, then," she said sounding chipper, brushing off her skirt and getting herself back together.  "Is this all we're getting, then?" she asked looking and the three presents and the book.  "Yes, Grandma!" they all answered.  They paid for the things and headed home.

         The three children burst through the door of their grandparents' log home.  "Grandpa!"  they cried and they jumped into the arms of an old wolf leaning on his cane in the doorway.  "Hello, children!" smiled the grandfather.  "How are you all today?"  "Tewiffic, Gwampa!" piped Bunnie.  "We went shopping, Grandfather, and got the most lovely Birthday presents for Mother!  Then Bunnie found the dearest old book to read, didn't she, Wolfy?" chimed in Lily. 
         "Uh, sure," said Wolfy, trying to sound tough, "but I don't really like shopping."  "Ah.  Well, I'm sure you are much too old to go shopping with Grandma now, right?" inquired the old wolf, winking at the old rabbit smiling in the hall.  "I sure am!  I am the oldest, so I have to be an example to my little sisters," he exclaimed, puffing out his chest proudly.  Grandpa Wolf tousled the fur on his grandson's head.  "You are such a wise guy.  You can never be too old to go shopping with your grandmother, you know," he said.  Wolfy's sisters started giggling at their big brother, who looked so indignant on his grandfather's lap.
         "I think your grandma is ready to read that 'dear old book' Lily was just talking about, aren't I right?" Grandpa Wolf asked his wife.  "I certainly am," said the old rabbit coming over to give her husband a hug.  "Where do you want to read it?" she asked the littlest.  "Hm... Can we all wead it in da livin' room?" the little one wondered.  "Of course!  Does your grandpa want to hear the story?" smiled Grandma Rabbit.  Three pairs of hopeful eyes settled on their grandpa until the wolf finally agreed to come with them.  The three children cheered and as the littlest took her grandfather's hand and pulled him along, the oldest two scampered into the living room causing Bunnie to cry out, "Hey!  Wait up!"
         The grandma sat down with Bunnie on her lap and the oldest rabbit sat leaning against the side of her.  Grandpa Wolf sat in his favorite chair across from them with Wolfy on his lap.  "Now, remember what happened last time you let Grandma read you a book; you kept interrupting the story and making Grandma lose her place.  This time I expect you will not interrupt," reminded Grandpa. 
         "We promise we will not speak without permission, Grandfather," said Lily, raising her right hand.  The littlest pretended to zip her lips shut, lock it, and throw away the key.  She folded her arms across her chest proudly.  "We won't interrupt this time, Grandma.  We promise!" exclaimed Wolfy, and the littlest, still under the pretend curse of the zipped shut mouth, kept her lips pressed tightly together, nodded and put her right hand over her heart.  "Prmish" she said through her teeth, attempting to say 'promise.'  Lily giggled at her little sister and Wolfy rolled his eyes.
         Both grandparents smiled and Grandma Rabbit began to read the story.  The little one's eyes were wide as they listened to the story.  This is pretty close to how it went...
© Copyright 2007 Bunnigurl (UN: bunnigurl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bunnigurl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505704-Chapter-1