*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506085-On-Your-Page-Exercise-1
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#506085 added May 4, 2007 at 8:04am
Restrictions: None
On Your Page: Exercise 1
Ok, so I'm abusing my blog time. *Wink* Or rather I'm multitasking it. This book I'm reading Page After Page by Heather Sellers has exercises at the end of each chapter. In that way it's like many books on writing and sometimes I do the exercises, sometimes I don't. This time I thought I might as well, no harm in putting that much effort into giving these a try. So, I figured I might kill two birds with one blog and use my blog entry tonight to complete exercise one. So, without further ado:

Exercise 1:
1. Describe the qualities of your ideal writing guidebook. What is covered?
2. Describe the qualities of your ideal writing class. What do you learn?
3. Describe yourself as a student. What are your best student-like qualities?

1. ---
These activities actually say 'list' but I'm not so great with lists. I'm too verbose and I'd like to go into detail. You all know me by now, unless you're a new reader (in which case "Hi and Welcome!"). I don't have a little to say about anything. *Wink*

My ideal writing book would be one that has two words in it. "GO WRITE!" There are all these books out there that I want to read. I know how important it is to read as a writer and I love reading all books, not even just my favorite genres. I love all books. I'm often energized and inspired by reading. It's a fantastic way to recharge and renew my faith in myself. But seriously, sometimes it can be so captivating reading these books that I just want to keep reading. Perhaps instead of these exercises at the end of each chapter it all goes blank and instead just says, "GO WRITE!" Of course, that would still be too easy to ignore.

I find I turn to books about writing when I'm struggling with a block or the fear is overwhelming me. I enjoy the reassurance in these books and I think I need that. I need other writers to tell me, "Yes it is hard but this is normal." "It's supposed to be this way." "It's not meant to be easy." I know when we read best sellers, or fantastic classics it FEELS easy. Because it feels so easy and enjoyable to read it's easy to think it came easy for the writer. It feels wonderful to be reminded that it's NOT EASY. It's HARD work, and that makes it all the more worthwhile.

2. ---
I've never participated in a writing class so I'm not sure what to expect. I did, once, go to a writers group and hated it. Primarily because all members were expected to write on the same topics in the same style rather than being encouraged in our own specific desires. There is nothing wrong with having writing exercises but I don't want to write for topics I don't enjoy. I want the freedom to join with other writers. I want all of us to be writing what we really WANT to write. At the end of the writing period we can then talk about the experience writing. Not the words on the page but how we felt writing them. How hard it was, how confident we are in what was written, or not. I'd like a writing class where instead of comparing the quality of my work with other writers I'm given the freedom to simply share the experience of writing with them.

I'd like that same writing class to do chapter or page exchanges. Each session we go in with what we've been working on all week and each person trades with another random person. That page is filed away and during the time between classes we give an in-depth review to that piece. We bring it back to class the next time and give it back along with our notes/review. The author can then pass the same work to another member to get more feedback or take the review home, rework it then bring it back another day.

I'd like a writing class that focuses on teaching various tools and techniques. Ones that encourage confidence and helps tighten all writing. Perhaps a class that takes an item of work from everyone and captures the weaknesses in each then shows how to tighten it to the entire group so the whole class can learn as a unite from each others work. Or perhaps even just random paragraphs from a non-member or the host. I think it would be important to include various grammar techniques and basic language rules instruction here too such as the difference between verb, noun, pronoun, participle etc.

3. ---
I call myself a life learner. I'm an insatiable student and want to soak and absorb knowledge. I'm a proactive learner too. I want to jump in, head first and sink up to my ears and then claw my way out. I want to experience what I'm learning more than simply reading or being told about it. I get bored with repetition, particularly when it's too easy. I want to be challenges and I want to get down and dirty with it. I want to work up a sweat. I want to push my boundaries and stretch my mind.

I'm the kind of student who wants to question everything. I want to know WHY! Don't tell me it is if you can't justify WHY it just is. For example, why does a negative times a negative equal a positive? It just does? NO!!! WHY??? Show my how that works! I want to people to argue their point of view with me. If I say something that counters your beliefs then I honestly don't want you to back down and say believe what you want I WANT you to argue for your beliefs. Stand up for what you believe, CONVINCE ME! I mightn't change my opinion but I will respect you if you can argue your point. I'm adept at playing devils advocate, I'm going to toss logic at you. I'm not trying to change your believes but make you THINK about WHY you believe that I want you to be very sure you can maintain your faith. I want you to KNOW you're right, be so certain in your convictions that there is no doubt.

As a student I want to try everything. I want to explore all subjects and I want to twist and mould them under my fingers. I think of knowledge like play-doh. It's solid but mobile, tangible, shapable. I want to experience subjects from all angles and know things to their deepest degree. I want to understand art. I want to analyse poetry and learn about the creators. I want to know the lives behind artists, politians, explorers. I want to know how the people who came before me did it. I want to learn from the people who succeeded in living their dreams and I want to know every step they took on their path.

Ok, so that's the exercise done I guess. I've actually surprised myself having much stronger ideas of what I want then I thought I would when I read the questions. I didn't think I knew, but I guess I do. *chuckles* Anyone else feel like doing the exercise?

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506085-On-Your-Page-Exercise-1