*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506696-Anger-Management---Sundays-Sermon
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#506696 added May 7, 2007 at 10:16am
Restrictions: None
Anger Management - Sunday's Sermon
Boy, oh boy, a sermon on anger management. Was that something I really needed to hear? Me? Little Ms. Merry Sunshine? Well, our pastor also spoke of self-control in general, and that's certainly something I needed to hear. *Smile*

The sermon series continues....about Building Character.

Some of my margin notes:

*Note*Anything uncontrolled can destroy you.

*Note*Anger is not necessarily sin. Sometimes anger is justified. (Remember Jesus in the temple?) But see the note above? If it's uncontrolled...

*Note*Are you a skunk or a turtle? What kind of question is that? I'm neither, right? Hmmm. What are we talking about here? A skunk is one whose anger (and other behaviors, I would think) affect everything and everyone around them. You know a skunk when you see him (or smell him). A turtle hides from everything. When there is conflict, a turtle just pulls his head back into his shell waiting for everything to calm down again.

*Note*In the US, there are an average of 32 shootings every day. We don't get excited about them. Unless it's all in one place and time, like the VA Tech massacre. And that day, there were probably 32 other shootings we didn't hear about or care about.

*Note*Why are we so stressed? Fast paced lives. Irresponsible people. (Us and them.)

*Note**Laugh*Men speak an average of 20,000 words each day. Women? 30,000 words. We spend 1/5 of our lives talking.

Joke:
One man to another: "Don't you resent it when your wife gets the last word?"
Second man: "Are you kidding? I'm just glad she's finished."


Hahaha. Grrr. Oops. Controlling anger.

*Note*You're never going to get to the top if you keep blowing it. (Your top, that is.) *Bigsmile*

*Note*What we say with our mouths comes from our hearts. Thankfully, God is the best heart surgeon around.

*Note*"I will never let another man control my life by making me hate him." ~ Booker T. Washington


Okay...on to the fill-in-the-blanks...

Self-Control is Possible if....

*Note*I commit to controlling it.

Proverbs 29:11 (NIV) A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.

Circle and underline the word "keeps". We must decide in advance to control our anger.

See also Philippians 4:13. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

*Note*I must calculate the cost.

Proverbs 11:29 (TLB) The fool who provokes his family to anger and resentment will finally have nothing worthwhile left. He shall be the servant of a wiser man.

As a parent, do you want short-term obedience (fear?), or long-term respect?

*Note*I must curb my comments.

Titus 3:9 (NCV) But stay away from those who have foolish arguments...Those things are worth nothing and will not help anyone.

James 1:19-20 (TLB) Dear brothers, don't ever forget that it is best to listen much, speak little, and become not angry; for anger doesn't make us good, as God demands that we must be.

See also: Proverbs 21:23 (about keeping your mouth shut)

*Note*I must count before I counter. Reflect before react.

Proverbs 21:11 (NEB) A stupid man gives free rein to his anger; a wise man waits and lets it grow cool.

*Laugh*God was the first one to say, "Just chill."

Ephesians 4:16 (NIV) In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.

Myth: Your anger is a reservoir that will finally empty. Nope. It's a factory. More and more anger is made if we let it...

Chek out Provers 19:11 too.

How to Turn It Around:

*Note*Return blessings for curses.

Romans 12:17-21 (NLT) Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honarable. Do your part to live in peace with everyone, a much as possible. Dear friends, never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. For it is written, "I will take vengence; I will repay those who deserve it," says the Lord. Instead, do what the Scriptures say, "If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink, and they will be ashamed of what they have done to you. Don't let evil get the best of you, but conquer evil by doing good.

*Note*Release the rudder to the redeemer.

(Note to readers: Our pastor races sailboats, and he always tries to get something into his sermons about boats.)

James 3:4-5 (TLB) And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong. So also the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. A great forest can be set on fire by one tiny spark.

*Note*Personal Prayer: "Lord, help me control my tongue; help me be careful about what I say." Psalms 141:3 (NCV)

Matthew 12:34 (NKJV) Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

2 Corinthians 5:17 (TLB) When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!



Don't have lots of time for studying the Bible? (Although how can we not have time for that?!?) Try short daily doses. At least vow to start your day with a small portion of God's word. It WILL help you cope. It WILL help you control your anger.

Suggested small doses this week:
Monday Proverbs 29:11
Tuesday Titus 3:9
Wednesday Ephesians 4:26
Thursday Romans 12:17
Friday Matthew 12:34
Saturday James 3:4-5
Sunday 2 Corinthians 5:17







© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506696-Anger-Management---Sundays-Sermon