*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508034-The-sounds-ofanger-disrespect
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#508034 added May 13, 2007 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
The sounds of...anger? disrespect?
The music of the birds was interrupted this morning by a teen coming home. At 8 a.m.? From where at that hour? I dont' know.

I do know that as she exited the car of a boy, she slammed the car door just like anyone would. His reaction was, "Don't you EVER slam my car door that way again!!!" My heart ached for her and for him. Just the way those words escaped his mouth made me think that his car is more important that people, or at least than this girl. The anger in his voice scared me, a person just sitting quietly on my porch trying to hear the song of the birds. I wonder if his voice and his words worried her.

As she entered her home, I didn't hear the words of her parents. I did hear her voice, even through closed windows and doors. "Whatever!"

The boy sat impatiently waiting in the car. How do I know? Because he beeped the horn. Folks in our neighborhood are much like those in other neighborhoods. Those who don't attend church services like to sleep late on Sunday mornings. This young man cared not that he might waken anyone. He beeped the horn a second time.

She exited the house and got into his car again and they drove away. He drove much too fast for a residential area.

Ours is not what one would consider a white trash neighborhood. In fact, we live in a township with good schools, mostly residences, with businesses grouped mostly in one or two places. Our township has some rather large and expensive homes and a country club. Our own little subdivision holds some of the more modest homes.

Still, in past days, the kind of behavior exhibited this morning by a teen girl and boy would not have occurred in a neighborhood such as ours.

Now, disrespect of friends and family are something evident in all kinds of neighborhoods.

I worry for that girl and boy. I hope he doesn't get more abusive than those few words he shouted today. But I also know that between 25 and 33 percent of all women will be abused. And by allowing herself to subjected to those few unkind words, she has opened the door just a crack. That young man may try to see how much more she will take.

*****

It was only about 8-ish when I typed these words. Hubby and I went to the early service at church, so he could come back and finish studying. (He has a test at work on Tuesday, and he's cramming.)

Our pastor's series on character continued today. Today's focus? Respect. With the 5th Commandment brought in for Mother's Day: Ex 20:12 NIV "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

God gave me a sermon illustration in my own neighborhood, before I even got to church.





© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508034-The-sounds-ofanger-disrespect