*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/510292-Stress-Relief
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#510292 added July 7, 2007 at 10:26am
Restrictions: None
Stress Relief
Eczema. Though doctors can treat it with steroid creams, they have no idea what causes it, nor do they have a cure. They do, however know of two things that can cause it to flare up:

Allergies. I discovered my eczema through an allergic reaction to Tide and other laundry detergents containing dyes and perfumes. I didn’t discover it was due to an allergy until I saw a Cheer Free commercial. The announcer asked, “Do your clothes bother you? Do you itch?” I thought, “Yes!”

I gave Cheer Free a try, and two weeks after using it, my eczema cleared up. I had tolerated the rash for over a year, and was so wide-spread, I wore long-sleeve shirts and pants during the hottest days of the summer.

I still have one patch on my left ankle that refuses to go away, but that I can handle. Most of the time. I often scratch that madness-inducing itch until my fingers come away bloody. I also break out once in a while on my elbows, and in the middle of my back (the one spot I can’t scratch without contortions, dang it).

Those appear when I’m particularly stressed – another cause for eczema flare-ups.

Stress is not good for the body or mind in any circumstance. We need to find ways to release it, otherwise the body rebels, often not in a good way.

For me, as with most of you, I relieve much of my stress through writing.

What happens, then, when I can’t write? You guessed it. Eczema flare ups. Right now, I itch all over. It’s not severe yet, but unless I do something about it, it’ll only get worse.

I have two options: cover myself with steroid cream or write.

That’s a no-brainer: writing. Not because it’s cheaper and requires no prescription, but I have to avoid steroid creams.

It simply would not be healthy for someone who’s about 4 weeks pregnant. It may not harm the baby, but why take a chance?

Some of you may have read that last paragraph twice to be certain I wrote what you think I wrote.

I will write it again so you know I didn’t have some nasty finger-fart: I am about 4 weeks pregnant.

I suspected for a while, but known for a week now, taking two EPT (Early Pregnancy Tests) and having a blood test done last Tuesday, all three resulting in positive.

Dave and I decided a long time ago when I do get pregnant, we would tell no one until after the first trimester. Dave’s brother and his wife, who tried even harder to have children than we did, told everyone the moment they found out – twice – and each one resulted in miscarriage.

I can only imagine how devastating it was, but to have to tell everyone only made it worse, I’m sure.

Dave and I don’t want to go through that.

Why, then, am I telling you now? Because I plain can’t hold it in! My body’s telling me I have to relieve this stress, so relieve it I must.

Besides, if something does go wrong, I will only have to write it once here. My family and my other friends, though, will still have to wait. That’s tough, let me tell you! It’s on the edge of my tongue every time I talk with someone, especially one who I know will understand. I want to share all the little details of what my body is going through, my concerns, and my excitements.

I also owe you an apology. I caused you to worry about me with my previous and super-cryptic entries. You were so thoughtful, and so caring, I simply could no longer let you think something terrible was going on. It bordered on cruel, and I’m sorry.

I’m sure many of my subsequent entries will focus on this simultaneously exciting and frightening journey, though I promise to give you some variety. For you men out there, fret not. I will keep the gory details to a minimum!

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/510292-Stress-Relief