*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/512256-
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#512256 added June 1, 2007 at 12:18pm
Restrictions: None
Further ‘Splainin’
To those who read my entry yesterday, but didn’t read all the comments, I want to stress it wasn’t a complaint against blogging, but about how I need to switch my expectations with my other writings from about me to about the story and its characters, or about the article and its message. A journal, or blog, is supposed to be about the person writing it. It’s the personal, individual touch that makes the rest of us come back for more.

Hey, the first sentence of the above paragraph is long: 53 words! It doesn’t beat my record of 67, though.

zwisis made an excellent point yesterday about how a reader does care about an author on a personal level, and she used JK Rowling as an example. Very true, but that didn’t happen until after her novels succeeded. She, and most other authors, gain recognition through their writing, not through their personality to start.

As with most things in life, there are exceptions. Entertainers are one. Who wouldn’t want to read a book written by their favorite actor, comedian, or even politician?

Is it possible to turn the eye of a publisher or agent through a person’s blog? Absolutely, but I believe it requires two ingredients: top writing ability, and some marketing savvy. As I stated in yesterday’s entry, if a person’s writing isn’t excellent, no matter the subject, publishers won’t take a second look. A person also needs to find a way to gain the attention of thousands of readers - and return readers to boot. Those who’ve achieved book deals through their blogs claimed those numbers.

I am not one of those people. For one, though I think some of my entries would make excellent articles, my writing and the subjects I choose to discuss aren’t consistent enough for that kind of attention. Plus, I’m not motivated enough to self-market, at least not where my journal here is concerned.

Besides, as much as I enjoy adding entries, and having you read and comment, it’s not my highest passion. Recently I’ve lost focus on what that passion is, and could be the main reason I’ve had so much trouble writing and sending what I’ve written out to editors.

I have to once again ask myself: Why do I write? If I am to leave anything of value behind when God calls me home, what would that be?

I used to know the answer with little to no thought. Now I’m not so certain. I’m sure the lack of confidence stems from listening to my doubts too often.

Confidence grows only by taking chances, and I’ve taken few chances of late.

In discussing this with a friend a few days ago, I said by not moving forward with my stories and articles, I’m disobeying God. He gave me the talent, and the passion, so why am I not using it? I have much to show for it, yes, but most of those results, as I said previous, sit idle collecting computer dust. That’s about as useful as a minister preaching to an empty room.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/512256-