*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/513157-On-Turning-Twenty-Five
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#513157 added June 5, 2007 at 9:41am
Restrictions: None
On Turning Twenty-Five
Today is another day... It's my birthday but one of those things I've noticed as I've gotten older is it's still, just another day. I still get up in the morning and get my rug rats dressed and fed. I get the oldest off to school. It's just another day. I visit my mother, we chat and have coffee and cake for morning tea. Just another day. I go home and work for a few hours, just like any other day. Pick my daughter up from school, help with homework, cook dinner, do the dishes, get the kids bathed and to bed. Yes, it's just any other day except I guess I'm a day older.

The only difference today was the text messages. I got one late last night from my sister who is currently touring Europe. One from Lupo, my friend in Italy *ponders* Hey! If I'd have thought about it I he could have met with my sister. lol One from my stepfather who always remembers, he's a great stepdad even if he and my mother are now divorced. And strangely enough, one from my local video store wishing me a Happy Birthday and giving me a free DVD rental. *chuckles* Oh, and my other sister called on the phone, but she's known to do that every couple of weeks anyway.

Birthdays seem to go by without a great deal of fuss. Mine does at least and most of the time I prefer that. Because I'm not expecting anything to happen I'm not disappointed when it doesn't. I used to get excited about my birthday coming up but ultimately it was always a let down. That's ok, it really is just like any other day.

I think my birthday probably means more to my mother than it does to me. I remember my daughter's birthday, and my sons. They were both recent, in April, so even my blonde roots can remember them fondly at the moment. I remembered the memories of their REAL birth day. Not, as Matt says, the Anniversary of the Birth Day. Yes, he even sang me, "Happy Anniversary of your Birthday To You..." He's sincerely cute in his lameness sometimes. *Wink*

Um... Sidetracked... Anyway, what was I saying? Oh, yes, I remember the day of my kids birth on their birthdays now and see the years that have passed, the way they've grown and the little people they have become. Their births are more significant to me than my own. I suspect my birth was more significant to my mother than it was to me. When I think of the way my mind flashed through the years as my kids turned seven and three I wonder if hers does the same.

People keep mentioning that I've just turned a quarter-century. You know, that makes me a quarter dead right? *Wink* I'm getting old. But I know I'm not really. I still feel very young and out of depth in the world. I know there is so much I don't know, so much I haven't experienced yet. There is still so much more to come and I can see those experiences on the horizon. The REST that I want from my life, the goals I'm aspiring to and the years I have ahead of me. I feel young.

Then again, I suspect when another quarter-century has passed me by I'll still feel young. I'll be older, but I'm that ever glass-half-full type girl when it comes to life. There are always new rainbows to explore. I wonder if I'll still dancing in the rain and jump in puddles, perhaps with the grandkids when I'm fifty.

Now, after a hot shower and with the only noises around me the friendly buzzing of my computer and the bluster of winter winds outside I settle in beside the fire and actually want to work tonight. Still not FoT, but I'm in the mood to concentrate, to learn, to improve myself. Perhaps that's part of the whole birthday thing. The sense of time passing me by. Today was just another day, and I have all my tomorrows ahead of me. *Smile*

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/513157-On-Turning-Twenty-Five