*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517641
by Smee
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1279340
Here it is... much of my storygame.
#517641 added June 27, 2007 at 3:51am
Restrictions: None
Trengin : Convincing.
Chapter 7: Convincing

Doubt clouded my thoughts. Given this news Frenquath didn’t seem as important anymore, but the bridge was still nagging me with questions. How had Hunt reactivated the shield? Just how powerful was it? What if the Sempa managed to take control of it?

I realised then that the last two questions could easily be asked about the caravan, and that had no magical shield to protect it. I would have to hope that Captain Hunt could hold the bridge; the risk to the caravan was too great.

"OK Srune, I'm convinced the caravan needs our help. I want to make it clear though." I swung round fiercely to face Roah. "This doesn't mean I've joined your Circle."

Srune was immediately at my side, a hand on my shoulder. "Calm down, we understand." Roah nodded his agreement. Srune continued, "More importantly we are glad of your help. Lets get to planning."

-~-

Two days later we were galloping as fast as we could on exhausted, foaming horses. Suddenly Srune reigned in to a walk; Roah and I copied, much to the delight of our respective carriers. The air was crisp and the ragged breathing of our horses the only sound. Up ahead began the forest we'd been heading to. A little over an hour away was a large clearing; an ideal camp-site, where we expected, hoped, the caravan would choose to stay for the night.

Roah led his horse in first and I followed. We didn't need to break the silence with talk, we'd planned everything we could and knew there was a chance Sempa spies could be in the woodland. We didn't want to be overheard. Srune followed behind, raising a small breeze behind us to abolish our tracks in the leaf litter. I urged my horse into a brief trot and pulled up along side Roah. With a nod he took my reins as I closed my eyes.

I gathered my power, and twisted a gesture with a finger against my palm. I sent it out, but the spell flickered and died. With some annoyance I repeated the gesture, adding a boost to it at an expense of more energy. Again I released the spell and this time it held. My consciousness glided out of my body and roamed around us, seeking any sign of hostile life. Briefly I considered how much easier it had been to do this when I was at home in familiar territory.

Without warning the spell exploded around me. My vision became a swirling mass of black. I spun round frantically trying to remember where my body was, but I could see nothing.

~

"Trengin, Trengin. Wake up, can you hear me?"

A warm tickle of power crept down my spine, and my eyes snapped open. Blurred forms hovered over me and I blinked to clear my vision. Slowly focus returned and I saw the anxious eyes of Srune and Roah to either side of me.

"I'm ok," I croaked. With a cough I sat upright and managed a much clearer voice. "What happened?"

"We were going to ask you the same thing! You suddenly screamed and it spooked your horse. Before Roah could stop it you'd fallen."

"Something interrupted my spell, my vision went black and I was lost from my body. The fall from the horse must have jolted me back."

"What caused your spell to do that?" Said Roah.

"I don't know, but it can't be good, and it must be close. I can't travel that far."

"Did you see anything suspicious?" Srune asked.

"No, I was literally seconds away from coming back to report all clear when it happened. We should get moving though, we've wasted enough time here."

"Are you ok?"

I bent my legs to stand and immediately felt the bruise where I'd landed from my fall. It'd be stiff and sore the next day, but I'd be ok. Carefully I got to my feet.

"Everything seems to be ok."

"Are you sure," Roah persisted.

I managed a weak smile, and did a little dance with much protest from my behind.

"Yes I'm sure, nothing but a bruise."

They didn't seem convinced, and after we'd remounted I took the lead, leaving them to watch me worriedly from behind. I didn't attempt to scout again, but we made it to the clearing without any more trouble.

Over two miles across, it rose gently to a small peak in the middle, a small scattering of low-lying bushes here and there in the grass. Tree sentinels stood all around looking both protective and intimidating; the place was deserted. A small stream wound briefly out of the trees along the northern side, providing an ample water supply. This really was an ideal camping ground for a considerable number. Any attacking Sempa would have to come out from the trees quite some distance to be within strking point of the middle.

"Ok let's get set up over there, near the edge of the water. We'll be out the way but close enough to react."

I nodded my agreement with Srune and we made our way over to the stream's bank. Our horses gratefully started drinking before turning their attention to some serious grazing on the lush bank-grass. With their needs sorted after the exhausting journey we turned to our own comforts. In short order a three-man tent was erect and a fire pit excavated. Roah walked briefly into the woodland returning swiftly followed by a line of firewood obediently floating behind. At a gesture they arranged themselves artfully in the pit and then ignited into a cheery fire. Srune completed the task with a protective ring of stones. As the last rock floated into position the sound of horses echoed across the clearing.

"Watch it, scouts have arrived," I announced.

We all spun round to face the small group. They approached with nervous looks and arrows nocked in bows. Immediately we held our hands up and faced our palms behind us in the accepted gesture of peace from a mage. Srune took the lead.

"Welcome Gentlemen. You're right on time. When will the caravan get here?"

The middle soldier spoke up, a crest on his armour signifying his rank above the others. He was young, maybe a score and five years at most. A thin beard decorated the face that looked down at us, with an expression like he'd discovered a nest of vipers. Of course we were far more dangerous.

"Who are you, and how do you know about the caravan." He barely held the tremor in his voice, remarkable given the usual response from a Sempa challenged in this way.

"My name is Srune. My friends here are Roah and Trengin. As you have no doubt noted we are all mages, however we mean no harm, quite the opposite in fact."

Doubt and worry stormed across the lieutenant’s face. Srune kept up the verbal distraction before the wrong decision was made out of fear.

"We understand your company is escorting a most valuable caravan. We believe you are likely to be attacked by Sempa, and have come here to offer our services in protecting you as best we can."

I noticed a slight relaxation of the eyes, but it wasn't for long. They had heard too many stories, and had too many comrades die from Sempa attacks to be put at ease so easily.

"You will need to talk to the Captain, and I'll need to restrain you until he arrives. I can't promise he won't have you executed, mages aren't to be trusted anymore and everyone knows none of them help."

"We're the first, as far as we know. Of course we'll speak with your Captain. If you tie our hands behind our backs with palms facing outwards will be as incapacitated as you can get us without knocking us out."

Srune ended with a large grin, trying desperately to prove our good intentions. There was no real way to prevent a conscious mage from casting a spell but with our hands behind our backs we wouldn't be able to complete the stronger spells, or aim very well. It was the best we could offer. There are a number of plant-based concoctions that could render a mage incapable of casting spells in a variety of ways, but all of them would last too long and be dangerous if the Sempa attacked before they wore off. Thankfully the soldier seemed happy with the offer and ordered several of his men to dismount and bind us as directed. He also sent one scout back to inform his superiors.

Once complete we were seated around our fire under guard, all of them avoiding eye contact with us. Clearly Srune hadn't convinced everyone yet. The lieutenant and two of his men circled the clearing on horseback. They arrived back and it was obvious they had come to the same conclusion; it was a great place to camp.

We waited in silence for an hour before finally hearing the faint thumping of the many men and horses accompanying the caravan. A few minutes later the first soldiers emerged from the tree on the east side. The scout that had ridden back was in the lead and he led the procession to our small camp. Several hundred men came first, followed by the first wagon of the caravan. Eight more wagons came next, each with a score more soldiers ringing them. Finally came more soldiers. They gathered in the middle of the clearing, efficient troops already setting about making a camp complete with basic defences. A group of horse riders broke away from the line and approached our fire. A few feet away the front riders peeled away to the sides revealing a highly decorated man atop a fine black horse. Burnished steel armour shone in the late afternoon sun, rising up to a dark haired man of middle years. Whether it was good for us or not he had a smile on his face.

"Well this is a sight I didn't expect. The first mages caught in this war, and by scouts. High command is going to be pleased."

As one we turned to the scout that had ridden off to tell the main group about us. He had clearly not believed us like the lieutenant had, and his report was clearly biased against us. Srune's face went red with anger, but thankfully before he could do anything to make the situation worse the lieutenant spoke up.

"Sir, I don't believe they mean us harm."

The Captain turned his gaze to his subordinate and they younger man swallowed hard.

"Oh yes and what makes you think that."

"I'm not sure what Johnsen reported to you, but they gave themselves up peacefully, and told us they intend to help protect us should Sempa attack. They even assisted us with the best way to tie them up."

As he finished speaking his gaze flickered to the scout he'd sent off to report. I saw annoyance there for a second; perhaps there was a chance yet. His eye returned to his Captain's, unwavering despite his nerves.

"This contrasts highly with the original report. I was told a small group of Sempa were caught unawares. I admit I was surprised that it had been so easily and without loss."

He turned to the hapless scout.

"Johnsen, you will explain yourself later. Dismissed."

The scout saluted haughtily and stalked off. The Captain turned to us once again.

"You've made an impression on my lieutenant. Trusting a mage isn't done lightly these days. If it's true then it truly is a marvel. For many months we've petitioned for a mage escort, but none have responded. Why now?"

Again Srune spoke on our behalf.

"Our thanks Captain for listening to reason. I fear the reason for none of my kind assisting is through fear. We have been reduced to hiding because of the fears from the populace, and for risk to our own lives from the Sempa. We three have decided it is time to stop hiding and start fighting back."

I almost choked on this, but managed to control myself. He continued.

"We hope to win more to our cause, but for now we are few. The Sempa have managed to seem invincible so far, maybe if we can dispute that claim more will join us. We believe this caravan is a good place to start."

The Captain nodded.

"I suppose the eight wagons of ancient magic writings have something to do with it," he said shrewdly.

Srune reacted well and laughed.

"Haha, quite true Captain, we did hope, should our defence prove adequate, we might have chance to browse through the collection, but for more reasons than professional interest. If there are more details of places like the bridge then it is vital that the Sempa don't gain such knowledge. It is to prevent that outcome that supersedes any other reasons."

Again the Captain nodded. Srune was doing well.

"Captain Hunt saw such a threat as well. We have as much protection as we can spare, and as you can see against normal forces we have quite sufficient numbers to repel an attack, but against Sempa we have no chance. Our current orders are to protect the caravan long enough for the contents to be destroyed should an attack happen. We don't intend to let them have this knowledge."

I was impressed, as was Srune.

"That is certainly brave Captain. You have our highest respect for what you do. It is our aim to avoid that, but should such an event be required we could destroy the wagons in a heartbeat, and hopefully keep most of your men alive in the process."

"Ok, I've made my decision."

We all looked at him patiently.

"I am going to trust you to your word. However, I cannot know that you aren't Sempa spies trying to infiltrate the camp knowing we would sooner destroy the caravan than give it up. You will go nowhere near the wagons until either any Sempa attack is defeated or we arrive safely to our destination. Men will be in place with torches ready to destroy the wagons should any of you approach too close. You understand my worries."

Relief washed over me. Finally we could get on with this. Srune replied for us.

"We certainly do. Obviously trust has to be earned, and sadly no mage has done anything to deserve it in many years, and much has been done to lose it. Hopefully this can mark a change."

For the final time the Captain nodded, and then gestured to two mounted guards flanking him.

"Release them."

I spoke up.

"There's no need Captain. There really is no way to keep a mage captured whilst he is still conscious. We meant no falsehood, our current restraints are the best you could do, but ultimately futile."

There was a slight hum to the air and each of us parted the ropes binding us. Rubbing my wrist even though they weren't sore, I rose to my feet. Surprisingly the Captain laughed.

"Haha, 'tis good to know. Men, be sure to knock-out any Sempa you capture."

We laughed along with him, but then Srune turned serious for a second.

"There is probably a lot we could teach you about mage weaknesses that may help your men if they are lucky."

The Captain sobered immediately.

"You're right, there is much to discuss. Let's go and do that over some hot food."

Looking behind him we saw that the camp was established, and several large cook fires were already blazing. They certainly were efficient. We mounted our horses, it was only a short walk, but the Captain was mounted and it was awkward walking along side. At the Captain's command we all headed to the top of the small rise in the middle of the clearing. The Captain's tent was huge, doubling as a command tent during the day. We all dismounted and headed to the entranceway flanked by two guards. Before even the Captain had entered, the encroaching night was pierced by a scream, followed swiftly by a trumpet call.

Cries of "ATTACK" immediately rang our around us, and the Captain spun round on his heels. I too turned around, frantically searching for the cause of the alarm. I didn't have to wait long as a huge ball of flame erupted from the south side, flying swiftly into the sky in a lazy arc.

The cries immediately turned to panic, "SEMPA ATTACK".

The fireball rushed towards the ground. It would land amongst a heaving mass of soldiers running to their positions. My hands shot up, instinctively going to dissolve the fireball when Srune's voice cut through the din.

"Trengin no, they'll know we are here. We have to stop the soldiers from destroying the caravan."

Time slowed, and I looked quickly from the fireball to Srune's face. I noticed the Captain shouting out orders everywhere. Roah was looking in horror at the fireball, his own hands partially raised as well. In that infintesimal time I cursed the luck that made them attack now.
© Copyright 2007 Smee (UN: smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Smee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517641