*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517835
by Smee
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1279340
Here it is... much of my storygame.
#517835 added June 28, 2007 at 4:45am
Restrictions: None
Trengin : Etonreh
Chapter 13a : Etonreh

The lone rider almost fell from his horse, but a guard ran up to assist him and he managed to keep his feet. So much was his hurry that next his thick travel cloak caught in the saddle and yanked him back. This time he did fall, dragging the heavily mailed guard down with him. Loud curses followed but they finally managed to disentangle the cloak and themselves and make it up the steps into the main hall.

With some relief the guard left the rider and returned to his post, shaking his head and straightening his armour as he went. Meanwhile the rider took several deep breaths and tried to force his body to obey for just a few minutes more.

He walked briskly down several corridors; his legs strangely angled after his several days in the saddle; and knocked sharply on the ornate doors at the end. It opened almost immediately and he was ushered inside.

"What news do you bring? Is the caravan safe?" The voice was deep and authoritative.

The rider took one more deep breath and replied, his words gushing out in his eagerness, spilling over each other and making little sense.

"Get the man a drink," the voice interrupted and a goblet of red wine was thrust into the rider's hand. His eyes spoke his thanks and he visibly relaxed as he drank deeply and swallowed with a sigh.

"Thank you Sir, I needed that."

"That's ok Messenger. Your report?"

"We got attacked by six Sempa a few miles before we made it out Gellneth Forest, Sir..."

The General looked disappointed and cut in. "Please tell me the caravan was destroyed before they got their filthy hands on it."

"I was about to add Sir, that moments before the attack we came across three other mages who claimed to be there to work against the Sempa and protect us. Captain Rosten spoke to them and came to some agreement with them."

"They were probably spies, did the Captain explain the agreement to you?"

"No Sir, but I saw them with my own eyes. They killed four of the Sempa. Great fireballs came towards us, and before they could hit, the men were just moved out the way. Either that or the fireballs dissolved in the air above us…"

The rider’s eyes were wide open, and his hands animated as he tried to explain events far beyond his experience or ability to understand. Despite that, he didn't embellish the details, the truth quite amazing enough without exaggeration. He went through the whole battle, and spoke of the strange affliction that struck down one of the mages and his later recovery.

"…Even now they are travelling back with the caravan in case there's another Sempa attack."

The General had remained quiet throughout the rest of the report, his eyes hiding any emotion.

"So, more have joined our cause," he whispered to himself. The rider perked up at the sound but didn't make anything out.

"Great job Messenger, you have done very well bringing me this news so swiftly. This battle was only the night before last you say. A day and a night from Gellneth Forest is swift travel indeed. Tell the barracks commander that you are relieved of duties for two days and to be given double rations. Rest and recuperate."

A broad grin spread across the rider's face, but sagged a little as he realised just how tired he was. The General noticed and dismissed him. He saluted, ran forward to leave a written version of the report on a desk and left.

The General turned to the Captain next to him. He was a tall man, unassuming despite his rank, and a very able officer. He was known for quiet words rather than brash actions.

"What do you make of this?"

The Captain thought for a moment before replying.

"I’ve known Captain Rosten since training. He is no fool. If he trusts these mages, and if half what the Messenger says is true, then they have done us a great service. The lives they saved alone are worthy of our thanks; saving the caravan could be immeasurably more valuable."

The General looked up from the written report and nodded his agreement.

"Looking at this report it seems the Captain has granted the mages access to the caravan during the journey here. We must let Borhe know as I’m sure he’ll be interested in what they discover."

The Captain nodded, but then spoke up.

"You intend to await their arrival then Sir?"

The General looked at his Captain with a knowing eye and a slight smile.

"I did, but something tells me you have an alternative."

"It's regarding the lack of reports from Captain Hunt at Grenton bridge. Along with our thanks for services so far we could send a request to our new ‘allies’ to visit the bridge and find out what is going on. If it has been attacked as Hunt feared during his last message then they are the most likely to be able to survive a scouting mission and get back here."

The General’s smile extended into something more recognisable.

"An excellent idea Captain. See that a messenger is dispatched at once."

"At once Sir. Might I also suggest we allow them to take anything they think might help from the caravan as a means of ...persuading them? It might make them more likely to accept the mission if they were having doubts."

The General looked doubtful for a moment.

"I'll allow that, but make sure they leave notes about what they have taken so that Borhe can read what they have discovered. Also let them know about Wallis."

"Yes Sir."

An hour later another rider left for the return journey, a scroll sealed away in his travel pouch, cloak flapping in the wind as he galloped towards the caravan.

~

Chapter 13b : Research and Development

The guards surrounding the caravan saluted their captain smartly. He all but ignored them as he ushered us through into the rough circle of wagons.

He waved a hand around the circle almost proudly. "Ignore the front two, but the rest are from the dig-site. I’ll leave you to it," he added with a wink.

Srune let out a low whistle. "Where do we begin?" His turned to face us, his smile now matching our own.

"Let’s take a wagon each to start with," I said, running for the nearest one. I went to enter it, but then I saw that every inch was crammed full with books, scrolls, chests and artefacts. There was no way I’d be able to get in, let alone sit in any comfort.

Moans from nearby wagons confirmed the same conclusions from the other two. I wandered over to them.

"It’s no use trying anything now. We need light and a team of a hundred to get through this lot. Let’s get what rest we can for the night and start again tomorrow morning."

Srune was right and I nodded my agreement. As we passed back through the ring to our tents I reached out and grabbed the nearest book. Roah looked at me slyly.

"Bedtime reading," I protested innocently. He just laughed.

~

Despite my earlier enthusiasm as soon as I entered the tent a wave of exhaustion rolled over me. As I set the book down I noticed the title "A way around". It didn't give any clues as to its contents but my tiredness prevented any curiosity. I prepared for sleep and then waved a weary hand at the candle. As fast as it winked out I was asleep and didn't even notice Roah or Srune when they entered a little later.

~

The horn sounded an hour before dawn. Despite only a few hours sleep I felt refreshed and quickly dressed. I emerged from the tent to see soldiers moving about efficiently as they packed up the camp. Roah and Srune appeared behind me looking tired. Roah stifled a yawn and promptly re-applied his smile from the day before.

"Let's pack up quick and get to the wagons, we should dig out enough space for us to at least sit in them as we move. I don't fancy reading from horseback."

Srune and I grinned and nodded. A few quick gestures later and we were riding our horses through the remains of the camp. We left our horses with a handler and travelled the rest of the way on foot. A quick evaluation of the wagons and we picked the one with the most space. From that one we quickly moved a few of the larger chests and piles of books into spare space in the front two wagons.

Despite the trivial nature of the magic we used for the lifting we still attracted a fair crowd of the younger soldiers. Roah's grin was even more child-like as he moved a large stone tablet using a giant disembodied hand he'd manifested rather than a invisible cushion of air. Our small crowd of on-lookers ooh'ed and ahh'ed.

I cheerily scanned the crowd and was disturbed to see almost as many scowls as smiles. Some watching weren't happy about our presence.

Suddenly I recognised a face. It was the soldier that had been sent to report our 'capture' to the Captain. He was looking unimpressed and whispering to a couple of others nearby. Whatever he was saying to them wiped their smiles from their faces.

Roah meanwhile had finished with the tablet and was now controlling the movements of an unwieldy chest. He'd given it the appearance of having legs and proceeded to make it 'walk' to the other wagon. The cheers increased in volume, and Roah lapped it up. Srune looked on with amusement as a large pile of books under his control drifted by in a more conventional way. So much was his enjoyment that Roah couldn't help himself as he performed a fairly complex gesture against his palm and released it straight up.

A golden ball flew upwards, trailing a plume of bright purple smoke behind. It'd been sometime since I'd seen a fireshow, let alone performed one, but if there was one thing Roah was good at it was a show. This was one of his favourites. The smoke was changing colours rapidly as the ball flew ever higher. At it's pinnicle the smoke would vanish and then the ball would explode, causing a cascade of golden drops to rain down.

The smoke hadn't even changed colour once before the shout came out. I didn't need to look to know where it'd come from either, I recognised the voice.

"WE'RE UNDER ATTACK, THEY ARE SPIES, THEY'LL KILL US ALL."

It seemed absurd that his shout would cause any trouble, but despite what we'd done the mistrust of mages ran deep and many reacted instinctively. As a general cry of alarm rang out Roah looked about shocked. The golden ball fizzled away almost immediately without his direction but the cries continued, echoed by the messenger's voice rising over the din.

An arrow pinged of a wagon entirely too close for comfort; it was getting out of control. We gathered closer together and Srune quickly gestured a shield around us. A couple more arrows flew close and one hit the shield with a sharp flash. A horn rang out and with relief the crowd parted to reveal the Captain and a number of officers. I quickly discovered that he barely needed Srune's help amplifying his voice as it rang out with ease over the noise.

"CEASE FIRE, AND HOLD."

Immediately all activity stopped and every man turned to stare at him.

"IS THIS SOME KIND OF PARADE THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN TOLD ABOUT. YOU ALL HAVE THINGS TO DO DISMISSED."

Again, barely a second of pause and then every soldier went back to packing the camp without a word. As they went I felt the shield around us subtly fade away.

The Captain walked over to us, arms up to stay any explanation.

"Don't try to explain, I saw what happened. I don't blame you but I'm going to have to ask you keep the magic subdued whilst we're in the open like this. Takes a lot less to make a soldier jumpy these days."

I felt like I should speak up about what I saw, but decided to give a few days. The Captain took polite interest in what we were doing as we finalised our moving, but then excused himself for final preparations.

~

"That should do it," said Srune, his head popping out from the back of the wagon. We can all sit in some comfort now. Still loads left in here too!"

Roah and I made for the entrance and joined Srune inside. Three small chairs just about fitted around a low desk, the remaining contents already piled up around, and under the table and chairs.

"Cosy," I commented dryly. "But at least we can study as we move."

Roah had already taken a seat and was carefully opening a dusty book. "Wow, this is a history book going back to Alchien's time!"

We were both instantly at his side with our own comments of exclamation at the rare find.

"Not even the Library of Sosulv has accurate information on that time."

"Is it complete?"

Roah gently flicked to the the backcover. "No damage at all." He then stopped and looked up at us peering over his shoulder. "There are one or two other books to look at too." He said with a grin.

~

Over the next three days we stayed within the confines of the wagon save for brief breaks. It turned out that Roah's history book was the merest of the wonders we discovered. Every new book or scroll brought more exclamation and interest. In just the first morning we found four more books from Alchien's time, and over a dozen covering the time inbetween. We'd quickly given up reading what we discovered in favour of making an inventory, allowing the amazement to stack up faster and faster.

Early afternoon on the first day of travel saw my own discovery of note. A book written by a scholar of those times, who actually knew Alchien. I couldn't help read a few paragraphs about the first recorded mage ever, a legend across Terrelee.

~

Today I met him for a brief few minutes. I'd been warned not to waste his time with foolish questions so I greeted him respectfully, with my head down and knees bent as is proper. He made me stand, and when I looked upon him he was smiling, and clutching an armful of scrolls.

As I watched him, a few slipped his grasp and fell to the floor. I hastened to pick them up from him, and tried to hand them back. He refused and asked me to assist him carrying them to his study. I agreed of course, and set off after him. As soon as I entered his study he turned around and made some strange movement towards me. The scrolls flew from my grasp and joined the rest already floating to one side.

Shock must have made my mind slow because I blurted out the most foolish of thoughts which I mentally punish myself for now.

"I thought you needed help carrying them..."

His voice was gentle but strong as he laughed.

"Excuse my bending of the truth. I only wished to know some of the foolish questions you hold back from me so that I might answer them in some comfort." As he finished he motioned towards two comfortable armchairs.

My mind was staggered, and I was thankful for the seat.

"So my young friend, ask."

Somehow I managed to gather my thoughts, but was still nervous that I might upset him with my questions.

"I...I..I was hoping to learn more of your ...artform? I have discovered that it is rune-based yet I saw nor heard no incantation when you..levitated those scrolls."

He seemed to think for a moment, studying me. His face was still friendly, but I could not help feeling like the prey of some wild beast awaiting the final blow.

"A good question. Magic is rune based as you have discovered. What you do not know is that those runes can be formed in many ways. Either in word or written form as you expected, but also with a gesture of the hand, or even just a mental image of the rune. I suspect there are other ways too, yet undiscovered."


~

I dragged my eyes from the fasinating personal account. So long ago and already he knew of mental runes. They only worked for stronger mages, and even then only weaker spells, but the very fact he knew of it in that time spoke massively of his power. I longed to read more, but an inventory would be much more useful in finding perhaps crucial information later on. Interesting as it was, it was of little use against the Sempa.

We carried on, long into each night and starting early each morning. The caravan made slow progress towards Etonreh, but we were still on schedule. Small streams had to be crossed, but the efficient soldiers were well prepared with struts and planking, rapidly constructing temporary bridges for the wagons' wheels with barely a delay.

It was the evening of the third day when Srune suddenly got excited. Our tiredness forgotten in a moment we looked over to see what he'd discovered.

"I think I've found mention of the bridge-shield Hunt reactivated."

"I thought he took what he discovered with him?" Roah questioned.

Srune shrugged. "There's a lot here, Hunt would have had no more time than we've had to discover something of use. It was the luck of the gods he found anything but history lessons. It's not surprising he didn't find everything on the subject."

Roah nodded.

"What's it say," I asked.

Srune thought for a while. "From what I can make out, there's no way Hunt activated the shield on his own. It requires a focus."

"A mage," I grunted, inspiration dawning on me.

"Precisely." Srune's eyes gleamed as they tore across the page reading more. "But not as a power source, no mage could power a shield that big. The mage is merely the 'bridge' if you pardon the pun, between the stores of power within Grenton and the shield."

"So Hunt has a mage! Who?" Roah interjected straight to the crucial point.

"I have no idea," we both replied in unexpected unison.

A knock on the side of the wagon broke the conversation. A young soldier's face appeared at the opening, bobbing awkwardly as he leaned in from his horse.

"The Captain requests your presence," he said formally. "I have your horses with me so you can ride to the front."

Looking at each other in wonderment, we carefully climbed out the moving wagon and quickly mounted our own horses.

"What do you think?" Srune whispered to me. I shrugged in reply. The Captain had left us to our research, only appearing once camp was made for a brief chat about our findings. He hadn't asked to see us before.

"We'll soon find out I guess," said Roah as he urged his horse forward past us. We caught up with him, and quickly overtook the caravan. An hour's swift ride found us at a small camp set up by the scouts. The Captain's horse, and a dozen more being held by two soliders clearly indicated his presence.

We were recognised, and our horses taken too, as we were ushered in to the tent.

"Ah, you've arrived. Excellent. Refreshments?"

The Captain's voice sounded strained, almost like he was forcing his way through the niceties. A quick glance around showed we were alone apart from a tired looking soldier wearing a stained cloak. A heavy scroll and the remains of broken wax on the table dominating the middle of the tent made the assumption easy to make. The soldier was a messenger. But of what news?

"I have recieved word from my superiors back in Etonreh."

I saw Srune's eyebrows rise along with my own at the swift exchange of messages. Three days was very tight.

"General Stone sends along his sincere thanks for saving the caravan and for all your assistence so far. He also asks that you read this. We hope you find it interesting."

The Captain stood up and handed a small scroll that was unsealed. I took it, noting how tightly rolled it was. It must have been carried inside the larger one.

I unfurled it and held it out so Srune and Roah could see too.

~

Dear Sirs,

My apologies, but your names are yet to be sent to me.

It was with great pleasure I heard of your unique intervention to prevent the loss of the artifacts so recently unearthed. We spared what resources we could for its protection but without your involvement it would have been in vain and no doubt cost a great number of lives.

It is with a heavy heart, and an unfortunate demonstration of our times, that even before we have chance to meet for the first time I must ask another boon of you.

I'll be as brief as I can.

You may already have heard rumours of Grenton Bridge. A Captain called Hunt found valuable information regarding a potential defence against the Sempa there. The last we heard from him he was well entrenched and had some sort of shield activated. However he feared imminent attack.

We have not received word since.

We ask that you take a brief delay in your return to Etonreh to go to Grenton Bridge and hopefully meet with Captain Hunt. I'd hope that you could assist him in setting up the best defence from any possible attack, and perhaps share anything you've managed to learn from the limited research you've done on the caravan's contents.

Regarding the research. I can authorise you to take anything you think will be useful with you to the bridge, including select contents of the caravan.

I hope to recieve word soon that you have accepted this request and look forward to thanking you personally.

Regards,

General Stone.


~

I looked up at Srune. His face said nothing as his eyes continued to dart across the page.

What would I suggest? If Srune said no, would I go anyway? I tried to get my thoughts straight as he finished reading.
© Copyright 2007 Smee (UN: smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Smee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517835