*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517851
by Smee
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1279340
Here it is... much of my storygame.
#517851 added June 28, 2007 at 8:09am
Restrictions: None
Norral : Combining Options
Chapter 16 : Combining Options

As the three options rolled around my tired mind a flash of resentment at this unnecessary haste went through my head. What would waiting a night matter before I had to choose! I'd only just got back from their last task, surely I deserved a chance to rest before having to choose my next. But the eyes watching me made me swallow such thoughts. I dragged my mind back to task. I wanted to impress them, but also look out for myself. I'd got their attention with the bridge now I needed to bowl them over. Inspiration struck.

"It would be an honour to retrieve the artefacts for you, but it is a long journey to the Capital, I could look for new Initiates on the way too."

As much pleasure as revenge on the mages would have been I'm sure Darak would enjoy it that much more after the Teachers were done with him. With an internal smile I looked forward to him detailing it over several mugs once I was back and he'd succeeded. He always knew to pay special attention to the screams.

"You presume too much," Retonan bit off before the slightest gesture from the Leader made him stop and he spoke himself.

"You ask a lot young Squadleader, yet I think it no idle boast. I see much ambition in your eyes; know that I will reward such ambition should you succeed." His eyes shifted intensity, no longer staring at me, but into me. "I know of what you dabble with, and could show you possibilities with it you've never dreamed of."

I felt the briefest stab of pain at the back of my head and for an infinitesimal moment I could feel a tiny flow of what mana I had remaining seeping out of me. Realisation dawned on me so strongly I couldn't hide the shock from showing on my face. The flow stopped before I'd even comprehended, let alone tried to resist it myself. He knew! Not only did he know, but was beyond advanced in it. What seemed like months ago now, when in reality was only yesterday, I had been thrown backwards trying to take power from an unconscious mage. The Leader had just taken some of my own without even a gesture. I tried to reason with myself, it must be because I'm so tired. Let him try again once I've rested.

With a start I realised he was staring at me, and the anger I was feeling was about to leak onto my face too. With an effort I schooled my expression.

"I would be a most willing student." I replied carefully.

"Then whilst you are completing this task it'll do you good to remember that you are the student." His eyes clearly conveyed the threat veiled in his words. "Retonan will provide the details," he concluded.

The ex-libarian seemed a million miles from his old life as he did exactly that, in clipped tones that could only be interpreted as orders.

"The first, recruitment of potential initiates, is simple enough. You will be shown how to detect the power in those too young to have it manifest yet. But don't restrict your search to those still tied to their mother’s apron strings, we need those who can fight now as well as those that will be our future. Any 'Sempa' can be shown the true path, or even a Shokun."

The disgust he put on the word 'Sempa' was only bested by the pure hatred that coloured Shokun. I grimaced too. Even if I did somehow convert one of the Shokun he wouldn't even be trusted enough to clean the Elders latrines for years, it was unlikely any would be so devoted, even to a cause as righteous as ours.

"You will tell them the vision, and you will test their powers. Nothing more. You will leave their training for when they get back here. As such, I would recommend not searching for them until on your way back from Sosulv or you will have to mind them whilst trying to recover the artefacts. I hope it goes without saying that they should have nothing to do with the locating, or retrieval of the artefacts. If possible they shouldn't even be aware of them, and certainly not of their...properties."

I tried not to show even a tiny portion of my sudden interest at mention of the artefacts. What could they do!.

"As for that part of your task. You will be given guidance on how to locate the person in Sosluv who can provide you more information. Until then you don't need to know more."

More secrets. I don't know why I was still surprised. Despite it only being my second formal meeting with the Elders surely I expected as much. A thought suddenly occurred.

"Am I to go alone?"

"Too many would prove...cumbersome once you make it to the Capital. Yet too few will limit the number of potentials you could bring back. You may take two of your choice with you."

Only two! Immediately my abused mind began running names through my head. Who could I take?

"Scrolls will be provided for you with the information you need. You are dismissed."

It took me a second to realise I'd finally heard the words I'd wanted to hear for the last two days. Ever since I knew there was a Shokun in the Keep I'd been waiting to know it was over by hearing those words. With massive relief, and a near overwhelming rush of exhaustion, I turned to leave. AS I did I caught the Leaders gaze, staring placidly now, but I could see both the threat and the promise held there as if he had shouted it at me. I shuddered unconsciously at what he'd done to me with such ease. I opened the door and left.

A chosen stood there once again with a few scrolls, but this time I barely noticed him and wearily took them into my arms. Arriving back in my quarters I dumped them on to the desk, undressed and collapsed on my bedroll, almost instantly asleep.
© Copyright 2007 Smee (UN: smeedyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Smee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517851