*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517920-Introduction-A-New-Dawn
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1283386
A fantasy story about an escaped princess in unusual circumstances.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#517920 added June 28, 2007 at 4:10pm
Restrictions: None
Introduction: A New Dawn
The sun crept slowly over the horizon, extending tendrils of light that grasped at the face of a young woman. Though her midnight-black hair had been cut short, her features were too pristine to pass for an ordinary farm boy. It would also be seen that underneath the traveling cloak was not the customary combination of a shirt and breeches, but a gem-adorned gown. The hem was muddied and there were several tears, but its craftsmanship was to fine to go unnoticed in the newly shining daylight. As the sun continued to ascend, it revealed that her sharp green eyes looked more often to the deserted road she had already traveled than to what lay ahead.

The lack of traffic wasn’t surprising, for nearly every traveler had been going to Niachol to attend Princess Seriana’s 16th birthday celebration, which had been celebrated the previous night. Nobles from all over Amosela and the surrounding kingdoms had come to the feast and ball on royal invitation. Ordinary townsfolk came to see the grand parade starting in the center of the city and ending at the castle. However, most of the people present were traders, entertainers and peasants. They lined every road in the city, advertising their wares in a raucous jumble of voices, performing acrobatics and shortened plays, or simply asking for money and food from visitors and vendors alike. Overall, the entire city was in a carnival mood, filled with food and festivities.

Seriana continued her trek towards Losankra. She had made good time from last evening, considering that she didn’t have a horse and the road was nearly as marshy as the surrounding area. She mentally scolded herself for not putting the parade as a factor in her escape plan. Not only were all the palace horses strutting down the main road, but the majority of the visitors were congesting the easiest way out of the palace. Seriana had been forced to take a side road that housed quite a few of Niachol’s less pleasant people. It was easy enough to slip past the drunken guards at the West Gate, but she had been absolutely terrified of being recognized all the way from just outside the palace’s back exit to the beginning of the road to Losankra. Then, however, she had enjoyed being outside Niachol for the very first time in her life. Seriana confidently strode down the road, listening to the sounds of the marsh around her and gazing at the stars. They had seemed to be throbbing with an intense feeling which Seriana finally understood; freedom …… freedom ………….. freedom…………..
© Copyright 2007 Kiara Allerion (UN: kiara_allerion at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kiara Allerion has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/517920-Introduction-A-New-Dawn