*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518308-How-I-Poured-Over-Star-Wars
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#518308 added July 1, 2007 at 2:42am
Restrictions: None
How I Poured Over Star Wars
The L.A. County Public Library branch near me just acquired a 360 plus page coffetable hardback on The Making of Star Wars, a topic I would've sworn to you, "I am over." But I really was engrossed. The real essence of the struggle to birth this movie is written, both in exposition and through following the creative process, bit by bit in seeing portions of the first through fourth drafts of the screenplay.

I feel like every authoritative magazine article I've read on Star Wars or George Lucas, only allowed half-truths. Maybe insight into the "making" (besides the post-production effects) was never considered high on the general public's interest list. After reading this book, almost in its entirety, however, I find that was very, very important to me. The struggle to write a marketable story is very close to my reality, now, as it was to young George Lucas thirty-four years ago.

I think the journalists covering the beginning, re-release, and subsequent sequels and prequels just never had the insight to dig or research. In this volume, every influence during George Lucas' writing process is pieced together or at least speculated on. The photos and drawings are more "insider" or archival than any previous volume related to the Star Wars franchise. That, plus the depth of insight into the rewriting progress that had Lucas define his universe in a one to two year window, actually made this seventy-five dollar book attractive to me. And I counted myself as someone who'd given up my childhood love of Star Wars.

© Copyright 2007 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518308-How-I-Poured-Over-Star-Wars