*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518321-illegal-immigration
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#518321 added July 2, 2007 at 1:07am
Restrictions: None
illegal immigration
I saw an article by Dr. Patrick Jonston recently. Below is just a bit of what he said.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Johnston/patrick11.htm

The illegal immigration crisis offers wonderful opportunities to judge the integrity of our leaders: will they abide by their oath to uphold the Constitution and enforce immigration law, or will they capitulate to powerful business interests and strong globalist forces and perpetuate lawlessness?

What does the law say about illegal immigration? Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, "Improper Entry by Alien," anyone who “Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers” has committed a federal crime. Violations are punishable by fines and/or prison, and, according to the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 237 (a)(1)(B): “Any alien who is present in the United States in violation of this Act or any other law of the United States is deportable."


I guess I just don't understand. If people are in the U.S. illegally, there are laws that address that. Why have those laws been ignored?

Some say the reason is that Americans don't want the jobs that illegals have. That's probably true - if they are being paid less than minimum wage.

Back in about 1993, my son and his father and I moved to Central Florida. I remember the first time I saw a bus load of migrant workers. I'm sure many of them were here illegally. They didn't speak much English. And day after day, the bus that transported them to the orange groves stopped at a convenience store about six miles from our house. (It was the closest store to our home, and sometimes I stopped there for milk or bread, since the nearest grocery store was another four miles or more away.)

I thought it was odd that the bus had a porta-potty attached to the back of the bus, but that the foremen never filled up a large container with ice. Instead, the workers each ventured into the store to buy a soda, which is not the best drink when working in the hot Florida sun. The foremen of construction crews in the area always had a tub or two of ice and jugs of water. Why didn't the orange groves provide these amenities to their workers? Probably because they didn't know any better and could not complain.

I knew a few public school teachers. The migrant children attended school when they were in the area, but the usually didn't spend long there before moving on to another part of the state or the country. I learned from the teachers that the families were provided "company housing" and there was also a "company store." The workers did not make much money, but I guess it was more than they would have made back in their home country. The conditions in which they lived and worked were reminisant of the 1940's. It amazed me these conditions still existed in the early 1990's.

I suppose this is why politicians and businesses can proclaim that these workers perform jobs that no one else wants to do. Of course they don't, if they won't be paid properly.

It was about the year 2000 when I looked into what was required to move to Canada. Back then, they required that one be marrying a Canadian who could support you or have a guaranteed good job waiting for you or come across the border with at least $10,000 in available funds. I'm sure the requirements are similar today.

Why is it that we cannot have similar requirements? And enforce them?

The article I mentioned above says that between 36 and 42 percent of illegal immigrants are on welfare. That wouldn't happen in Canada. I doubt it would happen anywhere else either.

Why do we let this persist?






© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518321-illegal-immigration