*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523778-Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1296868
A story about a ruined earth. It's an adventure set in 700 years.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#523778 added July 26, 2007 at 1:52am
Restrictions: None
Prologue
The Eternal Wind’s Eye
Prologue

In 2100, the president of America announced that 99% of the world’s power came from solar or from the new geothermal power plants located deep in the earth’s crust. This was the start of a golden age for the Humanity. With this proclamation the world rejoiced, for finally they had found a way to enjoy all their favorite comforts and save the beauty of nature for the first time on a global scale.
Twenty years later, the Chinese discovered and adapted a type of bacteria that they called Lune. This bacteria was completely edible and under the right conditions would double every night. It was versatile too, Lune could be pounded into flour or made into an oatmeal type dish among many other options. All that the Lune required was an area that was moist, dark, and warm. By the year 2140, nearly every house hold in the world owned a Lune tank of some size. World hunger was reduced by over seventy percent.
A satellite went up sixty years later, a satellite that projected a magnetic field. This magnetic field set up a wind that conducted heat all over the world, bringing heat in the tropics down by five to ten degrees while the colder regions were heated with an increase of the same amount. Earth became a tropic and temperate planet, almost overnight.
However, the greater they are the harder they fall. On April 2nd, in the year 2253, disaster struck. The four biggest of the geothermal power plants blew up in a massive chain reaction. This disrupted the earth’s crust, causing humongous upheavals and all the continents of the world fragmented into hundreds of bitesized islands and small islands. During the earthquakes, the highly developed computer bank that ran the satellite was damaged and the satellite changed it’s position by a few degrees, but that was more than enough.
The satellite created winds that ripped across the world at speeds in excess of three hundred miles an hour. These winds were only present at a height of fifty feet, above ground level but almost all the solar panels were above fifty feet. Also, all the major cities were destroyed, for nearly all their buildings were taller than fifty feet. The world was devastated and the few humans left greived. Humankind was enormously distraught, for there were less than five hundred million humans left, compared to the over eight billion before the day of ruin. The loss of technology drove many mad, and they turned into entire tribes of animals. They reproduced and brought their young up into the madness and so their young became savages such as them.
Five hundred years later, the world is desolate. The incredible erosion has caused so much dust to spring into the wind canopy that the entire world is covered by swirling dust clouds. The little rain that they can get is completely unpredictable and lightning strikes erratically. The humans have developed a city-state world. The cities are in constant bickering and the tribes of wildmen are the same. Science has become a thing of sorcerers. Science, what was once the treasure of humanity, is now limited to the use of a few men who don’t understand it, who know the terrible weapons they hold only enough to point and pull the trigger.
© Copyright 2007 SamScrewtape (UN: runicdragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SamScrewtape has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523778-Prologue