*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523829-Chickens
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1188536
Ink is the strongest drug, the deepest ocean, the longest journey and the strangest love..
#523829 added July 26, 2007 at 10:44am
Restrictions: None
Chickens!
Yeah, haven't mentioned it except in the last post, but I've had chickens since about April.

Today, when I was letting them out, I found our rooster trapped underneath the nesting boxes. Stupid thing had gone down headfirst into the little gap between the box and the log that we had put under it to keep the hens from laying their eggs down there. He had gotten stuck, from his head up to his wings, under the box. So I pulled the log out and darned if the stupid thing went all the way under the nesting boxes, so I had to shoo him out of there and take out another log so that he could get out... Then I had to replace the logs.

The reason we have logs under there right now is because we found our first egg yesterday (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and it was underneath the nesting boxes in the corner. The only reason I found it was because I was looking for nicer looking feathers. Then I saw this little brown round thing and thought "hmmmmm... what could that be?"

Pretty cool stuff that... We've got 11 hens, a rooster named Hound Dog, and four guineas. Yup. And we hope to get more later on... Those guineas are funny... And our rooster learned to crow over July 4th week. He was so funny, because at first it just sounded like a dog baying (hence the name we gave him) and slowly he learned to really say "cock a doodle dooo!" It took him a while and he made a lot of false starts, but he got it. It's kind of funny when you think about it, a rooster having to learn how to crow, but I guess it's like babies learning to talk...

Anyhoo, nothing more to say as of yet... Bye bye.

~SilverGryphon

© Copyright 2007 SilverGryphon (UN: silvergryphon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SilverGryphon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523829-Chickens