*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524110-Short-Story-Writing
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#524110 added July 27, 2007 at 6:12pm
Restrictions: None
Short Story Writing
Just thought I'd write about short story writing. I'm just finishing up a story called "The Wolf's Kiss," in which a werewolf falls in love. It's going to be entered in a supernatural short story contest where the prompt of the contest is "a vampire or werewolf falls in love with a human."

Now, with a prompt like that, I decided to focus on the romantic elements of the story. Most contests like this have a word limit usually between 2,000 to 3,000 words, but thankfully this contest doesn't. In fact, my story could easily be expanded into a novel. And who knows - I just might one day. hehe

Before I even started writing though, I had to outline a plot, characters, and time and place. I decided I wanted to go with a "period" piece and picked Hungary, 1901 as my time and setting. To narrow it down, I looked at a map of Hungary and picked the city of Fonyod on the coast of Lake Balaton. Lake Balaton is the largest lake in Hungary. This setting gives me the liberty to use the lake as a romantic backdrop in the story. Then I went on to pick my characters.

I didn't want too many characters since this is a short story. With that in my mind, I came up with Count Mathias Duma. He's the Count of Fonyod and he's also a werewolf. His afflication haunts him in that he's become withdrawn. My female lead is Katherine Douglas who grew up in London and goes to Hungary to be a governess to Mathias's 4 year old daughter, Emily. She's the human in the story. The obstacle - Mathias is a werewolf. Will Katherine fall in love with him?

With this in mind I plotted out scenes. Since I didn't want to use a shifting POV, I decided to tell the story in the first person, shifting between Mathias and Katherine. The breaks are clearly marked and the reader is made very aware who is speaking. It's something a little different, but I don't think will be jarring to the reader. For me, the whole ambience of the romance is understanding the characters and the first person is fabulous for romance stories in that regard.

It's important to work out the plot, structure, and conflict of the story before writing so you know where you're going with the story. Also, it helps to work out the setting, symbols and characters. A good outline will help the story shine. Here's an except of "The Wolf's Kiss."

*******



Hungary

1901





Mathias




I was nervous, apprehensive, yet a part of me was hopeful as my eyes looked out the window to find the carriage making its way up the dirt road to my ancestral estate. A woman was coming to the castle - a woman who I hoped would take the position of governess to my four-year-old daughter, Emily.

I stood up from behind my desk, walked to the window, and stared at the coach. I sent my finest to fetch her from the train station in Fonyód proper. Dark clouds blew in from the north over Lake Balaton. My estates bordered the lake, and on a clear day, you could see for miles. My eyes narrowed. My skin grew unseasonably cool. Even now, I felt lonely despite the fact I would have company soon.

The carriage stopped in front of the castle steps and I watched my footman help the woman out. My heart grew light. She was as beautiful as before. Her long tawny hair fell down past her shoulders, and her sensitive, sweet hazel eyes made my heart skip a beat. She smiled at the footman, an offer of thanks for his help and my lips curled into a jealous snarl. I wanted that smile reserved for my presence only. Still, I had no right to ask for it, beast that I was. Quickly, I raced to the mirror next to the bookshelf in my study and ran a hand through my thick hair, tussling the curls into shape. I straightened the lapel of suit and smiled, not too broadly, afraid to disclose my unnatural teeth.

There was a knock on the door.

"Enter." I clasped my hands behind my back hiding my nervousness from her.

She walked into my study, bringing her bright light, my valet at her side.

"Count Mathias Duma, Miss Katherine Douglas," my man announced.

Humbled, I bowed before her, almost afraid to look into her mesmerizing eyes. "Miss Douglas."

She lifted her skirt, delivering her curtsey with a natural grace I knew she possessed. "Count Duma."

I looked at my valet. "You may leave."

He nodded his head and promptly did as I commanded. Katherine looked apprehensive.

"When we're together, you may call me Mathias."

"Isn't that a breach of protocol?" she asked. She stood next to the door, unsure of her surroundings and I knew I had to put her at ease.

"Perhaps, but I'm not so strict here in the country," I replied.

I spied the hint of a smile tease her tender lips. "I noticed. Shouldn't I have curtseyed to you first?"

I felt my cheeks redden. "Like I said, I'm not much for protocol in the country. May I call you Kate?"

Finally that smile I wanted peeked out from her lips. "My friends call me Kate, but you can call me Katherine - Mathias."

"I'm not your friend?"

"Not yet. You have to earn my friendship. Besides, if I am to be a governess to your daughter, we should have some formalities between us."

"I see - Katherine."

"You know, you're not quite what I expected you to be," she said.

I motioned for her to sit on the couch and I took the chair across from her. "What were you expecting? An old man with gray hair?"

"With yellow teeth and balding," she added, smiling. "It was a grim picture, I assure you, so I apologize. You're nothing of the sort."

I chuckled. "Oh, that is a dismal picture. Would you like some refreshment? Some tea perhaps?"

"Do you have water?"

"I do." Without hesitation, I went to the bar near the window and poured a glass of water from a chilled pitcher. As I presented it to her, her hand rested against mine, sending tingles throughout my limb. I paused, elated by her incidental touch. There was no fear in it, only kindness.

"Do I know you, Mathias?"

"Perhaps."

"So...we've met before? I mean, your eyes - I know them."

"Three months ago at Lord Archibald's ball," I replied.

"Lord Archibald's masquerade ball," she corrected.

"I was the pilgrim you danced with."

I saw her cheeks blush as she suddenly jerked her hand from mine, clutching her glass. Both of us were aware of the brief, yet sweet kiss our mouths shared that night. It was a kiss that I hoped would offer me salvation. She didn't fear me or shun me, but instead welcomed the trespass I took that night. Even now I could see in her eyes that our kiss was a pleasant memory for her.

"Ah, well, I see. And, ah, when do I get to meet Emily?"

I sat down, smiling at her. She needed time. This discovery was unexpected to her. "I'll call for her shortly."

"Why me?" she asked abruptly. "What happened to Emily's mother? Why do you need a governess?"

I clasped my hands in front of me, saddened by the thought of Elizabeth. "Two years ago we were riding in a carriage, coming from Fonyód and we were attacked by a pack of wolves. They killed my wife, leaving me barely alive. Her loss was devastating to me."

"I'm sorry, Mathias," she replied. She reached out and put her hand over my mine, squeezing tight. Again, I was happy for her touch.

"So, ah, how did you come to know Lord Archibald?" she continued.

"We went to school together in Paris."

"He spoke very highly of you. He said you were a man of principal, who had done a lot to help the people of Lake Balaton."

"And did he tell you anything else?"

"He said you were also moody and brooding," she replied. "But I find you kind and welcoming."

I smiled at that. "Whatever you need for Emily don't hesitate to ask. If I have to send to Budapest for it, I will. I want my daughter to receive a proper upbringing."

"Thank you, Mathias."

"And whatever you need, ask. I will grant what I can within reason."

"Within reason? What do you think I'm going to ask for?" She sounded surprised.

"To leave." I stood up abruptly and shoved my hands into my pockets.

"And I reserve the right to leave if I want. I'm in a strange country with a strange man I hardly know," she replied.

Her reply felt like a silver arrow piercing my flesh, but I knew if I did not give her the choice to leave, she would grow to resent me, and I didn't think I could bear it. I turned away, sulking.

"Mathias." Her voice sounded demanding.

"I will refuse you nothing," I finally said.

It grew still. Then I felt her hand touch my elbow as she stepped out from behind me. "Thank you."

"I'll have Emily sent for," I said, shrugging away from her. She said nothing, only watching with her sweet eyes as I left the room to find my daughter.


© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524110-Short-Story-Writing