*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526390-
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#526390 added August 7, 2007 at 11:27am
Restrictions: None
A God’s Eye View
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
         and knit me together in my motherā€™s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
         Your workmanship is marvelousā€”how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
         as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
         Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
         before a single day had passed.
~ Psalm 139:13-16

A few days ago, my neighbor and I talked about ultrasounds.

ā€œThey are neat; you keep thinking, ā€˜wow, I created that,ā€™ā€ he said.

I didnā€™t say it, but my reaction was, ā€œI didnā€™t create anything.ā€

Sure, a little human grows inside me, but I have little to do with it except provide the raw materials. Even then, I have little control over that except by what I eat. I am but the incubator.

All I can lay claim to is Dave and I opening ourselves to the possibility of children. God took care of the rest.

Some believe that although God watches over everything and everyone, he doesnā€™t have a literal hand in every flower that blooms, or every human conceived. He doesnā€™t necessarily decide where every seed will fall, or which sperm will meet each egg. I lean toward this belief as well. Thatā€™s why he created DNA. It is the blueprint, and nature then reads that blueprint to build from.

And yet, I firmly believe God watches his creation grow, even delights in it. If Iā€™m excited about little Thomas (Kidney Beanā€™s real name. We have yet to decide on a middle name, though) moving and growing, surely God is more enthralled than I am.

Because of technology available today, specifically the ultrasound, many expecting parents get a glimpse of what for millennia has been the sole purview of God. Itā€™s a black and white, two-dimensional fuzzy view, but still leaves many silent with awe.

I wonā€™t discover the babyā€™s hair color, eye color, if heā€™ll be tall and skinny like his dad, or short and stout (yep, Iā€™m a little teapot) like me until after heā€™s born. I also donā€™t know his likes, dislikes, what heā€™ll be good at or have to work hard for, if heā€™ll laugh like his dad or his mom, and ten-thousand other little details of his physique and personality.

These are still the details only God has knowledge of, and heā€™s not telling. Iā€™m glad, though. It still leaves room for mystery, and gives this mere human the anticipation of discovery.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526390-