*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/527709
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1304672
A fantasy tale of friends facing off against foe.
#527709 added August 13, 2007 at 2:44am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 16: Lucky
A night out with homosexuals, transsexuals, cross-dressers, and transvestites was enough to make him miss home. Things there might not always be safe, but at least they were predictable. He was grateful for his time away but he knew he’d have to face his mother sooner or later.

The next morning he stopped by to check the bottle count again. He could hear them clinking together at the bottom of the trash when he lifted the liner. Less than the day before, which was a good thing. He’d be sure to go straight home, do his homework, and make sure not to get in his mom’s way when she got home.

When he got to school he was greeted by Alex. She clung to him the way she used to when they first started dating. Surprisingly, he didn’t mind. In fact, he actually enjoyed it. They walked to each class with arms hooked or hands in the other’s pockets. During passing time, whatever few minutes before the bell rang they spent making out.

By lunch he was feeling on top of the world. Such good feelings never lasted though. As he was walking to where he normally sat during lunch, he saw a rather tall figure looming near the tree. Clad in all black with accents of silver, he might not have thought anything of him if it wasn’t for the multicolored hair that stuck up in spikes all over head.

Shifting the strap of his backpack from one shoulder to another, he hurried over to the tree before anyone else could see him. He had to wonder what story he made up in order to gain a visitor’s pass from the office for the lunch hour.

“What the fuck do think you’re doing here?”

The man slowly turned away from the tree to face him. The mischievous grin he wore worked to thoroughly frighten him. Peeking out from between those pink lips of his were very white fangs. He knew there was no such thing as vampires, but he feared for his life nonetheless.

“I told you, you were going to need me soon. I have to test your abilities.”

There were six, and he was the second oldest of them all, so he knew the abilities. One to provide eternal protection. One who moved through realms with ease. The one with premonitions, who would bring them all together. The one with all the information, which would be key to success. One who could read objects to manipulate scenarios and one to save them all.

There were many smaller gifts given of course, but that was not how he recognized any of them. In fact, he already knew Lucky was the guardian. He also knew the drawback to that position. Just to be sure though, he brought the girl with him.

Crossing his slender arms over his thin chest, he tipped his head to the left. A single brow arched as he waited for Lucky to great his guest. Instead, he glared, as though this was all some sort of joke.

“I think you’ve lost your mind.” He didn’t know the other at all. Maybe he’d had no mind to lose in the first place.

The bell rang and he knew everyone would be filing out of their classes for lunch any second. He needed this guy to leave before anyone saw him. They’d think he was a crazy for talking to someone who looked like he did. Or worse yet, they’d think he was cool and want him to hang out more often. He couldn’t have either.

“Me? You’re the one who can’t see the little girl at me side. She’s quite upset about it as well.”

Malachai glanced down to where the man tilted his head, having expected that something would appear to make him seem as though he were foolish. Even as he squinted to see if he couldn’t maybe sharpen the edges of a newly appeared image. He saw nothing.

“No. See, there’s no little girl. You’re trying to make me look crazy. Now get out of here before someone sees you.”

Slightly dismayed that he’d be treated like a pest after he was ensuring Lucky’s safety, he couldn’t help but be a little snarky. “Yeah, you’d hate that, wouldn’t you?” Reaching with his left hand, he looked like he was preparing to escort someone smaller than what he was. Maybe there was a little girl with him. Yeah right. Maybe Kenneth had been married to a famous fashion designer as well.

He didn’t even blink and he freak was gone. Just like he’d never been there. It was all for the best though, because his friends were quickly approaching.
© Copyright 2007 Adla Brown (UN: adlabrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adla Brown has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/527709