*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/527715
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1304672
A fantasy tale of friends facing off against foe.
#527715 added August 13, 2007 at 2:57am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 18: Relearning
Living in a void was no fun. Neither here nor there. Brecker didn’t really exist anywhere. At the same time, he existed everywhere and he did it with few complications. Parts of his actual life were slightly altered since he wasn’t an active participant one hundred percent of the time. Being on autopilot did have its faults, but after those long years, he thought he’d done just fine. The longer he listened to her stories, the better he felt about everything.

“You only took six years to find everyone. It’s remarkable that you located them so quickly. Especially since they’ve all taken on such different forms from what you knew before. The rumor was that you’d find four and that would be it. No one imagined you’d fine Winter first.”

“Sorry I took the suspense out of it.”

She laughed so sweetly that his teeth ached just listening to her. He still had no idea who she was or how she was going to help. Perhaps her entire purpose was to rejuvenate him. If that was the case, she was doing a fine job so far.” Never before did he feel so relaxed and so energetic at the same time.

“Between doing everything backwards and breaking almost every single rule, you kept everyone on their toes. You’ve been a joy to follow.”

“You make me sound like a reality program for television.”

“I suppose in a way you are, only not for television. Just for those of us who know and accept our existence. Those who do not understand have been missing out.”

“What about those who don’t understand what?”

Those magical eyes of hers seemed to lose some of their luster. At once, he felt reluctant to press the matter. If he tossed in the casual “Just kidding”, maybe al would be well again. Suppose she asked him something relevant though? He could not be so foolish.

“About our alternate realms. I’m one of the lucky few that have had their minds changed at the last possible moment. We’re all conditioned to believe that our existence is limited and that once it’s over you move on to Heaven. Everyone moves on and is entirely at peace for all of eternity.”

Though he didn’t know all of what she spoke of, he did not believe in Heaven, for as long as he could remember he knew there was more than one god. His mother was religious though, and he entertained her by allowing her to speak on her beliefs whenever he did visit.

“Sure everyone questions their faith every now and again, but ultimately people believe in happy endings. I was shown something at the last moment, something that scared me. I’m glad to be where I am. Even though this particular existence is a little grim.”

“I’m happy to hear you were saved.” Although the details were still a bit fuzzy for him, the main picture was in the background and well within his grasp. “I am genuinely surprised to see you at this age. Most lose at least one in their younger years. The first time is usually the only time such an offer is made. Unless, of course, some important discovery is made later on. Then the invitation may be extended twice, but never more.”

“Quite happy to be here myself.”

“If this existence is so grim for you, why are we here?”

There seemed to be absolutely nothing around them. Of course, they weren’t really anywhere so that made sense. Like living only in someone’s memory. Certain details were always forgotten and eventually settings were eliminated.

“Unfortunately, this is the only realm in which we know each other.”

Furrowing his brow lightly, he tried to think up how he could have missed her in every thread of existence, but still need her assistance. There were very few solutions he could put his faith in. Only one actually came to mind.

“Alternates?”

In every existence they might have been able to share, the situation called for either of them but not both. So their paths never actually crossed. At least her position was better explained to him now.

“What do you know?”

A sliver of light finally shone through the shadows and he rose at once. This was what she’d been preparing him for. Just like when he first learned he could only move when the opportunity arose. Naturally, he had a feeling that wasn’t always the way though.

“Not nearly enough. I’ll keeping working on it though.”

Glancing back to her, he noted she made no move to stand and join him. Of course, as she’d stated just a minute before, they didn’t exist together in any other realm. Having her move with him would be pointless.

“You’ll be here when I return? Really here?” He didn’t fully understand his own clarification but she seemed to.

“Yes.”

That was all he needed to know. Through to the lightness he stepped and found himself in an overstuffed armchair opposite a dark looking man, a desk between them. He took a second to get himself acquainted before he was able to focus on his new task at hand.

“Oskar.”

“All right, fine. I’ll see if we can’t cancel the third day of that. I know you thought three would be too many but Friday had always been sort of iffy and right now you could use all the exposure you can handle. You really should have timed this better. The years of controversy are over. If you’d released with the last election, you would have been better off. Holidays, I know they’re important to you but-“

“Oskar,” he said a little curtly, “are you one of the six?”

The pencil that he’d held in his hand to point at the calendar with during his speech of schedules was slowly let down to rest on top of the calendar. Leaning back in his chair, he let the palms of his hands rest against his stomach. A very little smile creeped over his lips as he stared at him.

“Welcome back.”

That said and nothing else, he put away the papers he had strewn on his desk. From that drawer he produced a small key. Wheeling out from behind his desk and then standing, he walked to where Brecker sat. Lowering himself to the arm of the chair, he offered him the key and a broader smile.

“Thank you.”
© Copyright 2007 Adla Brown (UN: adlabrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adla Brown has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/527715