*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/528266
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(128)
Rated: NPL · Book · Fantasy · #1298107
A boy seeks to rescue his sister and accidentally becomes part of an ancient legend.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#528266 added August 15, 2007 at 6:16am
Restrictions: None
Prologue

   “Tell me a story!”

   Smiling, Krisha turned around again. “Now, Shri, it’s late. You should have been asleep already.”

   Shri slapped his hands on his bed. “Story!” he repeated. “A good one!”

   Krisha lit a candle and sat on a stool by Shri’s bedside. Through the window on his other side she could see fireflies dancing in the darkness, and a few other windows across the village were still illuminated.

   “Very well,” she said. “What’ll it be? How about a story about a princess?”

   “No. I said a good story. About a warrior!”

   Krisha chuckled a little. “If you insist.”

   From the stable next door, a horse neighed softly, as if it too wanted a proper story.

   Krisha thought for a moment.

   “A long time ago,” she began, “there was a famous hero named Kryon. He traveled far and wide, defending towns from bandits, rescuing princesses from evil sorcerors… the sort of deeds heroes are famous for.

   “One day, a demon came to the land and took control as king. He formed grand armies and marched across his kingdom, taking anything of value from the people and using it to pay for his horrible wars. It was a very dark time.

   “Kryon had been away in a distant land at the time. When he returned to find the people in terror and this demon king in control, he vowed to put a stop to it (because that’s what heroes do…).”

   By now Shri’s eye’s were drooping—Krisha could tell he would fall asleep any minute. Time for the big finale… she thought.

   “Kryon fashioned a silver medallion and, with the help of a powerful wizard, gave the medallion the power to defeat the demon king. Armed with this, he set out to find the demon king. They had a terrible battle that lasted for days, until Kryon’s courage and the power of the medallion finally won. The demon king was defeated, never to hurt people again.

   “The people were so overjoyed by the victory that they made Kryon their new king, and he ruled justly and honorably. And the kingdom was safe and happy at last.”

   Krisha smiled at Shri, who had flopped over sideways and was snoring. Straightening him out, she tucked him in and kissed him on the forehead.

   “Goodnight, my little hero.”

   She blew out the candle and left the room, closing the door quietly behind her.
© Copyright 2007 BD Mitchell (UN: anigh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BD Mitchell has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/528266