*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/530387-CBS-and-Kid-Nation
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#530387 added August 24, 2007 at 1:59pm
Restrictions: None
CBS and Kid Nation
When I saw the first mention of Kid Nation, I wondered about the show. I had some bad feelings...

I didn't see the ABC mention of CBS' Kid Nation this morning, but I did find it on Yahoo when I logged on. It seems my fears about this show were probably right on.

First, I have to wonder what the parents were thinking. Seriously. They all signed 22 page contracts giving CBS and the Kid Nation producers the right to tell their kids what to do and how to do it for 40 days. For $5,000. There's a confidentialty clause that says they'll be fined $5 million if they come forward and share "secrets" about the show.

The parents took their children - ages 8 to 15 - out of school to be on this show last Spring. A show where the kids were in charge of themselves. Except where CBS might tell them they had to do things or couldn't do things.

What were the parents thinking????????

And CBS? They selected a state that has more lax laws about child labor? I always thought there were federal laws about child labor. The kids had no running water. Obviously no sanitary conditions, if there was not even running water. CBS didn't announce their presence, like they would usually do when setting up a TV show anywhere in the country. They quietly sneaked in, filmed for 40 days, and by the time authorities were alerted, they were gone. The reason? They were doing something quite out of the ordinary. Illegal? Probably. If these kids were real TV actors, they would have had teachers on the set. They would have only been allowed to work for a certain number of hours and days each week.

Here's what ABC had to say about this today. And a TV critic...who said the trailers made him want to puke.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/223/popup/index.php?cl=3824834

Are you outraged about this? I am - at both CBS and the parents.

There are quite a few CBS shows that hubby and I watch. We're not ones who have to watch shows every time they're on. *Smile* But we have been known to watch these shows: CSI, Shark, NCIS, Numbers, Jericho, Cold Case, Without a Trace.

The TV critic in the ABC clip thinks that Kid Nation will never air. I hope he's right. I've done my part. I went to CBS feedback to let them know that even though I enjoy a number of CBS shows, I'll give up watching every one of them if this show airs.

But that's just me...


© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/530387-CBS-and-Kid-Nation