*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/531473-Sufficient-Grace
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#531473 added August 30, 2007 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
Sufficient Grace
I struggle with how to respond to well meaning Christian friends who say, "If you just prayed harder..." or "If you just believed more...". They seem to think that my chronic pain is my own fault, that if I prayed harder God would take away my pain away.

When I'm having a bad day, comments like this really get to me. I begin to wonder if these well meaning folks might just be right.

Then I remember that Jesus asked that to take the cup from him.

Mark 14:35-36 NIV
Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

And I remember that Paul asked three times that his affliction be taken away.

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 NIV
To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Although I cannot really rejoice and be glad FOR my trials, I can learn to be thankful IN them.

James 1:2-4 NIV
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

I think I am able to do that. I think I am able be joyful in spite of my pains and ailments. That was proven at the hearing before a judge last month about my Social Security disability claim. The judge commented, "All of your doctors have noted that in spite of your pain, you appear to be happy."

I am happy. Even today when the pain is so great that even my skin and my scalp hurt and the thought of anyone or anything touching me makes me cringe.

When the thought of human touch makes me back away because the pain is so great, God chooses at that moment to wrap His arms around me and give me a heavenly hug. And I can go on. I can perservere. After all, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/531473-Sufficient-Grace